Microsoft Edge under fire for stealing Chrome browser tabs

zohaibahd

Staff
In context: Microsoft Edge is accused of stealing data from rival browser Chrome without users' consent. This raises privacy and security concerns, as well as some questions about Microsoft's tactics to gain market share. Is it just a bug or is there something more sinister at play?

Microsoft Edge is back in the spotlight – but not for what you'd think. According to several disgruntled users, Edge has been caught red-handed snatching open tabs and other data from Chrome without so much as a by-your-leave. Tom Warren from The Verge recounted his own ordeal, claiming that Edge surreptitiously hijacked his Chrome tabs across two devices following recent Windows updates.

To make matters worse, the browser didn't even try to cover its tracks, boldly launching itself with all the ill-gotten tabs in tow, as if nothing had happened.

Edge does offer the ability to import data from Google Chrome every time you launch it. This way, you can "always have access to your recent browsing data" in Microsoft own words. However, Warren claims that he had this feature turned off, and he never got a prompt to enable it.

This suggests that the feature may be malfunctioning and operating beyond the user's control, violating their privacy and preferences. If you've encountered a similar issue, you can go to edge://settings/profiles/importBrowsingData and disable the feature.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has been accused of employing questionable tactics to boost Edge's adoption. From forcing Edge on users through Windows updates to sneaky prompts when attempting to download Chrome, the company has a track record of aggressive browser promotion.

Despite these (minor) controversies, Edge does have its merits. It boasts a sleek interface and some nifty features, such as Collections, Immersive Reader, and Vertical Tabs – not to mention all the new AI goodies. However, resorting to underhanded tactics may not be the best way to win hearts and minds, and may backfire in the long run.

Fortunately, for those weary of Edge's antics, relief may be on the horizon, at least for EU users. Soon, they'll have the option to bid adieu to Edge with a simple right-click in the Start menu, thanks to the European Union's Digital Markets Act, which pulls the reins on big tech's dominance.

Permalink to story.

“Microsoft Edge is back in the spotlight – but not for what you'd think.”

No… that’s pretty much what I thought. Rather than making a superior product, they’re slamming us over to their junk by whatever means.

I don’t get why somenone is so upset with Edge - is Chrome or esp. Google anyway better??? The only difference - MS controls the OS here, so has more access, however Google does the same in their OS - Android. So basically they are the same…
As a commenter wrote here - both are “thiefs” (for our data) in any accessible way.. that’s corporate business..

To begin with, why use two browsers, would you want to let two different companies profit from your data?

Edge is slightly more efficient than Chrome. I only use this one.

A thief stealing from a thief ... oh and who the EFF still uses chrome these days ... <smh> morons
Yeah, who the EFF makes up the 90% of the nternet that uses chrome? The ID10TS!!111!11!

Calm down. Chrome is the big dog.
“Microsoft Edge is back in the spotlight – but not for what you'd think.”

No… that’s pretty much what I thought. Rather than making a superior product, they’re slamming us over to their junk by whatever means.
Edge is superior though. Its more efficient and it's memory management blows away google's.....somehow. Actually, so does brave and vivaldi. The point is google fell asleep eons ago.

Seems like Chrome security isn't very good then. I don't want my browsing data to be available outside of my browser.

I use Linux and Firefox.

But, I'm perfectly willing to assume this is "programmer error." Edge is a fancied up Chromium, and so is Chrome, so I imagine it's entirely possible to have both decide to slurp up information from the same profile. Of course, this is something Microsoft should test for -- but why would they test updates before they ship them out amiright?

Yeah, who the EFF makes up the 90% of the nternet that uses chrome? The ID10TS!!111!11!

Calm down. Chrome is the big dog.
Edge is superior though. Its more efficient and it's memory management blows away google's.....somehow. Actually, so does brave and vivaldi. The point is google fell asleep eons ago.
Chrome's default Google search is 1000% better than Bing to date.

Programmer error, someone said? Ya gotta be kidding. Buried right there deep inside Windows' settings is an ON-OFF slider controlling the theft of other browser settings by Edge. Betcha when you install Windows, the slider is set to STEAL, which is the way it should be labeled.

Microsoft is, was and will be a devious company. They are not into truth and honesty, but deceit and cheating.

Meh, people still fight the lost battle for the thing of the past called privacy. A decade from now, your browsing history will be stored publicly in the cloud and available to your potential employers and partners for evaluation.

Stealing is such an ugly word. I prefer to say borrowing, copying, reproducing, emulating, mimicking. Those words are so much better.

Back