Microsoft Store employee steals $10,000 worth of software, games

Emil

Staff

A Microsoft Store employee has been accused of stealing and reselling thousands of dollars worth of software. On April 26, 2011, 31-year-old Ulugbek Shodmonov was charged first-degree theft for shoplifting software from Microsoft's Redmond store. Prosecutors state he then resold it online before Microsoft security discovered what he was up to, according to charging documents cited by Seattle PI.

Redmond Police first received a report of the alleged thefts in December 2010. Microsoft said Shodmonov spent nearly all of his yearly allowance at the Redmond campus company store by August 2010. Of course, the point of the company store is to give employees access to Microsoft products at deep discounts (note: I've bought products there before – software is particularly cheap), but they are only allowed to spend a specified amount of their money.

Company investigators identified Shodmonov's eBay account and found that he auctioned off 17 copies of Microsoft software and 18 Xbox 360 games. Shodmonov's purchase history at the company store confirms he bought one copy of Windows 7 Professional, but surveillance of the store showed Shodmonov carrying software out of a closed area at least 22 times. During six visits to the store in October 2010, Shodmonov could be seen on the video taking items out of the locked software room, accessible by employees using their company key cards.

According to the report, a total of $9,900 worth of software was stolen on the days in question, though it is not clear if Shodmonov is suspected of being responsible for the total amount of the thefts. We're not quite sure how he thought he would get away with it.

Permalink to story.

Emil, is this name spelled backwards, "Ulugbek Shodmonov" ?

Let's see a show of hands, how many of you think "Uggy" should go with the "illegal download defense"? That would be, "It wasn't worth paying for, so I stole it"!

one word *****.

Hmm lets steal from my employer then sell it with an Ebay account attached to my credit card so when the cops find out and they will, they come knocking at your door.

Are there any smart criminals left in this world LMAO.

They should force him to pay back the value all the software taken, give back the profits he made and send him to india or china to fix Windows XP pc's for the next 5 years :)

gwailo247 said:
Sounds like the Microsoft Store needs a security patch.

Excelent humor...

However the *news* of a theft from MS left me more than a little mortified because (a) I just bought my first *legit* windows OS / XP 64bit (b) purchased said OS from a US eBayer at an unbelieveably good price

So clearly not a Good News day for me...

still don't see how getting an unbelievably good price on a legit copy of XP, and then you read this article and your "good news" for the day is tainted?

Absolutely correct! Probably they could "sandbox" suspicious employees.
M$'s software engineers playing in a sandbox. Hm, that rather nicely explains Internet Explorer 6. Could it be that it was developed during a "timeout", between drawing "smiley faces" and stealing X-Boxes?

Sound like to me this guy created his own version of a Microsoft Windows Service Pack! He put the stuff in a pack, went home and sold it all on-line and got serviced by the proceeds! Sound like this guy went through a whole lot of them, (SP1), (SP2), (SP-Himself), (SP4) and so forth.......

Back