Microsoft to offer downloadable Windows 7 Touch Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It would seem that Redmond has plans to offer a downloadable copy of the Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7. First introduced in May, the Windows 7 Touch Pack includes several applications and games that are compatible with touch-enabled displays.

It was initially only intended to be packaged with OEM systems, but the official page suggests that has now changed: "The Touch Pack comes preinstalled on some multitouch PCs running Windows 7, and will soon be available for download." For further confirmation, Neowin received word from a Microsoft spokesperson who said, "Microsoft is planning to make it available via download soon but has not confirmed/committed to a timeline."

The software bundle features programs like Microsoft Surface Globe, a multi-touch 3D globe with information about regions, 3D cities and more. Other applications include Microsoft Surface Collage, Microsoft Surface Lagoon, Microsoft Blackboard, Microsoft Rebound, and Microsoft Garden Pond. Neowin has detailed the Windows 7 Touch Pack if you're interested.

It's also worth noting that the Touch Pack can be downloaded from countless unofficial sources if you don't want to wait for Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

Good marketing strategy from Microsoft to take advantage of upcomings nettops with touchscreens or all in one pcs.

I like the approach Microsoft has on computers, one special pack for one special computer.

You know, the touch screen has become quite successful for mobile devices. Also for kiosks and vending machines. But mobile devices and kiosks have very limited functionality.

On a PC for normal PC-type functions and applications? I'm not so sure. Think it would be too slow for most users.

And then there's the whole "fingerprints on the screen" which drives me nutz. ;)

How about gesture screen control. Not as good as thought control, but I could live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back