Microsoft showcases 'Windows in the Car' concept to rival CarPlay

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows car concept takes apple carplay windows in the car

Microsoft is no stranger when it comes to in-car entertainment. A number of companies including BMW, Fiat, Ford, Kia and Nissan have all used modified versions of Windows to power their entertainment systems in the past. But Microsoft has also been focusing on their own vision of what in-car entertainment should look like, recently sharing that vision during their Build conference.

The concept, which looks a bit like Apple’s CarPlay, is currently being tested in real cars. It basically takes what is shown on a Windows device like a smartphone and displays it on the vehicle’s dash / console screen complete with touch controls and a car-friendly interface.

To accomplish this task, Microsoft is using a connectivity standard called Mirrorlink. It’s already in use by Nokia’s Symbian handsets and Sony’s Xperia Z but will likely gain a wider reach in the future as more infotainment systems adopt it. Citroen, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen as well as aftermarket stereo providers Alpine and Pioneer are all working to bring Mirrorlink technology to their respective products.

The prototype user interface looks like a slimmed down version of Windows 8 complete with an app marketplace. Touch will be a big part of the interaction as users will swipe between tiles to control things like the radio, access maps and more.

During a public demo, Microsoft’s Steve Teixeira outlined how developers will be able to build apps specifically for in-car use. Unfortunately he stopped short of announcing when the platform might show up in new cars or whether or not any automakers have shown interest in adopting it.

Permalink to story.

Looks cool but I seriously hope the consumer can choose which OS to have in the car as if its just a bunch of cars are gonna have 1 OS only then the car business will become useless and hackers will hopefully mod this or a good company will allow you to choose.

It would seriously suck not being able to choose specially if you want a car and it has windows and you want androids or ios then you will not only loose out on some features you might want or need but it would mean having to learn a new OS yet again....

Looks cool but I seriously hope the consumer can choose which OS to have in the car as if its just a bunch of cars are gonna have 1 OS only then the car business will become useless and hackers will hopefully mod this or a good company will allow you to choose.

It would seriously suck not being able to choose specially if you want a car and it has windows and you want androids or ios then you will not only loose out on some features you might want or need but it would mean having to learn a new OS yet again....
I agree. But if you think about it, the fact that big companies like MS and Apple are invading the car space could drive small in-car infotainment/entertainment system creators/developers out of business. The little details put into car infotainment systems are very crucial and these big company OSes could ruin that.

Great. Now instead of getting so angry I want to throw my POS Windows 8 PC out the window because repeatedly swiping corners and sides only randomly works sometimes to make hidden magic menus appear, now I'll be so pissed off I'll just want to smash my whole car into the nearest telephone pole.

For god's sake car makers, DON'T PUT WINDOWS 8 on ANYTHING in a car! If you do, you'll have invented a whole new category of road rage!

Great. Now instead of getting so angry I want to throw my POS Windows 8 PC out the window because repeatedly swiping corners and sides only randomly works sometimes to make hidden magic menus appear, now I'll be so pissed off I'll just want to smash my whole car into the nearest telephone pole.

For god's sake car makers, DON'T PUT WINDOWS 8 on ANYTHING in a car! If you do, you'll have invented a whole new category of road rage!

My car RROD again.
My car BSOD again.

So if I'm no longer happy with the OS my cars running, must I flog it and buy another car? No problem. And when the OS gets upgraded do I punch in my credit card number and download the new one while steaming along at 100 mph? Again no problem especially if the 'new and improved' Windows 37 costs more than what my car is worth.
I don't want to read emails and chat on FB & Twitter while I'm busy driving, the roads are bad enough as it is without having more distractions.

My car already has Windows in it because its a Ford. I have Microsoft Sync system which is essentially built on the windows interface.

I don't think having multiple OS's for cars should matter though just because its a car lawlz.

Back