Microsoft tightens Windows 8 activation policy to curb piracy

Jos

Staff

Piracy is a fact of life for Microsoft. Case in point: just two days after the company began distributing the finalized version of Windows 8 to partners around the globe, the code became publicly available across various file sharing sites. Microsoft declined to comment on the leak but, presumably, someone working at an OEM was responsible.

Previous products have leaked online as well, and while its very unlikely they’ll get rid of the problem altogether anytime soon, Microsoft is looking to close down a few of the loop holes that made life easier for pirates and rogue OEMs. In particular Microsoft is looking to change the way they deal with OEM activations for Windows 8.

OEM Activation (OA) allows PC manufacturers to ship systems with Windows preinstalled and already activated, so that customers don't need to take any additional steps to activate the OS when they first use a new computer. In the past, a single activation key was used by most OEMs to activate all of their shipped machines. However, going forward, manufacturers will be required to write a unique Windows product key into the BIOS of each new PC, based on each particular system’s hardware.

This key isn’t automatically generated by OEMs either. They will need to obtain it directly from Microsoft via electronic delivery and factories will be required to file production reports to Microsoft detailing their license compliance, thus making it harder to avoid paying licensing fees to Microsoft.

The new activation scheme hasn’t been officially confirmed by Microsoft -- details are based off a series of leaked slides obtained by The Register. According to the site, OA 3.0 will only apply to new PCs running Windows 8. Other versions, including Windows Server 2012, Windows 7 and earlier are not affected.

At this point it’s unclear what the move will mean for individuals buying OEM versions of the OS, or if the hardware based activation will somehow affect users manually upgrading their laptops’ storage or memory.

Microsoft has set a release date of October 26 for Windows 8. Upgrade pricing is set at $39.99 for those running legit copies of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Those that purchased a Windows 7 machine in the months leading up to Windows 8’s release, are eligible to upgrade for just $14.99.

Permalink to story.

Why would you want to pirate something that costs a lousy 40 bucks? Especially something as important to your system as an operating system.

Some people just don't have or want to part with it I guess. In my younger years I've been guilty of doing similar things. I think it will take a bit of maturity and respect for the IT industry and its processes for something like this to pass.

Currently we buy all HP Pc's that use the same OEM key pre-installed though they have different keys on the license tags. It is tied to the BIOS somehow to only allow a WIM image syspreped with an answer file created with WSIM ustilizing an HP Windows 7 Source CD to activate.

Hopefully this just means it will be more of a hassle for the Manufacturer forcing them to be more responsible with the licenses granted them. Otherwise it may become more difficult to make one master generalized image for a company.

I think the majority of windows 8 pirates are going to be people who do not have a genuine windows OS

I think it will take a bit of maturity and respect for the IT industry and its processes for something like this to pass.

Agreed, but that maturity isn't going to come anytime soon. In fact, I think that the technology age has brought upon us the biggest generation of "adult children" humankind has ever seen.

Game on then Microsoft eh? It will be cracked 1 week after it becomes available and thats a fact! Just before I get the "Your the reason the industry is dying" lectures just remember that its Microsoft, there notorious for releasing incomplete garbage and deserve what they get in my opinion!

Dont hate the player, hate the game and trust me its Microsofts monopoly set in question!

Why would you want to pirate something that costs a lousy 40 bucks? Especially something as important to your system as an operating system.

LOL. $40 means nothing to you huh? In that case, you can buy every one of your readers a copy.
OS is important? Tell that to the users still on XP.

I'll stick with my bootleg-ed windows 7 for now. I just got windows 7 in 2010, and in 2012 were already updating to 8?
I use to think we'd have a 5 year period between operating systems. I assumed vista being such crap, that the speeding out of windows 7 was a response to vista's crappyness. then we'd we resume 5 year intervals.

maybe, and just maybe because the Retail (non upgrade) version of windows is way out of reach for an average consumer. to get a copy of Win 8 and qualify for the quoted $40 upgrade, one would still need to shell out $200~$280 for a copy of windows 7. that's a whopping $250~$300 price tag for just one computer license. consider XP is no longer on the market for sale. I would say realistically, $250~$300 is more in line with what would pay for a new copy. and I wonder why more and more people are ditching PC altogether for a Macbook pro, which btw is selling like hotcakes. a stand alone version of the OS along is like what $25~$50 (if I can recall), and that's not even for the upgrade. I guess if one really wants, you can go hunt down an old copy of XP from some relative somewhere and install it on your machine, and purchase the upgrade, and install the upgrade and, but then everytime you reinstall your PC you'll have to go through the same process. see the problem there.

