Microsoft rushes out patch for critical shortcut flaw

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has issued an out-of-band patch today to address rising attacks against a critical Windows vulnerability discovered last month. The flaw in question involves the code that processes shortcut files ending in ".lnk" and allows malicious users to embed commands in shortcuts that are executed when the file is run. Making matters worse, every version of Windows is vulnerable and being used to spread a particularly nasty virus dubbed Sality.

According to a notice on the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, "Sality is a highly virulent strain […] known to infect other files (making full removal after infection challenging), copy itself to removable media, disable security, and then download other malware. It is also a very large family -- one of the most prevalent families this year." The fact that autorun can be used to start an attack process has helped this virus spread very fast.

The ~7MB patch just went live a few moments ago so it would be wise to check Windows Update to stay on the safe side. The update comes just over a week ahead of the regularly scheduled Patch Tuesday for the month of August.

Permalink to story.

Sality is one of the worst virus's you can get in an enterprise/company environment. It is a never ending battle if you have more than 100 computers and older servers. *shutter*

Maybe I am not seeing it, but where is the link to the XP patch? the most recent one i can find on their site is KB2286198 and I am not sure if that's it.

poundsmack said:
Maybe I am not seeing it, but where is the link to the XP patch? the most recent one i can find on their site is KB2286198 and I am not sure if that's it.

oh but it is. have a read.

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2286198)

Installation date: ‎8/‎2/‎2010 1:00 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=197393

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Just followed the linkage for this back to Microsoft and the file downloaded is ony ~4.5MB not ~7MB as in the article above ....is this the correct patch? It is called Windows6.1-KB2286198-x86.msu .

Guest, to satisfy your curiosity on the patch filesize ;)

Windows XP SP3 = 2.9MB
Windows Server 2003 SP2: 2.9MB
Windows XP x64 SP2 & Server 2003 x64 SP2 = 11.8MB
Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium = 13.4MB
Windows Vista SP1 & SP2 = 4.3MB
Windows Server 2008 SP1 & SP2 = 4.3MB
Windows Server 2008 x64 SP1 & SP2 = 6.7MB
Windows Server 2008 SP1 & SP2 for Itanium = 8.0MB
Windows Vista x64 SP1 & SP2 = 6.7MB
Windows 7 = 4.4MB
Windows 7 x64 = 6.7MB
Windows Server 2008 R2 = 6.7MB
Windows Server 2008 R2 = 17.1MB

poundsmack said:
Sality is one of the worst virus's you can get in an enterprise/company environment. It is a never ending battle if you have more than 100 computers and older servers. *shutter*

What's really sad is that I work for the State department, and they are hands down A## backwards network setup. When I joined, I found out that they are running mutliple 2000 boxes and didn't have much for front end protection or back end and we got hit by Sality and boy let me tell you about the endless nights we had to try and fix this, definitely not fun. Stupid state politics :)

What's really sad is that I work for the State department, and they are hands down A## backwards network setup. When I joined, I found out that they are running mutliple 2000 boxes and didn't have much for front end protection or back end and we got hit by Sality and boy let me tell you about the endless nights we had to try and fix this, definitely not fun. Stupid state politics :)

What is it with government/state departments and the requirement to be neck deep in sh## before they'll actually do something proactive! lol.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the cited file size was for Windows 7 x64, which I'm currently using. Thanks for the clarification Per :)

Back