Microsoft is planning to make its next fortune from Internet of Things devices

Greg S

Bottom line: Internet of Things devices are likely to account for more than 100 billion internet connected devices over the next decade. Microsoft is looking to cash in on the opportunity by offering subscription-based access to updates and guaranteed support.

At Computex 2018, Microsoft debuted Windows 10 IoT Core Services. The enterprise-focused operating system for Internet of Things devices is being made available as a subscription instead of a single purchase.

A public preview of Windows 10 IoT Core Services is now available for anyone to try. Subscriptions must be purchased through Azure and are $0.15 per device each month during the preview period. Once Microsoft's preview ends, pricing will jump to $0.30 per device per month. Cloud Solution Providers will be able to act as resellers while OEMs are able to prepay for services.

Microsoft intends to support its IoT platform for at least ten years by providing security and performance updates. One of the biggest reasons that enterprises may consider a subscription is that Windows Updates will be used to distribute updates to all software on connected IoT devices. Independent developers will be able to make use of the same Windows Update services being used by hundreds of millions of people.

The basic Windows 10 IoT Core operating system will remain freely available for anyone to use, but will lack features that are almost a necessity for many industrial use cases.

Looking at the predicted number of IoT devices that will be in service over the next decade, Microsoft could be looking at some substantial new sales opportunities. Single entities may have thousands of registered devices at any given time. By 2025, there will be an estimated 75 billion internet connected devices in use. Should Microsoft be able to capture even one percent of this market, it could line its pockets with an extra few billion dollars annually.

Permalink to story.

"Microsoft is looking to cash in on the opportunity by offering subscription-based access to updates and guaranteed support."

LOL. "Buy our new IoT automatic pet feeder for only $50 upfront + $5 annual Microsoft service subscription. Way better than those $10 ones based on a simple reliable timer, because... um... well it's... online or something..."

Last edited:
Microsoft Office has been around for a long time as well. Look how many times they have changed Office and abandoned each iteration. My comment wasn't referring to the core of IoT, it was the devices MS plan on presenting. They will present a device with services and then drop services for said device. All in the hopes of selling a new device and new services. One of the biggest legalized scams ever.

So it's another SKU of windows, except this time they are charging monthly just like they wanted to do with windows.

The price isn't bad until you realize that your fridge, dryer, washer, roomba, and at least 20 other devices (which is a conservative estimate give all the little devices we have and will have) could all be running this OS if Microsoft gets it's way. You are looking at spending an additional $72 just to keep your smart devices running. At that point I'd rather they not force everything to be connected because I really don't need to spend $72 a year to have my fringe not be hacked because Samsung decided people needed 24 hour access to an inside the fridge cam.

It's tiring preaching to people the security risks of these devices but I suspect most people will collectively shrug just like they did with facebook. People have become so shortsighted that they don't realize it until their identity has been stolen or something from their IoT devices makes it on to the web.

But which one is it?
I'd like to be able to use modern tech without data gathering even if it means paying a ransom - but this has a potential to increase social inequalities (the ones who can't afford it would be easier to manipulate using gathered data).

The difference between an Optimist and a Pessimist is that the Pessimist is seldom disappointed but by strange miracles is also SOMETIMES pleasantly surprise :)

We're ALL going to learn (perhaps the hard way) that ioT devices are going to need to be isolated on their own subnet w/o access to any of the home lan systems.

Back