Microsoft to unveil DirectX 12 at GDC

Scorpus

Staff member

Up until recently, the future of DirectX has been kept well wrapped by Microsoft, but this is set to change. Through a series of teasers on the DirectX blog and Twitter, Microsoft has confirmed that a new version of DirectX - DirectX 12 to be specific - will be unveiled at the Game Developer's Conference (GDC) on March 20, just two weeks from today.

The logos of Intel, Nvidia and AMD on Microsoft's teaser site suggest all three major graphics vendors have been collaborating with the company on the new API. Qualcomm is also listed, which may mean DirectX 12 will be supported by their GPUs in their upcoming ARM-based SoCs, although other ARM vendors (including ARM themselves) weren't shown.

Previously, sessions at GDC revealed a smidgen of information on what DirectX 12 will bring. It appears the updated API will get "even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware", expanding on what AMD has achieved with their low-level Mantle API. Developers also look like they'll be getting "an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead", which will help to squeeze every last drop of performance out of graphics hardware.

The last major update to DirectX came in 2009 alongside the launch of Windows 7, when DirectX 11 was launched. The current version, DirectX 11.2, is exclusive to Windows 8.1 and was launched in October of last year. Microsoft typically launches new versions of DirectX alongside major operating system upgrades, so we may see DirectX 12 included with Windows 9 some time in 2015.

To support DirectX 12, new GPU hardware will be required, just has been the case with previous versions of DirectX. It's interesting to note that the Xbox One supports up to DirectX 11.2, but may be quickly superseded at an API level with the launch of DirectX 12, as the existing hardware likely won't support the new API.

Permalink to story.

As I understand it, developers already have metal access on consoles right? I mean, if it already has this feature set why add this redundancy anyways?

This is an artificially created demand for upgrading hardware that Microsoft most likely has conspired with AMD and nVidia. Other than that, nobody really needs it, and most certainly not some "new" video cards to support the new standard.

The same reason why Microsoft decided against Windows 8.2 in favour of Windows 9, to be able to easily convince people of the "new" product.

I barely considered the Xbox one and PS4 as next gen consoles, they have yet to prove themselves as being anything more than slightly faster consoles we already had. Almost like a 1.5 gen, Direct X 12 should be the next gen benchmark at this point. However the term itself is losing meaning since the gap between the console and PC will never be close enough that a console could impress a PC gamer with anything more than a fancy controller. Then again the DX12 API has yet to be detailed so who knows how much better it really will be, not to mention the time it takes game developers to acclimate to the new API usually means we only see Benchmarks the first year and some half assed games. Perhaps this is why we have yet to see new chips from the likes of AMD and nVidia, they could be waiting for the final specification for DX 12 if it is just around the corner.

[quote=""Previously, sessions at GDC revealed a smidgen of information on what DirectX 12 will bring. It appears the updated API will get "even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware", expanding on what AMD has achieved with their low-level Mantle API. Developers also look like they'll be getting "an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead", which will help to squeeze every last drop of performance out of graphics hardware.[/quote]

They quite literally just copied what AMD said/wrote.... Microsoft at it again being late to the game... Also what game even utilizes the latest DX?

I guess this means I'll be replacing my GTX 770s sooner rather than later (it's a shame too since I really like the cards).
Why, if you are happy with them now? That likely will not change immediately after DX12 release.
This is an artificially created demand for upgrading hardware that Microsoft most likely has conspired with AMD and nVidia. Other than that, nobody really needs it, and most certainly not some "new" video cards to support the new standard.
(y)(y)(y)
I'm happy with DX11 on my GTS 450 and GTX 660. :)

Artificial or not, I'm not gonna upgrade solely on the version of DirectX.

If I ever do feel the need to upgrade, it will be after several game titles support DX12. And only then, it would need to be a major improvement in graphics capabilities.

I don't see why everyone is complaining. It's new stuff that makes the gaming industry better, but it doesn't hurt you if you don't feel like upgrading.

@treeski, not feeling like upgrading is not a complaint against innovation. The same thing is being stated about PC sales. If innovation is not needed, there may be fewer people choosing to move on. But their choice (not to move on) is in no way, a form of complaint. And neither is their voice of reason behind not moving on. As @VitalyT stated though, this does seem to be one of their methods of improving a sales pitch.

@treeski, not feeling like upgrading is not a complaint against innovation. The same thing is being stated about PC sales. If innovation is not needed, there may be fewer people choosing to move on. But their choice (not to move on) is in no way, a form of complaint. And neither is their voice of reason behind not moving on. As @VitalyT stated though, this does seem to be one of their methods of improving a sales pitch.

Well, maybe not complaining, but the sentiment seems more negative, where I'd expect it to be positive or at worst, neutral.

