Microsoft loyalist Steve Ballmer wants the Clippers to ditch their iPads

Shawn Knight

Staff member

steve ballmer clippers apple microsoft ipad tablet smartphone slate microsoft surface la clippers

Steve Ballmer may no longer be the CEO of Microsoft or even have a seat on the board of directors but that doesn’t mean he isn’t loyal to the company that made him a billionaire. Shortly after purchasing the Los Angeles Clippers for a record $2 billion this past spring, one of the first things Ballmer did was vow to rid the organization of dependence on the iPad.

During a recent interview with Reuters, Ballmer said most of the Clippers organization already uses Windows products although some of the players and coaches don’t. He said he spoke with head coach Doc Rivers and one of the first things he was asked was whether or not they were going to be getting rid of their iPads.

Ballmer confirmed the suspicion although he promised to do it during the offseason.

The fact that Ballmer wants the Clippers to use Windows products exclusively shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The Microsoft veteran has always been known as a loyalist, even banning his family members from using iPhones.

Ballmer didn’t confirm which products the team would be using moving forward but the likely candidate would be the Surface Pro 3. The device is a bit more expensive than the iPad but given Ballmer’s nearly four percent stake in Microsoft that’s worth around $15 billion, I’m sure he could afford it.

No word yet on whether Ballmer will try and force his players to convert to Windows devices for their personal use.

Permalink to story.

Oprah should had bought the Clippers.... " you get and ipad and you get and ipad and you get an ipad!!!!!"

This is so ridiculously funny.

I guess Balmer is thinking the few Clipper's members will positively effect his MS stock. Since he is no longer a MS board member, his Microsoft stock could be the only reasoning behind this pathetic request.

This is so ridiculously funny.

I guess Balmer is thinking the few Clipper's members will positively effect his MS stock. Since he is no longer a MS board member, his Microsoft stock could be the only reasoning behind this pathetic request.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with effecting his stock prices. The SP3 is just a superior device if you can afford the price tag. I guess he can afford it.

Ballmer's apparent attitude is why Microsoft isn't winning. You can't bully/force customer appeal. Ballmer needs to be asking questions, not forcing his opinion. Why don't users choose Microsoft as their first choice? Why don't people in the Clippers organization use surface tablets and what would it take to turn them? Apparently it's good that Ballmer is gone from Microsoft.

The fact that Ballmer wants the Clippers to use Windows products exclusively shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

Well, yeah, the Surface has Office on it, while the iPad doesn't. There are many smart businesses that are moving toward the Surface in favor of the iPad. The Surface is made for business, the iPad isn't.

Also, because MS is trying to gain market share, they're giving away Surfaces for business use very cheap, or even free. I'd bet my next paycheck Apple wouldn't so much as give a free charger to a company who called up and asked for free stuff.

My company is currently looking to replace all their iPads with Surfaces. They're probably going to get thousands of them. All at a HUGE discount, because MS is willing to negotiate. They have windows, are compatible with the other office systems, have a lower learning curve, and can run homegrown software. There's literally no downside.

If you want to rip on a billionaire for his business decisions, go right ahead, but that guy has more commas in his bank account than I do zeros, so I'll wait and see how it turns out before I criticise.

No word yet on whether Ballmer will try and force his players to convert to Windows devices for their personal use.
Now you're just trolling.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, the Surface has Office on it, while the iPad doesn't. There are many smart businesses that are moving toward the Surface in favor of the iPad. The Surface is made for business, the iPad isn't.

Also, because MS is trying to gain market share, they're giving away Surfaces for business use very cheap, or even free. I'd bet my next paycheck Apple wouldn't so much as give a free charger to a company who called up and asked for free stuff.

If you meant the full desktop version of Office, then sure, because the Surface Pros are touchscreen computers in a tablet form (that aren't perfect at that). It isn't even really a comparison, totally different CPU architectures in the Surface Pros. If you meant a mobile Microsoft Office then you maybe didn't know about this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/

You may be right that they wouldn't give away a free charger if your company just asked for one, but they give away things if they believe it is a good cause: http://www.cultofmac.com/114790/app...chers-working-in-impoverished-schools-report/
(I'm sure there are others more recent, but searching 'apple' and 'gives away' of course returns all those scam things that people get through email and social media).

If you meant the full desktop version of Office, then sure, because the Surface Pros are touchscreen computers in a tablet form (that aren't perfect at that), but if you meant a mobile Microsoft Office then you maybe didn't know about this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/

You may be right that they wouldn't give away a free charger if your company just asked for one, but they give away things if they believe it is a good cause: http://www.cultofmac.com/114790/app...chers-working-in-impoverished-schools-report/
(I'm sure there are others more recent, but searching apple and gives away of course returns all those scam things that people get through email and social media).

