Microsoft, partners now accepting pre-orders for Windows 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has started accepting pre-orders for multiple versions of Windows 8. Boxed retail products, OEM copies and even product key cards are starting to appear online at various retailers in the US including Amazon, Best Buy, the Microsoft Store, Office Depot and Staples.

Pricing starts at $69.99 for Microsoft’s Windows 8 professional upgrade and the pro pack product key card. Users can elect to pick up the full OEM version of Windows 8 in 32- or 64-bit flavors for $99.99. Those after the professional edition can expect to pay $139.99.

If a boxed retail version isn’t for you, Microsoft suggests waiting until October 26 to upgrade online. Using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, consumers will pay just $39.99 for the update. Online upgrading to Windows 8 Pro will be supported in 140 countries, 37 languages and 23 currencies worldwide.

Finally, Microsoft reminds us that consumers who purchased (or will purchase) an eligible Windows 7 computer between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 will be able to take advantage of discounted upgrade pricing. Expect to pay just $14.99 for an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro starting October 26. Details on how to redeem this offer can be found here.

Microsoft spokesperson Brandon LeBlanc was quick to highlight the packaging used for retail DVDs in a blog post earlier today. The rep said boxes consist of one of five vibrant illustrations and is constructed completely from paper, a move that allowed Microsoft to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent. The new material also cut packaging weight by 41 percent compared to Windows 7 retail offerings.

LeBlanc also pointed out that consumers will be able to pre-order Windows 8 PCs and devices from OEM partners starting today. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Samsung and Sony have all announced new fall lineups featuring Microsoft’s new operating system.

Permalink to story.

32-bit versions still? I'm just so unimpressed by the move to 64-bit chips that we still don't utilize. It's like how we've all moved to dual and quad cores, yet most applications still only utilize 1 core.

This is gonna be interesting. I'm real curious to see what the Windows 8 sales figures are.

I don't think Win8 sales figures will be like Win7, but I honestly think that the tablet craze will really help drive up sales.

I see no need for a tablet in order to enjoy and benefit from Windows 8. I've been using the release preview for a few weeks on two of my ageing laptops (one almost six years old) and my media center PC, which is no spring chicken either. The oldest machine - a Dell XPS M1710 - had been running Windows 7 X64 (and Vista X86 and MCE 2005 before that) while the other machines have been running Vista 32 bit. Windows 8 seems quicker and slicker on all three machines. That's not due to a fresh install either. The other machines have all had vanilla Windows installs without the burden of crapware to plague them.

I have zero interest in Metro, but look forward to improved performance for a minimal additional expense. I shall be buying three upgrade copies online as soon as it is available. Maybe one day I shall buy a tablet (or more likely a convertible/hybrid device), but that's certainly not a requirement in order to benefit from Windows 8.

Totally agreed. I wonder how windows 8 will transition into the market with growing touchscreen devices. I am not a fan of HUGE touch devices such as the ipad or other tablets.. so it's time for Windows 8 to change my mind!

Back