Microsoft registers microsoft-sony.com and sony-microsoft.com

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has purchased the domain names microsoft-sony.com and sony-microsoft.com. Microsoft registered the former yesterday, and the latter two days, according to a WHOIS search on DomainTools (one, two, via WinRumors).

Both domains currently redirect to a Bing search results page. The purchase of the domains have naturally resulted in lots of speculation.

The most reasonable explanation is that Sony Ericsson, a joint venture between the Japanese conglomerate Sony Corporation and the Swedish telecommunications company Ericsson, is planning on launching a Windows Phone 7 device. The company has mainly bet on Android but it's always possible that this will change in the future.

Sony Ericsson at one point planned to launch a 4-inch screen device featuring a QWERTY slide-out keyboard. Microsoft even named Sony Ericsson as a launch partner when it first unveiled Windows Phone 7. Rumor has it that the two could not reach an agreement around Microsoft's Xbox Live integration in the Windows Phone platform, and so the device was scrapped.

Microsoft already has many OEMs under its Windows Phone ecosystem: Acer, Dell, Fujitsu, HTC, LG, Nokia, Samsung, and ZTE. Still, getting Sony onboard surely wouldn't hurt.

Then there are the crazy explanations. These are not for the faint of heart, so if you are a Microsoft or Sony fanboy, please do not read on.

Why take on Nintendo separately when Microsoft and Sony could destroy the company together? Imagine a PlayBox or an Xbox Station. What if Microsoft just bought Sony outright? Okay, that is pretty nuts. The simplest explanation is that Microsoft and Sony have decided to strike a partnership tha spans multiple levels, though this does not explain why Microsoft bought both domains, as opposed to each company grabbing one each.

Permalink to story.

"Why take on Nintendo separately when Microsoft and Sony could destroy the company together?"

Like they need to team up? Nintendo went from the Game Cube to the Wii. It wasn't much of an improvement graphically speaking. Then what? They have like, 3 games total worth playing and one was just a rehash of it's previous concole version. The fact that Nintendo actually made so much money off the Wii was shocking. Then the Wii U comes into the spotlight and that looks so stupid it actually effected Nintendo stocks. They keep it up and their only way out is seppuku.

"Imagine a PlayBox or an Xbox Station. What if Microsoft just bought Sony outright?"

I will never imagine those names. Never. Though if they [Microsoft] bought Sony then maybe the best of both worlds could come out of it. PS3 has always had the upper hand to 360 in graphics. And you never hear of Microsoft gamers getting hacked so that's a plus. Oh wait. 2007. Nevermind. No! That's not fair. 4 years ago. They must have beefed up security, something, or maybe they just haven't pissed off enough people to warrant a group hacker attack so we don't really know. Damn, I just got a RROD flashback. Well I guess in hindsight it would be kinda one sided.

Can anyone think of an UP side to this?

Sony wouldn't sell to Microsoft, there more than just a gaming company they sell TV's, camera's, computers and other devices they make tons of money on. Plus i'm sure there worth 50 billion or more. A play-box, or xstation sounds like a cool idea until you realize that with a monopoly they can overcharge you at every corner, and nickle and dime everyone. Although i like the idea of a united gaming community, no more fanboys, just games like it used to be.

Microsoft/Sony, well there's a disaster waiting to happen...

Both companies excel at selling/producing commoditized products, except for their Gaming divisions.

Not to mention monopolies are supposedly illegal, right? Or has that gone out the window or am I misunderstanding it?

Guest said:
Not to mention monopolies are supposedly illegal, right? Or has that gone out the window or am I misunderstanding it?
yeah..... i mean microsoft was shut down for their monopoly on internet browers, right?

zecias said:

yeah..... i mean microsoft was shut down for their monopoly on internet browers, right?

That was only a monoply for people that were too stupid to type "web browser" into goole though right?

Constantly changing market conditions dictate that market players employ flexible business strategies. If at some point in the near future, Microsoft and Sony determine that it would be be mutually beneficial for them to collaborate on certain aspects of the business, then I don't see why such a partnership would not prosper.

WTF! Those two doing something together, up to no good no doubt.

Microsoft is brewing something big, I think they want to take over the world.

Microsoft { get { World Domination; } set {Nokia, Yahoo, Skype, Baidu for english, Sony ?;}

I think Sony just wants in on Kinect for its console and is willing to get its knees
dirty to get the tech licensed.

hmm if they do merge and they make a new console that is made from the best aspects from the ps3 and the xbox360 which would be the ps3 controller( no more buyin batteries for a controller) the avater system and various marketplace from xbox live(the ps3 dashboard seems to boring needs an mini you)blu ray(gotta love that blu ray) game exlusive on games( everyone like to get tips and reviews on their favorite games from the click of ur console) free online gaming from psn( no more buyin memberships to play online,just the other stuff like movies, music, and games, and hey free demos.{come on not everything can be free}) and the kenict from xbox(turn ur console on and off, pause movies by the command of ur voice no more bottens for me as well as video chatting with friends any time u want, AWSOME!) this would be the most beast console ever, with this console out u would be sayin wat the f is a ps3 and xbox?(who knows if this will ever happens though probably wont even happen)

"A convenience is more addicting and sought after than sex or drugs". Microsoft/Sony knows what's up. Just surprises me that it has taken them so long to figure this out. Or has it? . . .

There is no depth behind this move. Just Microsoft want people think about that.

They have at least 2 games that I know of that are coming out(dust514 and Defiance) that are gonna be cross platform so maybe they're thinking about merging the online portion of the consoles rather then making a whole new system. Seems like the most plausible answer, I just hope we(PS3) don't have to start paying to play online. News just came out that they're redoing the PS3 online store to look more like the xbox marketplace so it all seems to look like a merger of some type....

You are very right. The Nintendo DS has sold more copies than the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 combined. If this is in fact a set-up for a new cross-company gaming system, then I can't imagine why any of you would be even remotely upset.

http://vgchartz.com/embeds/worldwide_totals.png#472

read it and weep

nintendo is king now

Uh, Dust514 has dropped Xbox360 support its not cross platform. Its PS3 Onry.

Outside of the Sony Ericson speculation. I'm going to guess (read: Hope/dream) this means the next microsoft system will have blu-ray/support sony's 3-d tv.

Sony wouldn't sell to Microsoft, there more than just a gaming company they sell TV's, camera's, computers and other devices they make tons of money on. Plus I'm sure there worth 50 billion or more. A play-box, or xstation sounds like a cool idea until you realize that with a monopoly they can overcharge you at every corner, and nickle and dime everyone. Although I like the idea of a united gaming community, no more fanboys, just games like it used to be.

They can't over charge me, I play PC! :p

I am hoping for some Sony-based windows phone. my experience with sony ericsson in the past has been very pleasant and I can't wait for some lumia rival from sony. even better if they revived the cyber-shot phone. my tweaked 2006 cyber-shot K800 phone takes much better picture than a 2011 LG E900. the videocamera was horrible though.

Back