Microsoft puts out an 11-minute video of 'Slo-fi' Windows Startup sounds

Humza

Staff member
Eleventh hour teasers: There's plenty of guessing and anticipation going on for Microsoft's upcoming Windows event. After all, it's promising to showcase "one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade," exciting some PC users more than others. To calm their nerves - and tease the arrival of Windows 11 in the process - Microsoft has posted an 11-minute video of slowed down Windows Startup sounds, ending it with an invitation to watch its June 24 live stream event.

Microsoft has been dropping a couple of hints for the arrival of "Windows 11," with clues like the 11am ET starting time for the upcoming OS event and the number '11' hiding in plain sight in the related reveal image.

For those still wondering what the OS will be called, there's now an 11-minute video of 'Slo-fi' Windows Startup sounds posted by none other than the official Windows channel on YouTube. Although similar 'relaxing' videos are aplenty on the platform, Microsoft's version goes through the iconic Startup sounds (and backdrops) of Win 95, XP, and 7 slowed down by 4,000 percent for a 'meditative' experience.

In addition to the video length being an obvious clue, it could also mean that the upcoming OS will come with a bold new Startup sound that's set to play by default. Microsoft disabled the unique chimes in Windows 8 (during its mobile ambitions) and Windows 10, requiring users to enable them manually with a checkbox under system sounds.

Will '11' be suffixed to the next version of Microsoft's OS, or will the company simply end up calling it Windows? Will the UI/UX be a noticeable departure from Windows 10? We'll know the answers and more on June 24, 11am ET, at Microsoft's official reveal event.

Permalink to story.

All 99% of users care about:

1. Stability.
2. Performance.
3. Intuitive, easy-to-operate UI that doesn't try to hide features while hard-selling Microsoft bloatware.

An app store that doesn't look like someone's vinyl record collection spilling out of an old trunk would also be nice.

All 99% of users care about:

1. Stability.
2. Performance.
3. Intuitive, easy-to-operate UI that doesn't try to hide features while hard-selling Microsoft bloatware.

An app store that doesn't look like someone's vinyl record collection spilling out of an old trunk would also be nice.
Troubleshooters that rarely resolve something. I dislike them.

It would be really pathetic of Microsoft to introduce a Windows 11, after insisting for so long and so adamantly, that Windows 10 was going to be "the last Windows" (even if all of us with above room temperature iq knew this was going to happen). I really hope the media and general public haven't forgotten about this, and they're called out on it.

Ahh... yes.... all the soothing qualities of a feedback loop. Seriously, an hour of that would cause me to punch a Microsoft employee in the face. I think Microsoft should've first tried it on lab rats to see if they end up eating each other.

I'm predicting cosmetic changes to the desktop UX, an app store overhaul with a more aggressive presence, and perhaps some more push content that they will try to frame as a user feature.

I could be wrong. There have been file system advances since NTFS, security has never been more important or more widely publicized (seems like ransomware is in the news every day now), and we're seeing CPUs with lots more cores and differentiated types of cores. So there's room for fundamental O/S changes vs more surface-level changes - I'd just be surprised if that was what was happening.

As far as windows 10 purportedly being the last, I kinda got used to it. I say If it ain't broke don't fix it. Here's to the anticipation of the problems the new os might bring.

What I would like?

Putting more control in the users hands. For one a tunable OS that can be tweaked for end use. Games, Social media, Media consumption, Productivity, A bit of everything, what have you. How many gamers use Cortana? How many users have touch screens? If I don't use it, give me a OS that doesn't waste resources supporting it. Give me a choice of touch focused or the older hierarchical menu system. Let me select where I decide to "feature lock" the OS, and only install security updates from that point forward. Just let me make windows mine, not Microsoft's.

What I expect?

A Windows version of Google's Chrome book OS...

It would be really pathetic of Microsoft to introduce a Windows 11, after insisting for so long and so adamantly, that Windows 10 was going to be "the last Windows" (even if all of us with above room temperature iq knew this was going to happen). I really hope the media and general public haven't forgotten about this, and they're called out on it.
Yes, but with the failure 10 was they had no other choice. 10 was the most hated and buggy windows ever released...

Yes, but with the failure 10 was they had no other choice. 10 was the most hated and buggy windows ever released...
Windows 10 at release was definitely Windows Me 2.0, and it stayed that way for a good few years. However since 1809 or 1903 I don't think Windows 10 is that bad anymore. I still prefer Windows 7 or 8.1, but Windows 10 has become tolerable.

But what I meant is, anyone with a triple-digit iq always knew that Windows 10 being "the last version of Windows" was bs nonsense from MS's marketing / pr team. However for years MS has pushed this narrative so much, that if they backpedal now by releasing a completely new Windows, it will make them look bad. Or at least, if there's any justice left in this world, it should make them look bad - I hope the media and the public didn't forget, and MS gets roasted for it and are forced to explain their backpedaling from Windows 10 being "the last Windows" (even if their explanation will certainly be more bs that they will spin to make them look good, it's the principle that counts).

The main issue with Windows 10 right now is that it's becoming a worse OS for gaming with each new cumulative update (performance problems that are fast piling up and only getting worse, and MSs H1B crew don't care or most likely don't know how to fix). I'm no fan of Valve but they really seem to be having the right idea with their focus on Linux.

Last edited:
it will not be windows 11 but windows II instead. but everybody will call it 11

it will not be windows 11 but windows II instead. but everybody will call it 11
Actually what they decide to call it doesn't matter at all. Even if it doesn't even have a number (like "Vista" or "Me") or they decide to name it just "Windows" like some have been speculating. What matters is MS releasing a full new generation of Windows when some time ago they would stomp their feet saying it would never happen again.

Yeah, Windows sounds are so cool, (NOT).. I won't even hook up speaker to a computer because of them.

Take a note Mr. Nadella, I know when I've made a bad click, I don't need some dumb a** noise to scold me about it.

And yes if y'all were wondering, I am too lazy to bother turning them off altogether. (My bad).

The POST beep is plenty, I'll take it from there.

From what I've seen and read, It's sounding more like a facelift than a substantial upgrade. It's a placebo. At least at first. As much as I'm not looking forward to it, It's getting closer to time for me start studying up on Linux. Sigh! Another PITA OS, but a PITA OS under my control.

Back