Microsoft reveals default Windows 10 wallpaper: your thoughts?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows hero desktop image scenes microsoft operating system windows 10 background

Microsoft is hard at work putting the finishing touches on Windows 10 but one aspect has already been decided. The Redmond-based company on Thursday revealed its new “hero” desktop image, the default background you’ll see when installing the new OS.

There’s an awful lot riding on the success of Windows 10 and perhaps fittingly, the Redmond-based company went to great lengths to craft what it believes is the perfect default background image for Windows 10.

Microsoft commissioned Bradley G Munkowitz to come up with the image which he describes as a portal that allows us to look into space. As creative director of the project, Munkowitz used a wealth of techniques including camera mapping, lasers and lens flares to create an image that’ll eventually be seen by millions (if not billions) of people over the coming years.

The end result is admittedly something quite different compared to what we’ve seen in the past. Perhaps the most iconic of all is Bliss, the image of a rolling green hill and blue sky captured by former National Geographic photographer Charles O’Rear that shipped with Windows XP.

Predictably, reactions to the image have been mixed at best.

What are your thoughts on the Windows 10 hero image? Will you leave it be or immediately replace it with something else? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Naa I think they should have just recreated the xp shot. They must have spent hundreds of thousands on this one photo.

I like it. It seems pretty busy so I will have to try it on my desktop to see if I like it in reality.

It's fine. The wallpaper is not the most important thing to me and I'm sure those who do not like it will be able to change it. Personally I couldn't care less what M$ uses as a default wallpaper.

Frankly, who cares? It's an operating system. Simple software so why not quit trying to sell the sex and stick to performance. That's what we really want .....

Old eyes.

Hope I can change it as I may need to do so. Magnification and contrast are important (I.e., purple on blue means invisible).

I like it too. Its modern and nice and dark around the edges where all my icons sit, so they wont disappear into the background.

Yeah, its ok.

I still better be able to easily create a local account grrr!! :p

I like it, though I would have liked it more had I not had to wait until the last 4 seconds of the clip to actually see it.

Looks cool but I don't use dark backgrounds. It also doesn't look like it belongs in offices.

Obviously Satya is not qualified as the Microsoft CEO. He just steal the position with very dirty way

The new Microsoft CEO Satya should be jailed according to law. It is the dirtiest scandal in the world how he steal the CEO position with the adultery relation. The current most important Microsoft strategy was provided by me, but he did not do well. My supervisor seduced the lady LDS in HR department to change the records. He also sent engineer illegally going to my apartment, stealing software code. After He steal the position, I was fired. Though the adultery lady LDS was forced to leave the company when the adultery relation was disclosed, she came back with a promotion after Microsoft new CEO steal the psotion.

When I moved to a new place, he continued illegally monitors me. He
paid the money to my landlord and neighbours, who purposely set up traps to damage my personality and image, which was recorded illegally. Then the illegal records is used to show that I am not a good person with those purposely created dirty records. For example, I am temporarily sharing some open space with my neighbours. My neighbour purposely put her stuff at sixes and sevens before she left, then she would complain about it when she come back. It looks like that I mess everything. Actually I did clean the floor except I did not touch her dirty stuff. When I found those traps, they put a spider and ants on my bed, cut off water in restroom, push a big dog attacking at me. How a big shame to Microsoft and United States.

Obviously Satya is not qualified as the Microsoft CEO. He just steal the position with very dirty way

The new Microsoft CEO Satya should be jailed according to law. It is the dirtiest scandal in the world how he steal the CEO position with the adultery relation. The current most important Microsoft strategy was provided by me, but he did not do well. My supervisor seduced the lady LDS in HR department to change the records. He also sent engineer illegally going to my apartment, stealing software code. After He steal the position, I was fired. Though the adultery lady LDS was forced to leave the company when the adultery relation was disclosed, she came back with a promotion after Microsoft new CEO steal the psotion.

When I moved to a new place, he continued illegally monitors me. He
paid the money to my landlord and neighbours, who purposely set up traps to damage my personality and image, which was recorded illegally. Then the illegal records is used to show that I am not a good person with those purposely created dirty records. For example, I am temporarily sharing some open space with my neighbours. My neighbour purposely put her stuff at sixes and sevens before she left, then she would complain about it when she come back. It looks like that I mess everything. Actually I did clean the floor except I did not touch her dirty stuff. When I found those traps, they put a spider and ants on my bed, cut off water in restroom, push a big dog attacking at me. How a big shame to Microsoft and United States.

But what do you think of the desktop wallpaper?

I'm having a hard time believing anything you said. Not because it is not believable but because of your grammar, while leading us to believe you worked for Microsoft.

I don't understand why they need a picture for this. Photoshop could have easily sufficed for this. I will say though, it does look pretty good.

It's okay - I'll keep it for a little while but then I'm sure I'll move onto my themed ensembles. I do like how there are 10 distinct colored regions within the panes though.

I like it a lot. But I prefere they spend her many on a really good designer to proper make some nice icons and "Modern" interfaces. Background is plenty of them out there with great quality.

This Logo is solid no doubt, as a person who has created thousands of custom logo's and images. The work with the lighting and all the team was just to get the idea, the actual logo could have been created fast it is not super impressive actually. I am thinking about creating a better one just to reveal what a waste of time all that production was.

Back