Microsoft says it's "doubling down" on PC games

Emil

Staff

Ever since it launched the Xbox, Microsoft has been readily criticized for letting the PC gaming platform fall over the wayside. After all, the company's number one product is Windows, gamers are one of its most dedicated customer groups, and despite Xbox's success, the company's number one gaming platform is still the PC.

Redmond's stance on PC games is supposedly about to change for the better. Microsoft's Peter Orullian, group product manager for Windows PC and Mobile, recently told Kotaku that he wants to "bring some of the rigor thought and success we've had on console to bare in the PC space. PC games is a place where we are doubling down."

So what could Orullian be referring to? Last week, Microsoft announced it was readying a browser-based Windows store for PC games called Games for Windows Marketplace. Gamers will be able to purchases games (100 titles available at launch) with Microsoft Points or their credit card, straight from the browser. The store is slated to launch on November 15 (better late than never?) but Orullian's quote seems to imply this is only the beginning of a broader PC gaming push from the company. We sure hope it is: PC gaming deserves a boost.

Permalink to story.

Although I know M$ is not the main developer of M$ Games, I still enjoy playing some of their games, namely Halo 1, Age of Empires 2/3, Dungeon Siege 1/2. Hey M$ where is the next version?

If only I didn't have to log into Windows Live just to play their dumb games. I don't want my stats tracked, I just want to the play the game. I also hate how you have to have a unique gamer tag. I will never see another person using my name, why should it be reserved forever to one person? Anyway, it looks like Steam is the way to go for digital distribution. M$, this is a start, but you have yet to learn what gamers really want

Wow, a place on the internet for buying pc games. Thanks Microsoft for saving the pc gaming.

Man, talk about a company that can't decide what its stance is on PC gaming. First they slam the PC and say hardly anyone plays shooters on the PC, then they say they want to "lead the way" into a bright PC gaming future... Well, at least this is another positive move towards more PC platform support.

Still, I can't help wondering if it will help, or just fragment things more? As the Guest above noted, many hate the Windows Live system, and really don't want to be forced to use it. But, then again, many hate Steam and don't want to use it, yet Steam keeps growing and gaining marketshare. Just seems like, rather than reinventing the same wheel, Microsoft could get much more return by partnering up with one of the big digital distributors, who already have a huge foothold and experience with consumer demand.

nismo91 said:
Although I know M$ is not the main developer of M$ Games, I still enjoy playing some of their games, namely Halo 1, Age of Empires 2/3, Dungeon Siege 1/2. Hey M$ where is the next version?

Amen to Dungeon Siege! I hope 3 comes out anytime soon..

Guest said:
If only I didn't have to log into Windows Live just to play their dumb games. I don't want my stats tracked, I just want to the play the game. I also hate how you have to have a unique gamer tag. I will never see another person using my name, why should it be reserved forever to one person? Anyway, it looks like Steam is the way to go for digital distribution. M$, this is a start, but you have yet to learn what gamers really want

I feel the same way. It seems that everyone is more concerned about their 'stats' than simply enjoying the game.

Here's a business idea: port Xbox games to the PC two years after you've released them. that's all i'm asking... I don't even care about new titles anymore. I just want to play red dead redemption with PC resolution, ok??
Of course I know this isn't really Microsoft's decision but Rockstar's, but hey, I wouldn't mind giving Halo 3 a shot someday too.... the Halo 1 campaign was fantastic!

Here's how you can save pc gaming. Tell developers, If the PC release isn't up to standards that it should be with games like HL2, you don't get to put your games on the Xbox. I know it's probably not financially intelligent but it would push devs to make games for PC and port to console like they ****ing should be in the first place. But sadly the world doesn't work that way.

+1 for Red Dead Redemption. I am dying to play that game. I would also like to check out Halo if there was a PC version. There is a whole group of gamers that they are ignoring. Since they are going to put more emphasis back into PC gaming, I wonder if the Flight Sim title will return.

Steam is so far ahead of anybody else. Talk about a successful platform. Windows Live is buggy as hell and just terrible.

hmm so once thy say PC gaming is dead and then thy say no its alive and now thy say it needs a boost

and this games for windows live is a joke vs steam and other buy and download games services

princeton said:
Here's how you can save pc gaming. Tell developers, If the PC release isn't up to standards that it should be with games like HL2, you don't get to put your games on the Xbox. I know it's probably not financially intelligent but it would push devs to make games for PC and port to console like they ****ing should be in the first place. But sadly the world doesn't work that way.

+1 on this as well.

Totally agree with this statement.

All I want is some games with a bit of polish on them (L4D2, HL2 and TF2 are good examples)
I've played the Xbox versions and they suck! thats how it should be!
Why oh why Microsoft will you not follow Valves lead!

This is just like when president Bush gave everyone a "stimulus package" $500 and told all us to go spend the money so the economy would grow. Some people fell for it and spent that money on frivolous items instead of saving it or paying off bills. Today the economy is still bad cuz we never got back the million jobs they allowed to leave US.
I will believe M$ is serious about PC gaming when they themselves publish more games, until then "don't believe the hype".

Releasing a platform by which people can buy games is not going to help PC gaming, unless they have price reductions and sales even more awesome than steam's. There is already a lot of digital distribution platforms. What Microsoft should do, like others have stated, is release xbox exclusives like gears 2 and halo reach on the PC and promote future xbox exclusives to also release on the PC. I actually fear that a day will come when companies like Bioware will not make a PC version of their xbox exclusives.

i know microsoft deserves a bashing for all its dont to the pc gaming world but i am sure they can surely make it up 2 us......lets see how they go about it......and i never had any bad thing against GFWL so i def would welcome it.....well i must say i do prefer GFWL than steam.

I have purchased 14 games on steam and have not spent over $150. I would say $100, but I bought BFBC2 at full price.

I know this will sound big brotherish, but in the area of games, but I'd like to see some kind of "certification" body that loads up the games in their final retail version, plays it for a day, and either certifies it as ready to play out of the box, or sends it back to the publisher for more work.

I'm sick of paying for beta releases of games, then waiting X amount of months before they patch it. The whole point of buying a game at release for $60 is to get the fun out of it when its new. Having to wait until the game is patched, perhaps angrily passing a few sites already discounting the game beyond what you paid for it, is just irritating the customers.

The easiest way for Microsoft to revive PC gaming is this.

"Buy the XBOX/PC version and get a free key to play it on the system that you did not buy it for"

I had to buy two L4D2 and Bad Company 2..because I have friends that only use one or the other. I only buy for the PC now because that gets way too expensive. I'd play my 360 more often and buy more games if the PC got some of the goodies that the 360 got.

Now let me preface my question by stating that I am not super familiar with steam, but how much is this new service that Microsoft is coming out with going to be any different than steam? Is it just going to be the selection of game or what?

I have owned and played almost every gaming console and PC gaming is by far the greatest in my opinion. The graphics are always much better, the controls are easier, and there is more selection in games. PC gaming FTW!

Back