Microsoft opens $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade registration, other pricing details leak

Jos

Staff

Consumers who purchased a Windows 7 PC on June 2 or later -- up until January 31, 2013 -- can now register for the Windows Upgrade Offer announced in May, which will give them the option to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $14.99. Those eligible for the promotion will receive a promo code via email after the operating system is generally available on October 26.

Over at the Windows Upgrade Offer website users will need to provide Microsoft with details including name, email address, phone number, the date of purchase, the retailer, the PC brand and model, and in some cases, the 25-character Windows 7 product key associated with the PC.

You will have until February 28, 2013 to register for the offer to get Windows 8 Pro for $14.99. The code will be redeemable through Microsoft’s Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, bringing down the regular $39.99 upgrade price for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 systems purchased prior to June 2.

The $40 upgrade price for older systems is only good if you purchase it online -- it will be sold for $69.99 at retail stores. The company hasn’t yet announced the price of a full retail version of Windows 8, but The Verge says it has received an insider tip claiming it will be priced at $199 after a promotional price of $69.99 expires on January 31, 2013. Apparently, a Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro upgrade option will also be sold at retail stores for $69.99 until January 31, when the price reverts to $99.99.

The lower prices are designed to drive adoption of the new OS early on. If the reports are accurate, once the promotional period is over, Windows 8 will actually be priced similar to its predecessor at launch.

The latest report contradicts a previous rumor suggesting Microsoft would ditch the full retail version of Windows 8 in favor of the presumably cheaper OEM option for home users building a PC, in addition to their upgrade offers for users of a previous version of the operating system.

Permalink to story.

How about you pay me to use it because there's no way I am changing over even if it was free...

Actually that sounds like a fair deal however you may get Linux for free, which is a much better deal and a better OS, IMO.

Actually that sounds like a fair deal however you may get Linux for free, which is a much better deal and a better OS, IMO.

Sorry, but Linux is an inferior OS. Not only I have printer issues with Linux, but a lot of the software I run is only available on Windows (To name a few: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, SnagIt, PowerDirector 10 Ultra, and PowerArchiver 2012) and using Wine severely diminishes the performance any software that I use. The quality of the Linux software (including frees) are a joke compared to their Windows counterparts, especially the proprietary commercial ones. Not to mention that gaming support on Linux is abysmal and it is a poor platform for HTPC (Linux shot itself in the foot by not implementing HDCP support).

Linux is not without its uses (works great on servers), but for a box I use for both work purposes and entertainment, Linux just isn't a credible replacement. Even Linux zealots would advise against switching to Linux for the reasons stated above.

Your request has taken too much time to complete. Please start the registration process again by clicking the Register button below.

Took less than 5 mins, I tried 2 mins still same response. I guess Moneysoft doesn't want me to register for cheaper windows

Your request has taken too much time to complete. Please start the registration process again by clicking the Register button below.

Took less than 5 mins, I tried 2 mins still same response. I guess Moneysoft doesn't want me to register for cheaper windows

I'm having the same issue...

to those getting an error trying to sign-up - try using Internet Explorer (worked for me once I stopped trying to use Firefox or Chrome)

Back