Microsoft lets Windows 7 and 8.1 users reserve free upgrade to Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

Starting today, current users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be able to reserve a free upgrade to Windows 10 once the operating system is released in a few months' time. And yes, the free upgrade will give you a full copy of Windows 10, not a trial version.

Windows 7 and 8.1 users can reserve their upgrade to Windows 10 through a new application that has appeared on the aforementioned versions of the operating system, following the installation of Windows Update KB3035583. A windows flag icon appears in the notification tray, and clicking on it brings you to a screen that allows you to reserve your copy.

The app, which also advertises some of Windows 10's key functionality, indicates that Windows 10 will automatically download, after which you'll receive a notification informing you that the new OS is ready to install. You also have the option of receiving this notification through email. Once the OS is downloaded, you can install it whenever it suits you.

Microsoft is set to launch Windows 10 next July 29th, in time for the back-to-school season and the release of new devices, which manufacturers are already starting to announce. This new Windows 10 app that has appeared on Windows 7 and 8.1 is all part of Microsoft's advertising process as the company looks to target one billion installs of the OS over the next three years.

Permalink to story.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>View Installed Updates>Mouse Right on KB3035583> Uninstall>Reboot.

@Tim Shiesser, I'm guessing you wrote this before the story you published 6 hours ago? You gave us the release date in one article, then said "widely believed" late July in this! I don't know what to believe!

Booted my 8.1 Pro machine this morning and got the Win Logo upgrade icon in the notification area, first thing.
That was fast !
Signed up.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>View Installed Updates>Mouse Right on KB3035583> Uninstall>Reboot.

Then check for updates again, when it shows back up ... right click on it and select "hide"
Always do that for those I know I'm not gonna use, like IE updates, remote access or informing me about browser choice, but when I read this one is about solving isues with Windows I assumed it solves some compatibility issues and gave it a go. F*cking C*cksuckers. Nothing's wrong with my Windows 7 until they make it incompatible with new software few years down the road. This time they won't be able to say DirectX12 won't work because it's old. It's the same Win7 underneath, besides Mantle and Vulcan don't need Windows 10 to get low level access.

Why do I need to reserve a copy? It's not like there is a certain amount of copies availible. And can someone clarify Is this free upgrade an ISO which I can use to do a clean install or just an update? And at the bottom they say FREE FULL version, not a trial, doesn't that mean that pirates will still get a legit copy or just will their licence be invalid like they said in the past?

Why do I need to reserve a copy?
The word "reserve" is just one of many misconceptions coming from corporate PR. They used the word reserve to falsely guide people into reserving a copy of which they have an entire year to download. Their hidden agenda was to get numbers, an estimate as to how many will be downloading Windows 10 (on release day). MS feels as if they want to get accurate information they must lie to us and call it a reservation. As if we are pressed for time to sign up. I for one wish the media would put a stop to this, instead they seem to promote this kind of bull-****.

I update simple as that but kb3035583 is driving me mad ,,iv'e got it on my machine but no MS flag on taskbar so I deleted the update rebooted and hey presto it was there waiting for me to download it so downloaded ok installed ok and no taskbar flag so I repeat but this time no find download ..so I'm stuck but I'm not giving up try again later

1. uninstall the KB
  2. quit update
  3. relaunch update and Check for updates
  4. HIDE the update and it will not be reinstalled

Why do I need to reserve a copy?
The word "reserve" is just one of many misconceptions coming from corporate PR. They used the word reserve to falsely guide people into reserving a copy of which they have an entire year to download. Their hidden agenda was to get numbers, an estimate as to how many will be downloading Windows 10 (on release day). MS feels as if they want to get accurate information they must lie to us and call it a reservation. As if we are pressed for time to sign up. I for one wish the media would put a stop to this, instead they seem to promote this kind of bull-****.

It says somewhere in the info within the app, that Win 10 will be downloaded "at a convenient time" before release date. That way, they won't have everybody hammering their servers on release day.

Like to have a status: "No thank you, I gave at the office" :grin:

Why don't you try Windows 10 before deciding to upgrade your license. This way you don't have to worry about whether you can fall back. Keep your current license intact until you know you want to move forward. If nothing else you have a full year to decide whether you want to.

I am gonna wait for the retail version to be available so that I can buy it. As I am going to be doing some upgrades on my machine.....

I got mine confirmed, about 8 hours after submitting the request.

confirmed.png

Make sure that in the Task Manager>Processes> that the GWX.exe is running. If that isn't running then the icon in the bottom right won't show.

Back