Microsoft Optional Update Silverlight - yes or no?

beauty

Microsoft lists this as an optional update. I am running Windows 7 upgrade over Vista and have had a lot of problems with permissions and so am disgusted with Microsoft right now and leery of installing any more of their crappy software.

Is Silverlight the typical Microsoft crap or something you think I should install?

The critical and hardware Microsoft Updates are very necessary. Silverlight enhances some Internet video playback. I view Netflix streaming video. Without installing Silverlight, I couldn't do this viewing. If you use Windows Live, Silverlight is necessary for those features, When you upgraded to Windows 7 over Vista, you should have backed up your files and deleted the Vista partition on the hard drive at the start of the Windows 7 install

Thanks. I just followed the instructions given by the upgrade wizard. So whatever the wizard told me to do was done.

I am thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 7. Reading about it over at the sevenforums.

Okay good... Windows 7 is much more "friendly" with permissions than Vista. There is a free program called Take Ownership that will allow you to take ownership of files or entire hard drive contents from another computer. Google for it

There is a free program called Take Ownership that will allow you to take ownership of files or entire hard drive contents from another computer.

I installed that and it worked for some folders/files and not otheres. I would get an error sometimes The system cannot find the path specified.

Go to "Control Panel" "Folder Options" select "View" show all hidden files and folders. See if this helps

I have all hidden folders "unhidden."

Thanks, but I think the bottom line is that there are some bugs with the upgrades. It was a factory install of Vista and an upgrade to Windows 7 and something isn't right. I think a clean install is the way to go.

Sounds good on the clean install. This can always be done when installing Windows 7. When the boot drive window shows hi light the old install and select options. Format the drive and this will ensure a fresh Windows 7 install everytime

Sounds good on the clean install. This can always be done when installing Windows 7. When the boot drive window shows hi light the old install and select options. Format the drive and this will ensure a fresh Windows 7 install everytime
Thanks!

Back