Microsoft launches Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 with minor upgrades

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has today launched the first update to Windows Phone 8.1, known as GDR1 or simply 'Update 1', with users in the Preview for Developers program set to get the update over-the-air some time this week.

Update 1 is a relatively minor update compared to Windows Phone 8.1 itself, which launched earlier this year. The main new feature is Live Folders, which allows you to group apps in folders on the Windows Phone homescreen, and still receive notifications through Live Tiles.

Other new features include improvements to Xbox Music, SMS merge and forwarding functionality, proper support for VPNs, support for quick charging standards such as Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, and the Apps Corner. Similar to the Kid's Corner, you can select apps to go in the Apps Corner so that when you hand your phone to someone else, personal data isn't exposed.

Alongside the launch of Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, Microsoft has announced that Cortana - Windows Phone's voice-controlled personal assistant - is now available for users in China and the United Kingdom. An alpha version will also be available for those in Canada, Australia and India on an opt-in basis.

If you want to update your Windows Phone to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, for now you'll need to sign up for the free Preview for Developers program. Manufacturers will formally push the update to existing devices in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Ready to swap back to Windows Phone, but the UI is starting to look a bit "dated". Keep the live tiles but it really needs a bit of a refreshed layout when it comes to the look of the apps and UI menu's.

There is so much factually wrong information in this article I have no idea where to start. I already got the update for my 1520. As a US user, we have Cortana by the way. Not to mention that you said nothing about the new keyboard features or the action center. There is an Initial update before you can update to 8.1. You then can go into settings and check for updates to receive the full 8.1 update. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

This is hardly a minor update, do you even use a windows phone?

Last edited:
There is so much factually wrong information in this article I have no idea where to start. I already got the update for my 1520. As a US user, we have Cortana by the way. Not to mention that you said nothing about the new keyboard features or the action center. There is an Initial update before you update to 8.1. You then can go into settings and check for the update yourself. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

No I don't use one anymore but I still own one, a Nokia 620 to be exact. I haven't switched it on at all this year, I prefer the Android's. That being said I don't have anything against Windows 8 phones.

There is so much factually wrong information in this article I have no idea where to start. I already got the update for my 1520. As a US user, we have Cortana by the way. Not to mention that you said nothing about the new keyboard features or the action center. There is an Initial update before you can update to 8.1. You then can go into settings and check for updates to receive the full 8.1 update. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

I think you misunderstand. You refer to some features of the 8.1 and Cyan upgrade. This article refers to the update to 8.1 which is expected next week. Yep, that quick!

I think you misunderstand. You refer to some features of the 8.1 and Cyan upgrade. This article refers to the update to 8.1 which is expected next week. Yep, that quick!

It said Microsoft "launches update 1" implying that WP8.1 has been out for awhile and they are launching and update to it. I got the 8.1 update on my lumia 1520 last night. And windows 8.1 didn't launch earlier this year. It launched for developers, not for consumers. The updates are just now rolling out for consumers as of last night. Over the next few weeks all windows 8 phones will be getting the WP8.1 upgrade. Yesterday MS launched an update prepping phones for the 8.1 update. Afterwards many of the higher end phones also received the upgrade to windows 8.1.

The author of this article has no idea what he's talking about. He got wrong so many things that I don't where to start and he also left out many things about the update.

This is hardly a minor update, do you even use a windows phone?[/quote

It said Microsoft "launches update 1" implying that WP8.1 has been out for awhile and they are launching and update to it. I got the 8.1 update on my lumia 1520 last night. And windows 8.1 didn't launch earlier this year. It launched for developers, not for consumers. The updates are just now rolling out for consumers as of last night. Over the next few weeks all windows 8 phones will be getting the WP8.1 upgrade. Yesterday MS launched an update prepping phones for the 8.1 update. Afterwards many of the higher end phones also received the upgrade to windows 8.1.

The author of this article has no idea what he's talking about. He got wrong so many things that I don't where to start and he also left out many things about the update.

One last time. This week your 1520 went from 8.1DP to 8.0 to 8.1 and Cyan. This article talks about the upgrade of 8.1, coming soon to DP participants. It is called GDR1. The article is accurate. Think upgrade to 8.1. There are rumors that GDR2 will be flying late August or early September. Try to keep up.

Dude, the update the author is talking about is GDR1 for WP 8.1. It's semantically the same thing as saying WP 8.1.1. None of the features that he described was in 8.1. Read harder.

Back