Microsoft drops Windows 7 SP1 beta, IE9 Platform Preview 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has released a beta of the upcoming Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) to early testers, according to an email sent by the Windows Customer Connection Team. The beta build (7601.16562.100603-1800) was reportedly compiled on June 3, weighs 1.22GB and is available in English, German, Japanese, French, and Spanish editions.

Before you get too excited, realize that the first service pack is largely just a compendium of patches already distributed via Windows Update. That said, Server 2008 R2 users do get a couple new features called RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory. The former provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users, while the latter gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory.

The first service pack is also rumored to bring USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0 support as well as enhanced Bluetooth/Wi-Fi stacks, but Microsoft's keeping quiet on that. The company plans to roll out a public beta of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 toward the end of July.

In somewhat related news, Microsoft has slipped out the third platform preview (PP3) of Internet Explorer 9. The latest build adds support for HTML5 Canvas as well as audio and video tags. ZDNet also talks of "significant performance improvements," citing an increase on the Acid3 benchmark.

Permalink to story.

They don't give up, do they? Nah, I'm actually eager to see what MS has to offer. But I doubt it will ever surpass Chrome, let alone the king Firefox.

Google Chrome has it limits if you push to hard it will say "sorry something went wrong" I use even with this limit. IE been around with it since IE2 still it has come a long way. GC on some sites you can't even use it with ticket master or other clone ticket master sites. I have to switch back to IE8. MS secret is that all users of Windows OS and Office Suite are really beta testers even though we all think it's final but really it's not. This comes from one of the several VP of MS. The plain was to let the customer be the tester but not knowing so. Windows 7 SP1 or SP2 or SP3 will never fix everything it's just a simple way of saying yes MS it seems to be working now!

bing suck badly probably the worst search engine ever
windows 7 is pretty good :)

IE 6,7,8,9 Suck's the worst ive ever tried
better get Firefox or chrome much much faster and lighter on resources

I'm glad IE gets updated. I rarely use it, but it's the default, so a lot of people use it, and I'd rather they use something up to date.

As for 7 SP1, totally unexciting. I was offered to beta test, but chose not to (well, mainly because I'm still running Vista).

i like IE8's interface a lot, its really good for big screens, it just lags on scrolling on some sites and if was not for that...IT WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE.

Firefox was my favorite for years, but i have to install like 10 add-ons to suite my taste, and the worse part is that when there is new version, the add-ons does not work and that is like every 10 days or so...this sucks.

Chrome is got a nice interface as well, but lacking TONS of options....its just not usable for me at this point and there is no work arounds to get those options running ...its still a baby...ohh, did i mention that its not stable yet!..yaa, it crashes a lot.

MS is always improveing allways working , but I rue the day they start the anual user fee program
for windows .But I beleive its comming ,and its not going to be cheap . Can't stop it by not talking about it ,as some seem to beleive. Its comming in the next couple of years . Then a monthly thing . Mark my words . I'll not be running six machines when it comes to it . whether I switch to 9 or not is not a pleasant thought . I have a lot of vista software in the drawer ,ultimate mostly , I'll keep it around for repair reasons .all my machines are running 7 very well . I sold one to a person that added a drive and put in XP 64 ,but then could not get it to produce sound . I supplied a windows 7 64 with the machine as well as the x86 version . My only conclusion off the cuff being , XP 64 does not recognize HD audio . I told him to try the 7 64 at least . I have an old dell with XP pro .what a Dino. after reading some of the comments here . I just want to know if any one . can answer this question for certain . And to comment , I can't understand why any one would still want to use vista .

Person with "Old Dell." - You are not alone as I have a Dell 3000, "modified memory and Hard Drive." I ALSO use XP-Pro and cannot see the need for Vista, (didn't last long...,) etc.
Old Marine Gunnery Sergeant: We hardly change at ALL, especially HABITS as above....Example;I was a "Garand" Sniper, USMC; loaded my own ammo, grabbed any scope in sight, Worked great! (Even had a modified silencer and a "flash hider," also modified. Old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back