Microsoft sells 400,000 Surface Pros despite $899+ price tag

Rick

Staff

Despite its rather steep $899 entry price -- and Microsoft's inability to keep the tablet in stock -- the company has moved more than 400,000 Surface Pro tablets since its February 9 debut. This information comes from anonymous sources in contact with Bloomberg.

While Microsoft is no stranger to making peripheral hardware and even game consoles, Surface represents the software maker's first DIY foray into the cut-throat business of producing an computers. With PC sales declining for the first time in nearly a decade, the stakes may be high for a company who depends on PC sales to move its products.

The relatively swift uptake of Surface Pro tablets in comparison to its much less expensive RT sibling is somewhat unexpected. However, the Surface Pro (and Windows 8) did bring something novel to the tablet space though: a desktop experience.

All told, Microsoft's Surface RT and Surface Pro sales add up to roughly 1.5 million units since October 26, 2012. Although 1.5 million is impressive by most everyday measures, it pales in comparison to competitors like Apple and Google who move millions upon millions of iPad and Nexus 7 tablets each month. In fact, Apple shipped nearly 23 million iPads in just Q3 2012.

In 2012, Microsoft projected it would move about two million Surface RT tablets in December alone. In hindsight though, that's nearly twice as many Surface RTs Microsoft has sold over the course of nearly five months.

Despite Surface's less than impressive sales, it seems Microsoft remains fully committed to the product. In November, Microsoft doubled-down on Surface, guaranteeing four and a half years of support. Recently, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted to Surface's relatively sluggish sales but said its tablets are real business -- even if they don't dominate the sales charts.

Permalink to story.

We now know there are 400,000 suckers out there...
Not exactly sure how they are suckers. If they like it then it's money well spent. If they don't, they can return it.

Well the "duh" award goes to you... that was my opinion. And in America I'm free to express it. I think MS is terrible and $900 is too much to spend on any tablet, let alone an MS tablet, first gen, with all its bugs.
But OF COURSE the obvious award would be givento someone if they said "well, if I won the lottery I'd get one."

I think most of them where just sold to marketing firms so they could make a commercial snapping them together while dancing, without showing them doing anything actually useful.

There is a word? Called Credit buy now pay later.. If they got these tablets off QVC or HSN they got 5 to 6 monthly payments. This gives you the pro in your hands. Better if you wait for Christmas in July 2013 on QVC this means you can have a tablet now use it and if you don't like it you can return it in January 2014 or just keep it. You'll end up paying more than $100 extra on these networks.

Pro is $899 then it should have everything on there, if you have to spend $1199 to have it all on the Pro out of the reach for most. To me the price should be lowered. Those of you who spend this type of money might get mad if a Pro II comes out. Just don't know what Microsoft will do next!

I'm certainly not a defender of Microsoft... .and I really don't care for Windows 8. But being in the IT business, this is currently the most useful tablet around for my needs. Having a full OS where I can access Active Directory tools, easily copy and move files to and from servers, workstations, etc, and just about do anything from it that I can with my desktop, that is a pretty sweet deal right there. I have one of the Pro's and I love the hardware. The unit is solid and well build (surprisingly, if I'm honest), the detachable keyboard is actually really cool, I can fold it back all the way and the keys are disabled so I can still hold it like a tablet. I don't have to mess around with it, it just works for my needs. The display is awesome, plenty bright, good viewing angles, and at 1920x1080 I can actually have space to move windows around and get real work done. Battery life is pretty poor though, which is really my only major complaint.

So there are uses for this tablet, it's just not for everyone and I can certainly see why.

I wrote an entire novel on my Surface RT with Word, and I'm posting this through it's desktop-type browsing experience.

Earlier today I recorded three university lectures with a recorder app, took notes during said lectures with OneNote, and tended to my Twitter and YouTube accounts before blogging on my Tumblr.

It's highly useful, and fast. You couldn't pay me to trade it in for an iPad.

It's meant to be a mix between a tablet and an ultrabook (tablet form, ultrabook/real OS). So of course it won't be as cheap and won't sell as well as other tablets!

And man, so many ignorant Surface haters... I bet they haven't even touched one before -_-

It's meant to be a mix between a tablet and an ultrabook (tablet form, ultrabook/real OS). So of course it won't be as cheap and won't sell as well as other tablets!

And man, so many ignorant Surface haters... I bet they haven't even touched one before -_-

Surface haters are, 9 times out of 10, Apple Acolytes who can't stand the thought that another company's device could out-perform theirs. They wouldn't ever touch a Surface, only scoff at it from a distance.

I actually had a guy in my university library snicker at me as I sat there in my own cubicle, doing homework.

They're snobs.

Surface haters are, 9 times out of 10, Apple Acolytes who can't stand the thought that another company's device could out-perform theirs. They wouldn't ever touch a Surface, only scoff at it from a distance.

