Microsoft updates OneNote for Windows, Android, iOS and the web

Gabe Carey

Microsoft announced big updates for OneNote across the supported iOS, Android, Windows, and OneNote Online (web) platforms. The company detailed specific refinements for each platform as follows.

iOS

On the iPhone and iPad, users are given a feature Windows has maintained for quite some time now: the ability to add audio recordings to your notes. For students who want to record class lectures for future reference or simply keep their audible memories safe alongside some abbreviated text notes, this is a convenient amendment to an already robust piece of software.

Additionally, if you're an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus owner, a 3D Touch shortcut has been added, allowing you to compose new notes more expeditiously.

Android

On Google's open source mobile OS, badges can now be used with OneNote, similar to the Facebook Messenger badge that invariably floats around your display while in use. After being launched from the notification area, the OneNote badge is instinctively launched, making it easier to use other apps while simultaneously taking notes. Badge support, Microsoft says, may take up to three weeks since the update is being distributed in waves.

Windows

With OneNote 2016, you can now embed into your notes virtually any video found on YouTube, Vimeo, or Office Mix. While initially limited, Microsoft promises more sources for video content will be added in time. As of now, video embedding is present in Office 365 Home and Personal, though it's set to hit OneNote Online, Windows 10, Mac, iOS, and Android within the next few months.

OneNote Online

In the OneNote Online client, you can finally attach files to your notes. This is useful for obvious reasons, as much of the info jotted down may be associated with a specific image or document.

Permalink to story.

More junk that I don't use or don't want - bad enough it infects my Windows 10 laptop now a potential threat on my other Tech. Hopefully like the FiloFax of the 1980's it will dwindle to the niche offering it should always have been

The first few version up through Office 10 were pretty good, but once they required all the documents to be stored on line on their servers, I lost interest. If they are so reluctant to allow the user to keep their notes private, why bother with the product? This idea that everyone should be an open book will only work when they enact laws that restrict the government, law enforcement and everyone else from being able to use your material against you in any number of different ways. George Orwell could certainly have a hayday updating "1984" to modern times!

I still don't know a single person or company that uses this thing. Still seems completely redundant to Outlook and much harder to use than it should be.

To be honest I don't care to find out what Onenote is. I've never even considered finding out what it is and don't intend too.

I still don't know a single person or company that uses this thing. Still seems completely redundant to Outlook and much harder to use than it should be.
To be honest I don't care to find out what Onenote is. I've never even considered finding out what it is and don't intend too.

Seriously? Redundant to Outlook? OneNote has nothing to do with e-mail. I use it daily. I mostly use it for taking notes for my on-line course work, but I also use it for keeping note of non-sensitive personal and work information such as: job interview notes, blood pressure from doctor visits (otherwise I wouldn't keep track), personal, meetings, logon ID's for basic services I don't use often (password protected notebook for that!) and various personal notes. And the great thing is I have almost always have access to it being that it's on my phone, online, on my PC and on my tablet.

People fear what they don't understand....fact.

OneNote is hands down the best MS product ever. I've been using it for two years now and love everything about it. Same notes on all my devices. Simple and super easy to use. It just works. I manage hundreds of projects with it, time management, concepts and notes for everything. I often ask myself how in the world did I managed projects before OneNote.

People love to just hate on MS, they get some kind of kick out of it. The negative comments I read here have no merit and are obviously ignorant to the tool.

The negative comments I read here have no merit
That comment just lost you your merit. If you want to use Onenote, go right ahead and use it. I don't need it and likely never will. That statement doesn't require your opinion of merit to be true. Not everyone has a taxing lifestyle and can't remember their schedule.

That comment just lost you your merit. If you want to use Onenote, go right ahead and use it. I don't need it and likely never will. That statement doesn't require your opinion of merit to be true. Not everyone has a taxing lifestyle and can't remember their schedule.

OneNote really has nothing to do with a "schedules" or "tasks" (a Calendar or Wundrlist is better for that), if you would be more open minded you might find out that it's actually very useful and powerful. Of course you would feel you don't find something convenient if you never bothered using it. OneNote is simply a "tool", no one NEEDS it....but you may surprise your self and find some great purposes for it.

But hey...no one's forcing you to. That being said, it's pretty obvious to see how you feel about the company by reading your signature and first comment.

Replying to comments about tools or articles that have nothing to do with you or your work earns you a troll tag. Congrats.

OneNote really has nothing to do with a "schedules" or "tasks" (a Calendar or Wundrlist is better for that), if you would be more open minded you might find out that it's actually very useful and powerful. Of course you would feel you don't find something convenient if you never bothered using it. OneNote is simply a "tool", no one NEEDS it....but you may surprise your self and find some great purposes for it.

But hey...no one's forcing you to. That being said, it's pretty obvious to see how you feel about the company by reading your signature and first comment.

True.

Replying to comments about tools or articles that have nothing to do with you or your work earns you a troll tag. Congrats.
I can not deny. Although if I ever see myself as trolling I will opt not to post. Thank you for showing me I need to leave this thread.

If you was smart you would realize MS is the troll for pushing Onenote as a forced feature in the OS. I wouldn't have been here otherwise. In other words if I don't want it I have to continually ignore it is there. So my trolling is a repercussion of MS dragging me into the conversation.

But then that doesn't matter now becuase I'm sure I will forget the next time Onenote topic comes around. And then I will feel compelled to comment about my hatred for wanting it removed from my operating system. That means removed not disabled or hidden.

Back