Microsoft rumored to be developing its own smartphone to run WP8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Rumors are surfacing (no pun intended) once again that Microsoft is developing their own smartphone to run Windows Phone 8. A report published yesterday from China Times reignited rumors although no evidence or sources were mentioned. Today, however, WPCentral and BGR both claim independent sources have indeed confirmed that Microsoft has their own handset (no, not the ill-fated Kin) in the works.

In fact, sources told WPCentral that the hardware already exists and is in testing. Details about the device weren’t revealed but they did say it’s something unique compared to the current lineup of Windows Phone 8 handsets.

It wouldn’t be a stretch of the imagination for Microsoft to create their own mobile hardware for WP8. After all, they were able to develop the Surface tablet under a veil of secrecy. Granted, other vendors were made aware of the tablet ahead of time but the general public and those in most tech circles were none the wiser until the very end. Microsoft certainly has the resources to pull it off.

With several vendors already set to release Windows Phone 8 smartphones later this month, wouldn’t Microsoft once again risk alienating partners by launching their own phone? Not necessarily. As WPCentral speculates, they could mirror what Google is doing by offering their handset carrier-free. It’d give Microsoft an opportunity to showcase what they believe a Windows phone should be without imposing too heavily on hardware partners.

Alternately, a Microsoft phone could serve as a backup plan should the current batch of WP8 handsets fail to catch on with consumers. Nokia has invested a lot of time and money into the platform but if it doesn’t go as planned, internal hardware could bail Microsoft out of a tough situation.

Permalink to story.

Appears that MS is banking everything it has with this Win 8 release - to the point of creating multiple hardware platforms to support it.

If this fails, I'm not sure MS will ever be able to recover.

I'm beginning to like MS stamina in recent times...

1. June: We tell MS that Windows 8 ain't good for us, desktop-demanding users. MS says - "Like hell it is! We are releasing it!"

2. July: MS steps out with their own hardware, saying "OEM-s, screw you! We make our own bid in hardware now!"

3. August: MS releases VS2012 with a nightmare of UI colors and style and incredible bug count. We say - MS, come on! And MS says we should be open to the new ideas. Whose ideas and why - unknown.

4. Now after a long try with Nokia MS says ok, screw you Nokia, we'll make our own phone now.

I'm at a loss in deciding whether MS grew balls or lost its mind. Looks like a bit of both...

Yea cause WP7 was such a giant success it totally makes sense to now try and do WP8 also!

Oh wait WP7 was terribad and no one liked it, well 3rd time is the charm they say! lets just wait for WP9

Oh wait WP7 was terribad and no one liked it, well 3rd time is the charm they say! lets just wait for WP9

Probably because the majority don't know ish about Windows Phone OS, so they tell anyone that asks about it, that it must suck... which you'd know it doesn't if you'd actually do a little research.

I am not going to argue that WP7 was no huge success.... but to say it is terrible is kinda ignorant.

I'm beginning to like MS stamina in recent times...

1. June: We tell MS that Windows 8 ain't good for us, desktop-demanding users. MS says - "Like hell it is! We are releasing it!"

2. July: MS steps out with their own hardware, saying "OEM-s, screw you! We make our own bid in hardware now!"

3. August: MS releases VS2012 with a nightmare of UI colors and style and incredible bug count. We say - MS, come on! And MS says we should be open to the new ideas. Whose ideas and why - unknown.

4. Now after a long try with Nokia MS says ok, screw you Nokia, we'll make our own phone now.

I'm at a loss in deciding whether MS grew balls or lost its mind. Looks like a bit of both...

I'm thinking a bit of both.

Yea cause WP7 was such a giant success it totally makes sense to now try and do WP8 also!

Actually WP7 is a good OS and people who own the phone tend to say they love it it just never got the exposure of Android or iOS. Even though it had lower hardware specs then other phones it still ran smoother than they did. WP8 should be better and it is a good OS overall with just a few things on the desktop version that people don't seem to like but can get over.

I absolutely love WP7. I'm still rockin' my Samsung Focus from 2010. I previously used an iPhone and I currently have an Android tablet, but in my opinion, WP is simply the best mobile OS. Just about all of my complaints will be resolved with WP8, so I'm looking forward to it immensely. However, I'm thinking I'll go with the Lumia 920. Unless the Surface phone has an S4 Pro, I'll probably pass.

After they issued Surface and their own smartphone, later they will developing their own TV, HTPC, sound system, then freezer, dishwasher and another appliances (of course with Metro UI), after that MS will move to the next level: developing their own car, using touchscreen with Metro UI replacing the steering wheel and how you switch your gear with your finger gesture :p

After they issued Surface and their own smartphone, later they will developing their own TV, HTPC, sound system, then freezer, dishwasher and another appliances (of course with Metro UI), after that MS will move to the next level: developing their own car, using touchscreen with Metro UI replacing the steering wheel and how you switch your gear with your finger gesture :p

I like it.....

"I absolutely love WP7. I'm still rockin' my Samsung Focus from 2010. I previously used an iPhone and I currently have an Android tablet, but in my opinion, WP is simply the best mobile OS."

Toilet engine.

Back