I'll stick with my bootleg-ed windows 7 for now. I just got windows 7 in 2010, and in 2012 were already updating to 8?
I use to think we'd have a 5 year period between operating systems. I assumed vista being such crap, that the speeding out of windows 7 was a response to vista's crappyness. then we'd we resume 5 year intervals.

Are you serious? You just said you pirated your copy of windows 7, and you're complaining about speed of OS release?

You are upset that Microsoft is making you steal more frequently? huh?

LOL. $40 means nothing to you huh? In that case, you can buy every one of your readers a copy.
OS is important? Tell that to the users still on XP.

Who said $40 "means nothing" to Tom? Just because he thinks $40 for an OS is a good deal doesn't mean he lacks an appreciation for the money. In the grand scheme of things, $40 is relatively inconsequential. That costs less than virtually any individual component in my aging mid-range PC. Also, just because someone finds XP sufficient for their needs doesn't mean they don't think their OS is important.

It's just vista that came out really late. the rest had much shorter intervals.

maybe, and just maybe because the Retail (non upgrade) version of windows is way out of reach for an average consumer. to get a copy of Win 8 and qualify for the quoted $40 upgrade, one would still need to shell out $200~$280 for a copy of windows 7. that's a whopping $250~$300 price tag for just one computer license. consider XP is no longer on the market for sale. I would say realistically, $250~$300 is more in line with what would pay for a new copy. and I wonder why more and more people are ditching PC altogether for a Macbook pro, which btw is selling like hotcakes. a stand alone version of the OS along is like what $25~$50 (if I can recall), and that's not even for the upgrade. I guess if one really wants, you can go hunt down an old copy of XP from some relative somewhere and install it on your machine, and purchase the upgrade, and install the upgrade and, but then everytime you reinstall your PC you'll have to go through the same process. see the problem there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116716

That's if we're talking about the majority(average) of people. They can shell out 179 for windows 7(which btw would probably be around the price of the new windows 8 home version). And the average performance/price ratio is in favor of systems with Windows on it. So you shouldn't compare prices and then add Apple's name into the equation.

But since we are talking about your average customer. They will get a copy of windows from HP,Dell,Acer,Toshiba... for little to nothing cost.

Macs are selling like hotcakes using previous Mac sales numbers as a measuring stick. It's still insignificant.

This isn't particularly new. BIOS based keys have been around a while for Microsoft. The problem is, BIOS's can be read and modified relatively easily (not the settings, the raw BIOS). There are already many bios SLIC mods out there for Win7 alone to perma-activate without key. And those are only the relatively "hard" hardware mods.

There are software BIOS emulators called "loaders" out there too that load in after the BIOS but before windows and trick Win registry into thinking you are running a different BIOS and key.

If Windows costed $40, there would be no more piracy. It costs 5-10 times as much and it just reeks of corporate greed. Apple is selling their OS at a reasonable price point.

If Windows costed $40, there would be no more piracy. It costs 5-10 times as much and it just reeks of corporate greed. Apple is selling their OS at a reasonable price point.

Except MS gives FREE updates/patches for decades whereas if you want to patch/update MacOS you have to pay ~30-40 bucks every year.

Why would you want to pirate something as lousy as Windows 8? I doubt you could pay a pirate to use this release.

Honestly Windows 7 was the first affordable OS, OEM at least, which is how I sold it. For $120 you got Win 7 HP, $160 for Pro. The retail copies are just there for the uninformed. They really shouldn't be too concerned with piracy this time around either, anyone already running Win 7 has no motivation to upgrade to it, and if this new activation system doesn't affect current OS's even better. However at the end of the day, it will be cracked, its inevitable.

"This isn't particularly new. BIOS based keys have been around a while for Microsoft. The problem is, BIOS's can be read and modified relatively easily (not the settings, the raw BIOS). There are already many bios SLIC mods out there for Win7 alone to perma-activate without key. And those are only the relatively "hard" hardware mods.
There are software BIOS emulators called "loaders" out there too that load in after the BIOS but before windows and trick Win registry into thinking you are running a different BIOS and key."

You seriously need to learn, because obviously you don't get what has changed in this area in Windows 8.

Whoever is paying $200-300 for win 7 is a sucker. You can get oem or during sales for about $100-120 here in the US.

By purchasing your MB pro, you already given Apple plenty of $$ from their markup on hardware.

Except MS gives FREE updates/patches for decades whereas if you want to patch/update MacOS you have to pay ~30-40 bucks every year.

sounds like you obviously have never used OSX. they come out with software updates just like windows to patch and update. the major updates like lion, snow leopard, tiger etc are major OS updates like going from win95~win98~win2000. at least that's the closest comparison.

Back