I actually had a guy in my university library snicker at me as I sat there in my own cubicle, doing homework.

They're snobs.
I couldn't disagree more. The majority of Surface haters are either people who regard tablets as gimmicky little toys that are usually bought, played with for a month and then chucked in a draw, or people that plain and simple have a serious dislike towards the complete dogpile that is the new Microsoft OS.

Personally, I'm apathetic towards Surface. It's not going to improve my productivity or quality of life, so I have no reason to get one, nor do I have any real reason to hate it either.

I couldn't disagree more. The majority of Surface haters are either people who regard tablets as gimmicky little toys that are usually bought, played with for a month and then chucked in a draw, or people that plain and simple have a serious dislike towards the complete dogpile that is the new Microsoft OS.

Personally, I'm apathetic towards Surface. It's not going to improve my productivity or quality of life, so I have no reason to get one, nor do I have any real reason to hate it either.

Then our majorities differ.

We differ on dogpile classification, too. It took me about 15 minutes to grasp Windows 8, where most people who call it a dogpile just aren't very good at adjusting to new patterns or innovations.

They chalk up the new OS to a dogpile because the Start button was removed, and they can't grasp the following 'new' directions:

Swipe down to close program. Swipe right to bring up Charms menu. Swipe left to switch to another program running in the background. Swipe up to right-click.

You have to wonder about people who can't understand such simple directions. One can only deduce that they are A) not very smart, or B) have some other, deep-seated reason for their hatred of the OS.

Whatever the case may be, it allows me to enjoy the convenience of a tablet, and be productive. As a student, author, and entrepreneur, I had to wait for such a device if I was going to get a tablet at all, because the rest are only toys.

Personally...I love the Surface PRO! It's Windows 8 that makes me hesitant to jump in! :)

The Surface has the one thing missing from the iPad: a USB port! This one simple oversight makes tablets like the iPad 100% USELESS for office work. If I'm going to be working in Excel, Photoshop, or any other type of office-based software application...then all I care about is being able to connect my mouse/keyboard to it. If someone wants to innovate a new way of interfacing "on top" of that functionality, I'm all for it...but don't take away my mouse/keyboard plz...

-Ravik-

The Surface Pro wouldn't be bad if it could be upgraded to Windows 7. I like the idea of a productivity tablet.

We differ on dogpile classification, too. It took me about 15 minutes to grasp Windows 8, where most people who call it a dogpile just aren't very good at adjusting to new patterns or innovations.
You are absolutely correct, I do find it difficult to adjust to a new car painted in twenty different pastel colors. It's not that I couldn't adjust to Windows 8, its the fact that at the moment I find no need in adjusting. You can keep your tablet and the OS that was designed for it, because Microsoft didn't design it with my PC in mind.

Edit:

Ohh and I don't have to touch a tablet because I know it could never replace my PC and I don't have the money to be spending on every little trinket that comes out.

The Surface Pro wouldn't be bad if it could be upgraded to Windows 7. I like the idea of a productivity tablet.
what?
most windows 8 haters (at least the ones I read about) hate the idea of a windows 8 OS inside a desktop computer but praises windows 8 as a full-fledged tablet OS.
and your idea of "upgrading" a tablet OS to windows 7 is so... nevermind...

I am not surprised the Pro sells better than the RT model. The RT version of Office is cut down version of Office and crucially does not includes macro operation which is a big no to business use. Both versions are overpriced but price is not as critical for business users provided there is a perceived advantages for it use.

I've use the Surface RT and like it and don't know why the critics didn't like the panel. Sharp and clear. I'll wait for the price to go down. The Pro needs some more features to shell out those funds for it. A tablet is not a laptop nor a netbook. It's a tablet. Later down the tech world when the newer panels come out that can fold-up into your shirt pocket those tablets would be more fun to carry around than current tech.

Tablets will be faster have a lot of RAM and larger storage but again later down the road on that path of new tech technology..

I have my Android tablets here you can do a lot but still again I still use my PCs more the desktop also the laptop and netbooks get more of a workout than the tablet does. To take the PC with you would be the tablet in the SUV which can be mounted up front or and the rear of the front seats head rest. If you have SUV with setting for 7 to 8 you can have all these tablets running media via WiFi storage or internet access via your cell phone tethering FoXit.

So there are many uses for the tablet also can be used in the kitchen and bathroom. Wait up to the news from USA Today or watch Geekbeat TV and see what's new in tech world or view TechSpot reviews here.

I as you can see there are many uses that the tablet can give you than what a Desktop PC can't too because of the size, keyboard, mouse, monitor. Laptop and netbook still has the keyboard. Sure the hybrid ultra laptop/tablet still has weigh on it (money).

400.000 eh. Now imagine how many they could've sold and the profit they could've made if they sold them at a price that justified the purchase.

Back