Microsoft touts benefits of DirectX 12 in new teaser video

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has published a teaser video showing some of the benefits of DirectX 12 on Windows 10 compared to its predecessor, DirectX 11.

The clip is jam packed with footage from several new and upcoming games including Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 6: Apex, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Ashes of the Singularity and Just Cause 3, just to name a few. In it, Microsoft promises up to a 20 percent increase in GPU performance and up to a 50 percent improvement in overall CPU usage with reduced latency and smoother framerates.

While on the subject, be sure to check out our recent feature in which we put DirectX 12's multi-GPU technology to the test by pairing GeForce and Radeon cards together. In a separate write-up, we compared DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 performance in Ashes of the Singularity.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

For the longest time, (some not all) developers just recycled and updated older gaming engines. And while thats still true, I believe DX12 will initiate another push for the high-end gaming industry to take the next step.
As of late (and finally if you ask me) newer games are kicking our GPU's butts and honestly its good to see. DX12 will help current DX12 capable cards run better, and I would like to see more optimization for 8-12 CPU cores as the industry moves forward.

Without watching the video first, I'm guessing those benefits are:

1. Push Windows 10 sales for gamers
2. bla-bla-bla
3. bla-bla-bla
10. this is where the real list starts
11. better performance.... maybe?
12. better energy saving....maybe?
13. better support for mixed graphic cards

2. bla-bla-bla
3. bla-bla-bla
Close, but I'm betting the real list is closer to
2. Overview of all the great DX12 features EXCLUSIVE to Windows 10
3. Windows 10 uptake PROVES both the excitement over DX12 AND Windows 10
4 - 50. All the things other OS's that don't have DX12 support are missing out on
51. DX12 features that could be a boon to gamers if developers can actually be bothered with the extra QA and implement them properly.
52. Disclaimer: Microsoft takes no responsibility for how developers including Microsoft Game Studios implement DirectX 12 features and are in no way liable for unintended issues including, but not limited to: System failure, graphical issues, installation and online issues, delays, and billing issues. See pages 1195-2707 in EULA for full details

* Full disclosure - I haven't watched the video either.

WTF microshit is doing, gears of war is an epic fail, DX12 is worse than the older api, I have Windows 10 because I fall in the DX12 marketing, but now I will return to the best of all operating system, Windows seven, gears of war is the pike of the iceberg, I have a lot of problems with Windows 10.

2. bla-bla-bla
3. bla-bla-bla
Close, but I'm betting the real list is closer to
2. Overview of all the great DX12 features EXCLUSIVE to Windows 10
3. Windows 10 uptake PROVES both the excitement over DX12 AND Windows 10
4 - 50. All the things other OS's that don't have DX12 support are missing out on
51. DX12 features that could be a boon to gamers if developers can actually be bothered with the extra QA and implement them properly.
52. Disclaimer: Microsoft takes no responsibility for how developers including Microsoft Game Studios implement DirectX 12 features and are in no way liable for unintended issues including, but not limited to: System failure, graphical issues, installation and online issues, delays, and billing issues. See pages 1195-2707 in EULA for full details

* Full disclosure - I haven't watched the video either.

Hahahaha! Window's 10's uptake proves it, eh? You lost any and all credibility right there. And even funnier you start quoting from the EULA!! Could you BE a bigger plant?

Hahahaha! Window's 10's uptake proves it, eh? You lost any and all credibility right there. And even funnier you start quoting from the EULA!! Could you BE a bigger plant?
96ff6f246b893f5ce5e95b01a70eb808b0cb5745b1bd71eb41673d2b48abd04a.jpg

Most people (of those that play games on steam) are on DX10 still. I don't see DX 12 being a big thing for years, and with Vulkan maybe never.

Either way WX is as big with gamers as 7 and is growing while 7 is shrinking.

If Gears of War is anything to go by, Microsoft is in for one rough ride. No one wants to upgrade to windows 10 and buy only from the windows store for a version of the game that is severely crippled and runs like a turd.

Even if you hate steam's DRM at least they add features and bonuses to the games. What does the windows store do? Microsoft has to be the most blatantly out of bounds company when it comes to their main revenue stream. They make allot of their money from windows and yet they haven't known what their users want since Bill Gates left.

I doubt anyone will switch OSs to play a game and I doubt that's the plan. There are already as many steam users running 10 as there are running 7 and 10 is increasing while 7 declines. I think they are just catering to their customers on their flagship platform.

"Microsoft touts benefits of DirectX 12 in new teaser video"

What a complete load of BS:-

- During 11-17s of the above video alone the main "difference" is that the DX11 version has deliberately washed out color and seemingly no shaders whatsoever, whilst the DX12 looks over-saturated. You can enhance / degrade your DX9-11 games now using SweetFX / other shader injector program with barely 5-10% performance impact.

