Microsoft to pull Forza Motorsport 7 from online stores after September 15

Humza

Staff member
In brief: With a successor still in development, Microsoft has announced that Forza Motorsport 7 and its DLC will soon be removed from sale on the MS Store and will also be unavailable through Xbox Game Pass. The game is currently discounted through September 15, after which only existing owners will be able to play/download the game, access multiplayer and other online services.

Initially marred by a frustrating loot box system, Forza Motorsport 7 came with a plethora of cars and tracks, and it remains one of the most gorgeous ‘simcade’ racers currently out there. For the racing/driving fans who still haven't given it a try nearly four years later, now’s a good time to do so, as the game will soon reach its ‘End of Life’ status.

In its official announcement, Microsoft notes that FM7 will also be removed from Xbox Game Pass, with a token system in place for players who bought DLC on the subscription-based gaming service. These tokens will be distributed through August 2 and will allow continued access to the game for XGP players. Those who don't receive a token will need to get in touch with Xbox Support.

2017 isn't exactly a long time ago, but it seems that licensing limitations on real-world cars and tracks are in play here, forcing an end to new game sales and creating a small gap where no new Forza Motorsport title will be available to buy digitally. Turn 10 Studios' next installment, simply called 'Forza Motorsport,' will likely arrive sometime in 2022 given this year's November 9 launch date for Playground Games' next open-world Forza.

Although Forza Motorsport 7 stubbornly remains a Microsoft Store exclusive to this day, unlike Forza Horizon 4 that hit Steam earlier this year, there is a rather tempting 75 percent discount on the MS Store with plenty of time left (until September 15) for players to get in the driving seat.

Permalink to story.

Brands remain fiercely protective of their image, especially globally recognised ones. Some much more so than others. The internet has done this. It does not take nearly as much to generate some kind of scandal because X employee said something.

One of the ways that games agree to use their rights is to have a finite time limit. Sometimes it covers multiple games over a set period, or specific games.

It also reassures the brands that if anything does change in the future where they wish to withdraw support for a company, product or whatever for any conceivable reason they know the association has a definite end date.

It's all about brand management, or more like having total paranoid control of it.

Ferrari in particular are insanely picky over the use of their intellectual property. Remember this is the company that sued DeadMau5 because he put a "Purrari" logo on his Ferrari and then tried to sell the car with it still on...

Last edited:
Forza motorsport is in my honest opion a huge bummer, Steering wheel support has never ever been that shitty before in any forza game. Even horizon felt more real. I think for the controller user it is a good arcade game, but you are going to denie that to them, I think it is GoT time .....

Shame ...... shame ...... shame ..... shame ...... shame ........

This is the future people. We’ve already come a long way. Remember when the Xbox One launched in 2013 and people were outraged that it needed an internet connection. Well now all consoles need an internet connection.

Personally I have no problem with it, I currently have boxes of old N64/ps1 and onwards etc games collecting dust that will inevitably end up in landfill. Games all have a life, whether it’s enforced by the retailer or not, people will stop playing theme

I really do think the concept of buying games on a digital store will die eventually. Games will be a service and that makes much more sense for both developers and players. Currently Xbox game pass is tremendous value, costing less than two full price games for a year of membership. And that’s without any decent competition. I wish it was around when I was a kid, saving up my paper round money just to buy one single new game with trade in.

This is the future people. We’ve already come a long way. Remember when the Xbox One launched in 2013 and people were outraged that it needed an internet connection. Well now all consoles need an internet connection.

Personally I have no problem with it, I currently have boxes of old N64/ps1 and onwards etc games collecting dust that will inevitably end up in landfill. Games all have a life, whether it’s enforced by the retailer or not, people will stop playing theme

I really do think the concept of buying games on a digital store will die eventually. Games will be a service and that makes much more sense for both developers and players. Currently Xbox game pass is tremendous value, costing less than two full price games for a year of membership. And that’s without any decent competition. I wish it was around when I was a kid, saving up my paper round money just to buy one single new game with trade in.

Licensing deals have been the same every since the first games that had such things in them in the 80s or 90s. It's nothing new. Very few actually had lifetime deals. You can still play the game if you bought it.

Back