I'm excited about it. I want to see what it has to offer. There is still plenty of room for improvement and I want to know how big a step this is going to be.

What I am wondering is....if AMD is going to be supporting DirectX 12 then they probably already knew about this philosophy of getting closer to the 'metal' long before the general public probably did. And yet they already released an API of their own that does this. Why would they make such a dumb move. It almost sounds like DirectX 12 will make AMDs Mantle API obsolete in record time. Nobody is going to want to have to write code for two different APIs for their games.
I'm starting to view AMD as Mr. Bill. They just can't catch a break. They try and try and then a long tall bus comes along and squashes them.

I'm excited about it. I want to see what it has to offer. There is still plenty of room for improvement and I want to know how big a step this is going to be.
I'm assuming it'll be incremental but big enough to empty a lot of wallets. It's a mugs game (pun not intended).

Many if not most games use the new API that come out...

Their API is probably going to still be superior to the DX name is probably why they still released it. If you think about it, DX has a wider range of things it must do and it already works well enough as is so I doubt the improvements will be to big. But then again thats all speculation, but I believe theres a reason Mantle was still released more than just something for AMD to say they have. If you look at the major differences AMD Mantle brought in BF4 compared to DX11, I get a difference in average of 20-40FPS depending which is huge.

I can't wait to hear more information on this, though I find that a shocker that Microsoft would make their Xbox on an older version of DX instead of making it the new version and just keeping it supressed. Maybe theres more than meets the eye to this conference.

Last edited:
  • Xbox One second version
  • DirectX 12
I see them releasing an XBox dubbed "X12".
Why not XBOX ONE TWO?

They went from the first Xbox, to the 3rd Xbox (360), then back to the first Xbox (One). So they have to do a 2nd Xbox version! The "XBox X12" sounds like a rocket ship! Very nice suggestion. And the "XBox One Two" sound like a boxing move to punch out the competition. Excellent suggestion! But I propose the next to be the "Xbox 120!" (With the exclamation mark.) It's based on degrees on a compass like the Xbox 360, and it's almost like you're trying to do a skateboard trick. Like you were going forward, then made a slight over-correction and turned to the right. Since it makes no sense at all, I think it's perfect for Microsoft and the directions they've taken recently.

They went from the first Xbox, to the 3rd Xbox (360), then back to the first Xbox (One). So they have to do a 2nd Xbox version! The "XBox X12" sounds like a rocket ship! Very nice suggestion. And the "XBox One Two" sound like a boxing move to punch out the competition. Excellent suggestion! But I propose the next to be the "Xbox 120!" (With the exclamation mark.) It's based on degrees on a compass like the Xbox 360, and it's almost like you're trying to do a skateboard trick. Like you were going forward, then made a slight over-correction and turned to the right. Since it makes no sense at all, I think it's perfect for Microsoft and the directions they've taken recently.
Somehow I doubt we'll see MS (or Sony) releasing an upgraded Xbox (or PS4) anytime soon even after the release of DX12.

• Xbox One second version
  • DirectX 12
I see them releasing an XBox dubbed "X12".
Why not XBOX ONE TWO?

how about xbox 1b?
(Microsoft had directx 9.0c)

Somehow I doubt we'll see MS (or Sony) releasing an upgraded Xbox (or PS4) anytime soon even after the release of DX12.
Agreed, meaning DX11 will be the standard for a long time to come.
how about xbox 1b?
But "1B" is hex for 27. Hex for 12 would be "C".

Sorry for the bad humor,! When I saw 1b, I immediately thought about hex.

I know! Since there number scheme seems to be going backward. They can call the next XBox One/Twelve.

I honestly think that the consoles getting DX 12 would be unnecessary. In all honesty, consoles are consoles and no matter what (minus a few updates here and there over time) they don't change until a new gen console comes out. Developers know what they have access to and a different API would not improve anything (well at least not enough to make a fuss over) because the developers can already access the hardware to points beyond what they can on a PC. New API for PC gamers means we can get improvements on our PC games with improvements from the ground up however with a console you already have access to the ground levels of a machine because you already know whats there and know what you can work with.

Hence why Ancient hardware could still make games like GTA V for instance look good.

Modern video cards could easily do a firmware+software update to support updated versions of DirectX naturally. The only reason they do not do that is to maximize profit from selling negligible updates over and over again. The famous trio of Microsoft+ATI+nVidia have been doing it for years, and it has worked out well for them so far, sucking money from your pockets. It is difficult for a timid eye to see this through, because in that area they are a monopoly now, and sing the same song everywhere.

EDITED: B.T.W. I am an owner of nVidia GTX 780 which I purchased to keep for 4 years. Before that it was Radeon 5870 which I used for 4 years. Although I do buy premium systems, I do it only once in 4 years, to spend on true updates, versus minor ones.

Last edited:
Back