Microsoft said to be planning Windows 10 event for late January

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows media event press event windows 10

Microsoft is planning to hold a Windows 10 media event in January in which the Redmond-based company will demonstrate several features of its next generation operating system.

Sources familiar with the matter told The Verge that Microsoft will indeed be present at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in early January but they’ll be hosting a separate event later in the month for Windows 10.

CES is one of the largest technology trade shows in the world. Last year, more than 150,000 industry professionals and members of the press converged on Las Vegas for the nearly week-long spectacle.

microsoft windows media event press event windows 10

With the entire tech world focused on CES, one might think it’d be the perfect place for Microsoft to showcase Windows 10’s consumer features but the fact that so many people are there can also be a drawback. By that, I mean it’s easy to get lost in the flood of news and product announcements.

Microsoft officially announced Windows 10 as the name of its next operating system this past September. Interested parties were also invited to download and install the Windows 10 Technical Preview to get a feel for the direction the OS was taking.

The January event is said to be a more significant affair than the initial unveiling. We’re told to expect details on Microsoft’s plans for Windows phones and tablets and perhaps even a dashboard update for the Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

What happened to windows 9?
Same thing that should have happened to Windows 8, scrubbed from existence before ever considered releasing to public.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is it trolling when you speak your mind? If so, I'm definitely trolling. The thought that I might actually be trolling must mean I am trolling. Surely trolling is not speaking your mind, even though you know you might insight a riot. On second thought, talking about Windows 8 in a Windows 10 thread is trolling. It's not my fault I see the same trash in Windows 10 that I despise in Windows 8.

Same thing that should have happened to Windows 8, scrubbed from existence before ever considered releasing to public.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is it trolling when you speak your mind? If so, I'm definitely trolling. The thought that I might actually be trolling must mean I am trolling. Surely trolling is not speaking your mind, even though you know you might insight a riot. On second thought, talking about Windows 8 in a Windows 10 thread is trolling. It's not my fault I see the same trash in Windows 10 that I despise in Windows 8.
It's not trolling, it's your opinion, you're entitled to it and you shouldn't care if others don't agree with you. You've never insulted anyone that I've noticed and you don't force your opinions on others.

Windows Vista = Windows 6
Windows 7 = Windows 6.5
Windows 8 = Windows 6.1
Windows 8.1 = Windows 6.2
windows 9 = Windows ?
Windows 10 = Windows 6.6

Never forget "the revolutionary Windows 7 will be full rewritten and will be running on hundreds of microkernels and never will freeze"

Cant wait.

Windows Vista = Windows 6
Windows 7 = Windows 6.5
Windows 8 = Windows 6.1
Windows 8.1 = Windows 6.2
windows 9 = Windows ?
Windows 10 = Windows 6.6
What rubbish are you trying to pass off on us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ver_(command)
Code:
Windows 95     4.00.950
Windows 95 OSR2     4.00.1111
Windows NT 4.0     4.00.1381
Windows 98     4.10.1998
Windows 98 SE     4.10.2222
Windows ME     4.90.3000
Windows 2000     5.00.2195
Windows XP     5.1.2600
Windows Server 2003     5.2.3790
Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008     6.0.6000
Windows Vista, SP2     6.0.6002
Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2     6.1.7600
Windows 7 SP1/Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1     6.1.7601
Windows 8/Windows Server 2012     6.2.9200
Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2     6.3.9600
Windows 10 Technical Preview     6.4.9841

That Guest, saying Windows 6 is going by what dos version is under Windows 7 for example:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tipstir>

The main feature I want to see is being able to break off that stack of tiles and move them over the right side of the screen - they make an ideal sidebar. It would also be great if we could disable the "ribbon". For most of us, drop-down menus were easier to navigate and didn't waste all that space. Finally, bring back a little of the Aero-style beautification as well and most users will be overjoyed. We shouldn't need third parties to make Windows usable again.

The main feature I want to see is being able to break off that stack of tiles and move them over the right side of the screen - they make an ideal sidebar. It would also be great if we could disable the "ribbon". For most of us, drop-down menus were easier to navigate and didn't waste all that space. Finally, bring back a little of the Aero-style beautification as well and most users will be overjoyed. We shouldn't need third parties to make Windows usable again.
That darned ribbon. The first sign that MS could not care less about its users.

Yes, I like the evaluation version, and I would like to see an Aero type available for us hi-end PC users

I tried the Technical Preview for a bit. Dual booting with 7. Its ...... o.k. , theres some definite improvements over 8/8.1 but it still looks like its made for phones/tablets. As a P.C. user I feel like I'm getting left in the closet by Microsoft. Ribbons and charms and flat colorless U.I.'s should stay where they belong I.e phones etc. I use a real computer and need/want "bling" and the opportunity to USE the power I paid for when I bought this machine.

Back