Microsoft delays Windows 10 Mobile upgrade until early next year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has some bad news for those running Windows Phone 8.1 devices - the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile won't be released in December after all. As such, the only way to try Microsoft's new OS this year (outside of the Windows Insider program) is to buy one of its two new handsets - the Lumia 950 or the Lumia 950 XL.

Gabe Aul, corporate vice president of the engineering systems team at Microsoft, recently announced the publishing of a cumulative update for Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586. In the post, Aul revealed that due to the holidays, the engineering team will be running at a slower pace and many of the key people who drive the process will be out (Aul included).

As such, they won't be releasing any new builds to Windows Insiders until January. That goes for both PC and mobile applications.

In a brief statement to ZDNet, a spokesperson for Microsoft said the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade will begin rolling out early next year to select existing Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 phones. The spokesperson didn't specify exactly which devices would or wouldn't be eligible for the update.

Microsoft officially unveiled its new flagship smartphones in early October after accidentally listing the devices on the Microsoft Store a week ahead of schedule. Both handsets went on sale in November.

Permalink to story.

It's delayed because it's far from ready and won't be tolerated by the marketplace in it's present form.
MS is in damage control mode. Anyone in the 'Insider' program knows very well why.

It's a mess ...

Last edited:
This means older handsets will not see it until 2017 then. As much as I despise Apple they are doing a lot right whereas MS have a lot to learn.

I speculate easily xmas 2016 to early 2017... by then, andriod will be onto version 8 and IOS will be to 11 :)

I am a solid windows Fan through and Through, the delays and poor investment in this program has pushed me to really consider Android on the basis that Android has everything now that I will be needing.

I am sad that the said mentioned developments are delays due to a "Holiday" excuse... This has costed Microsoft loosing ANOTHER supporter that will be defecting to Android

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is what I will be taking in April Next year, Goodbye Microsoft

Android will be onto ver. 8? Maybe it's just me but I don't understand. I thought their releases followed the alphabet.
Android 1.6 Donut
Android 2.0 Eclair
Android 2.2 Froyo
Android 2.3 Gingerbread
Android 3.0 Honeycomb
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
Android 4.4 KitKat
Android 5.0 Lollipop
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Android 7.0 TBA
Android 8.0 TBA

I am a solid windows Fan through and Through, the delays and poor investment in this program has pushed me to really consider Android on the basis that Android has everything now that I will be needing.

I am sad that the said mentioned developments are delays due to a "Holiday" excuse... This has costed Microsoft loosing ANOTHER supporter that will be defecting to Android

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is what I will be taking in April Next year, Goodbye Microsoft
Same, I had a 1020 and a 830 but sold them about 3 months ago while getting tired of waiting for the app store port. Then I heard it was getting close (December) so I picked up a 640XL. Now I hear this and looking for a note 4 or 5 again.

I'll stuck with my old $100 Android phone. Does everything I need without all those nasty surprises!

I think they are speculating with consumers anxiety.
If you wanna have win10 in the phone for christmas then you have to buy a new cell phone, otherwise to upgrade wait for january.
I think a better approach would be to offer the upgrade before christmas so will be another selling point for winphones that are currently on the shelves with win8.1.
As far as I have been able to see win8.1 runs quite flawless so, no real hurry to patch it.

Back