Microsoft liberates 2 million PCs from malicious Citadel botnets

David Tom

Earlier this month, we were made aware that Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit successfully brought down over 1,000 of the estimated 1,400 malicious computer networks, commonly referred to as the Citadel botnets. However, a statement made by Richard Domingues Boscovich, the assistant...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/52949-microsoft-liberates-2-million-pcs-from-malicious-citadel-botnets.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

An attempt forgood press just to dissolve the wake of the Xbox debacle? Microsoft is due for a good deed.

cliffordcooley

Earlier this month, we were made aware that Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit successfully brought down over 1,000 of the estimated 1,400 malicious computer networks, commonly referred to as the Citadel botnets.
What about the people that create these botnets? I'm sick of reading stories like this where people are free to continue. I'm not stupid, I know these people can be tracked.

Coodu

Well, one would hope that this at least brings them closer to the source, we can only hope anyway ;)

G

Track these down, nah there more interested in illegal file sharing and its probably the companies in question running an insurance scam anyways

Cycloid Torus

Track these down, nah there more interested in illegal file sharing and its probably the companies in question running an insurance scam anyways
Umm..it is illegal file sharing. Just that it is financial and not videos...hope our protectors are just as interested.

G

Now if they could liberate all the other people from the virus called Windows, we would be good.

lipe123

This is hardly the first time MS has done this, if you looked at the articles over the past year I think its the 3rd time they helped take down a major botnet.

However the biggest issue here for me also is that while the software side of things are taken care of the creators of these net's need to be fined and imprisoned or forced into some kinda rehab program (or join the USA's PRISM program hahaa).

I think they need to get closer ties with interpol because generally local authorities can do nothing but beg the offending country's law enforcement to do something and the response I think would be "we have 1000's or murders/poverty/massive unemployment, don't care about your cybercrime issues"

R

Raoul Duke

Only allowed malware is the MS backdoor for providing info to PRISM etc. All others are verboten