-During 29-34s, it looks like they again turned ALL lighting shaders off for the DX11 (including simple Bloom used universally since DX9). Meanwhile the "better" DX12 doesn't actually look any better since it massively and unnaturally overdoes the "glowing fog" and "sunbeams" coming from low wattage indoor lighting. If anything the DX11 version is more realistic for actually being able to see beyond 12ft indoors and "cool white" lights not filling the room with a comically fake pink/brown "sunbeam fog"...

- During 34-37s, we read "reduced latency, smoother framerate, better performance". Then during 41-42s, we see a 20fps stutter of Deus Ex Mankind Divided complete with retarded "your head violently rotates from side to side when firing a light sub-machine-gun". No it doesn't. Recoil pushes you backwards, it doesn't "spin your head off your shoulders in alternating directions every other round". It's silly cr*p like this that actually has the reverse effect of saying to me "DX12 will still stutter and suffer from dumb games devs that stuff in every stupid exaggerated effect they can find like excessive camera shake / "waddling penguin with a gammy leg simulator" head bob, and you'll be looking to disable half these 'DX12 enhancements' immediately after installing"

Is it just me or does this look fake? I mean their comparisons look like current gen low settings vs. max settings. To me the "better" version looked like capabilities we already have.
All such "industry bullshots" are fake, DX12 no exception. The "comparison videos" are the worst of all with stuff like Anisotropic Filtering turned off on one but not the other when comparing anti-aliasing or as we've seen above, DX11 Shaders Off vs DX12 Shaders Beyond Maximum is a joke. Good games devs can do a lot with a little. Bad ones put out fake trailers (like above), hype-train "E3 bullshots", and aggressively pursue pre-orders combined with review embargos for a reason. Sometimes it's even backwards - the more resources you throw at some devs, the more it reveals the "competence gap" when they overstep what they can actually deliver on a given budget / time-constraint vs "their dream".

"DX12 will magically make games better" goes the hype-machine. No it won't. Better games devs & less "formulaic" obsessed publishers will make games better. Unfortunately they're quite a rare breed these days whether you're using DX11, DX12, OpenGL or full blown holodecks...

"Microsoft touts benefits of DirectX 12 in new teaser video"

What a complete load of BS:-

- During 11-17s of the above video alone the main "difference" is that the DX11 version has deliberately washed out color and seemingly no shaders whatsoever, whilst the DX12 looks over-saturated. You can enhance / degrade your DX9-11 games now using SweetFX / other shader injector program with barely 5-10% performance impact.

-During 29-34s, it looks like they again turned ALL lighting shaders off for the DX11 (including simple Bloom used universally since DX9). Meanwhile the "better" DX12 doesn't actually look any better since it massively and unnaturally overdoes the "glowing fog" and "sunbeams" coming from low wattage indoor lighting. If anything the DX11 version is more realistic for actually being able to see beyond 12ft indoors and "cool white" lights not filling the room with a comically fake pink/brown "sunbeam fog"...

- During 34-37s, we read "reduced latency, smoother framerate, better performance". Then during 41-42s, we see a 20fps stutter of Deus Ex Mankind Divided complete with retarded "your head violently rotates from side to side when firing a light sub-machine-gun". No it doesn't. Recoil pushes you backwards, it doesn't "spin your head off your shoulders in alternating directions every other round". It's silly cr*p like this that actually has the reverse effect of saying to me "DX12 will still stutter and suffer from dumb games devs that stuff in every stupid exaggerated effect they can find like excessive camera shake / "waddling penguin with a gammy leg simulator" head bob, and you'll be looking to disable half these 'DX12 enhancements' immediately after installing"

Is it just me or does this look fake? I mean their comparisons look like current gen low settings vs. max settings. To me the "better" version looked like capabilities we already have.
All such "industry bullshots" are fake, DX12 no exception. The "comparison videos" are the worst of all with stuff like Anisotropic Filtering turned off on one but not the other when comparing anti-aliasing or as we've seen above, DX11 Shaders Off vs DX12 Shaders Beyond Maximum is a joke. Good games devs can do a lot with a little. Bad ones put out fake trailers (like above), hype-train "E3 bullshots", and aggressively pursue pre-orders combined with review embargos for a reason. Sometimes it's even backwards - the more resources you throw at some devs, the more it reveals the "competence gap" when they overstep what they can actually deliver on a given budget / time-constraint vs "their dream".

"DX12 will magically make games better" goes the hype-machine. No it won't. Better games devs & less "formulaic" obsessed publishers will make games better. Unfortunately they're quite a rare breed these days whether you're using DX11, DX12, OpenGL or full blown holodecks...

Thank you. You pretty much nailed what I was getting at.

Is it just me or does this look fake? I mean their comparrisons look like current gen low settings vs. max settings. To me the "better" version looked like capabilities we already have.
The point is the efficiency. Pcs that could only run in low can now run high. Simular specs, better results...

Back