Microsoft says Edge has saved users 273 petabytes of RAM

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft shouting loudly about how great Edge is and why it's so much better than Chrome isn't something new, but Redmond's recently statistic regarding the browser is quite interesting. According to its maker, Edge's Sleeping Tabs feature has saved users a combined 273.7 Petabytes of RAM over the last 28 days, which works out at about 39 MB of memory for every open tab.

The stat was tweeted by the official Microsoft Edge Dev account. It notes that the Sleeping Tabs feature was used on six billion tabs across Windows devices over the past 28 days, resulting in a saving of 273.7 Petabytes (273,700 TB) of RAM savings, or 39.1 MB of RAM saved per each tab.

Sleeping Tabs, added to Edge back in January last year, is a featured designed for those users who like to keep dozens of browser tabs open at the same time (I.e., most of us). This can eat up system resources such as RAM and CPU usage, but Sleeping Tab builds on Chromium's "freezing" technology to essentially put unused tabs to 'sleep' after they haven't been accessed for two hours, helping free up the memory and CPU.

While 39 MB per tab might not sound like a huge saving, it can make a difference when there is a slew of tabs open on low-end devices that aren't packing a lot of memory. Sleeping Tabs can also help extend the battery life of laptops.

Sleeping Tabs is enabled by default in Edge, though the amount of time before a tab is made inactive can be changed in the browser's Settings menu under System and Performance - Optimize Performance.

Back in April, Edge squeezed out Safari to become the second-most-popular desktop browser globally. It currently has a 10% share—still a long way from Chrome's massive 66% slice of the pie.

Permalink to story.

Edge is no worse that chrome, which by all accounts what most people use. In fact for work purposes edge is better for me, I don't care if Microsoft know what I do at work. - or at all frankly

Edge is no worse that chrome, which by all accounts what most people use. In fact for work purposes edge is better for me, I don't care if Microsoft know what I do at work. - or at all frankly

Do you care if the US government knows? Microsoft is their single biggest voluntary informant in Big Tech.

Chrome is horribly heavy for RAM when you start to open tabs. People running into low memory can use OneTab extension, which transforms all tabs into a link list. Awesome solution.

Classic comment section for Microsoft Edge. The usual "it's reporting everything I do!" Arguments, by someone probably using Chrome, or Firefox, or Safari, or really any of the big browsers, they're all as bad as each other at this point.

But at same time, windows 10 wasted like 1 Zetabyte of ram, so it kinda comes even?

I was fine without internet explorer, I'll be fine without edge. I see no reason in using telemetry filled product.
So my guess is that you are using a dumb phone, some obsure linux release and a 'oos version of web browser? Because everything else has in one way or another telemetry in the product. ;)

So my guess is that you are using a dumb phone, some obsure linux release and a 'oos version of web browser? Because everything else has in one way or another telemetry in the product. ;)
nah, wrong guess;) And I'm not against telemetry as a general idea, but I want to reduce collected data as much as possible, and allowing only one company to know everything about you is not to my liking.
It is easy to block telemetry servers, use duck duck go search engine / browser, and be concious of your digital footprint. And when you have so huge company like MS, who is well known for aggresive expansion by any means necessary, with history of poor browsers, integration, data access (what other company fully analyse your privately stored pictures??) then it is just normal to reduce your exposure to it.
And nah, you don't need to use any obscure linux releases; there are nearly no linux distros who do telemetry out of the box so you'd be fine even with a Deepin ;)

So, Microsoft joins the club of shady companies (usually "cleaner" product creators) throwing around random, false, wholly impressive and totally unrealistic numbers of data-saving goodness.

Back