Microsoft server 03

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_ds3000

i have installed server 03 on an 2 year old computer, how can i configure the server to allow me to store data and back-ups on it and access the data from a diff. computer. i been searching the web all day and cant come up with any guild for server 03

2 ways... the easy way or the "do everything way". you can simply share a folder like you would on an xp machine. rt-click it and click shareing and security. then share this folder as.. or share this drive as... or theres the Storage Server way... you get almost every feture you can think of. go to manage my server and add stoage managment or storage services, somthing to hat effect. its been a while and my servers are not here 2 check. is that what your looking for? theres a lot more fetures if you want to go into them...

the Storage Server sounds like what i want. i only been using server 03 for a week now so i don't really know my way around it yet

with storage management (or S.M. for now)(an mmc snap-n) you get control. basicly its designed for a large buissness with a lot of shares and the S.M. controls users and their permissions as well as disk quotas. there is a lot more but i think, with what it sounds like, you'd be better off with simple file shareing or the easy method. let me check my server in a sec.

I'm 16 to so i no exactily what you mean... go to the manage my server window, and click add a role. go through the dialouge windows click file server, in stall this (you may have to restart) and after completly installed go back to manage my server and under file server click on manage this file server. this is where everything about file shareing you will ever need is. to share a file, folder, or drive go to the left pane and click on the share folders management then click on share folders and then shares. this is a list of all your shares. at the top just under the help menu, there is a new share button go through that and you will have that folder shared. make sure you specify who has assess to the share because by default it is just the administrator. if you have active directory and dns and dhcp(domain controller) then to make change to the user's accounts you must go to active directory. now you have it shared, try that and see where it gets you. i like q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back