My company is currently looking to replace all their iPads with Surfaces. They're probably going to get thousands of them. All at a HUGE discount, because MS is willing to negotiate. They have windows, are compatible with the other office systems, have a lower learning curve, and can run homegrown software. There's literally no downside.
Seriously dude? I doubt very many of the Clipper's players are even remotely concerned with any of that. They have agents and accountants that take care of those things. In the meantime, (and if Magic Johnson's true confessions about how he became HIV positive are any indication), the players are probably too busy answering f**k requests on Facebook and Twitter, to care what kind of, "device", gets them there.

Besides, I seriously doubt if the, "Clippers Organization" numbers in the thousands anyway. (<wild guess) Unless Ballmer is going to try and force M$ products on the staff of every venue the play at, including the parking lot attendants.

Last edited:
It's in his interest for his players to use his product, that's normal, he was the CEO of Microsoft. He didn't force them to use anything...yet, so It's not a big deal. And I agree that Clippers don't give a **** about what device they are going to use, neither do I. They are not tech people and have other problems.

This will only hurt microsoft more.. People will think that MS forcing them to use Microsoft device

This will only hurt microsoft more.. People will think that MS forcing them to use Microsoft device
Oh well, maybe the Clippers will claim it's racist for him to force M$ hardware on them, and he'll have to sell the team, under intense media pressure.

Last edited:
Seriously dude? I doubt very many of the Clipper's players are even remotely concerned with any of that. They have agents and accountants that take care of those things. In the meantime, (and if Magic Johnson's true confessions about how he became HIV positive are any indication), the players are probably too busy answering f**k requests on Facebook and Twitter, to care what kind of, "device", gets them there.

Besides, I seriously doubt if the, "Clippers Organization" numbers in the thousands anyway. (<wild guess) Unless Ballmer is going to try and force M$ products on the staff of every venue the play at, including the parking lot attendants.

I wasn't talking about the players, I was talking about the organization as a whole. The Clippers would have a marketing department, merchandise dept, ticket sales, ant probably a bunch of others. The actual players are what, 15 guys only?

The line at the end of the story about 'no word yet on whether Ballmer will ask the players to ditch their iPads' sort of implies that the rest of the story isn't about the players. Getting the players to use a Surface would just be a marketing stunt, and there's nothing stopping Ballmer from giving them all one. And if MS becomes an 'official sponsor' then you can be sure Clippers players will only be allowed up on the press conference table with a Surface in their hands. that sort of practice is already very common in professional sports.

And if MS becomes an 'official sponsor' then you can be sure Clippers players will only be allowed up on the press conference table with a Surface in their hands. that sort of practice is already very common in professional sports.
What you say makes more since than any other scenario.

I wasn't talking about the players, I was talking about the organization as a whole. The Clippers would have a marketing department, merchandise dept, ticket sales, ant probably a bunch of others. The actual players are what, 15 guys only?
First you go one way, then the other. I'm not naive enough to suppose the Clippers have only 15 employees. It would have to be at least 16, since they have a coach on the floor with them at games.

I do think you were being a bit hyperbolic when you started claiming "thousands" of potential future Surface owners. (Hence the paranthetical "<wild guess", in my post about the numbers).

Moving on, sociology informs us that human beings seek a "trifecta" of life's goals/rewards, money, power, and prestige. Since Ballmer obviously has a ton of money, and enjoyed a great deal of power at M$, his one remaining objective had been prestige. Well, money can buy said prestige in certain arenas, and owning a pro sports.team being the most salient in the private sector.

Plus, it's a cinch nobody's going to appoint that jacka** ambassador to Britain. (A most prestigious position). But, you pretty much can't create that opportunity yourself. At least not without years and years of brown nosing the "right" politicians. So, Mr Ballmer short circuited the process via his money.

On a personal note, pro basketball doesn't interest me in the least. I would prefer if they called the teams, "The Alley Cats", and simply tacked on the city's name they play for to differentiate the squads. Did I mention I've been vaccinated against, "March Madness"?

Last edited:
First you go one way, then the other. I'm not naive enough to suppose the Clippers have only 15 employees. It would have to be at least 16, since they have a coach on the floor with them at games.

I do think you were being a bit hyperbolic when you started claiming "thousands" of potential future Surface owners. (Hence the paranthetical "<wild guess", in my post about the numbers).

On a personal note, pro basketball doesn't interest me in the least. I would prefer if they called the teams, "The Alley Cats", and simply tacked on the city's name they play for to differentiate the squads. Did I mention I've been vaccinated against, "March Madness"?

Ha, actually pro basketball doesn't interest me much either.

I mentioned 'thousands of tablets' when I was talking about my company. I said my company was looking at replacing iPads with the Surface and 'they' would probably order thousands. True, the use of 'they' could be a little ambiguous as to whether I was meaning 'they' the clippers or 'they' my company, but I meant it as my company. And even then thousands might be an exaggeration. Although if MS is giving them away cheap, maybe they'd even give me one.

Back