Microsoft wants iTunes on Windows 8, but Apple is reluctant

Dave LeClair

iTunes is available on Windows 8 like any other 'legacy' application in desktop mode, but Microsoft really wants to see a version built for their Modern-style "Metro" UI. In fact, Microsoft wants the app so bad that it went directly to Apple in an attempt to convince the company to make it happen. In an interview with CNN Money, Windows CFO Tami Reller said "the welcome mat has been laid out. It's not for lack of trying."

But Apple doesn't seem too excited to build a proper Windows 8 version of iTunes, and Reller says that users should not expect to see the app "any time soon."

If the "Metro" design sticks around in future versions of Windows, it seems likely that Apple would have to give in eventually and embrace the look and feel with its music software. But for the time being, they remain reluctant.

According to The Verge, iTunes is one of the most searched for apps in the Windows Store, which explains why Microsoft wants it so badly. With over 60,000 titles and big names like Twitter and Netflix already on board, not having a program that users are consistently searching for could become a thorn in Microsoft's side.

In many ways, Windows 8 is also competing in the tablet space, and as such, Reller believes that most popular iOS apps will be ported to the operating system in time for the holiday season. "That's not just our goal, but it'll be realistic to achieve that," Reller noted, adding that they're "almost there." Getting other iOS apps on Windows 8 is certainly a good thing for users, but iTunes is still the main target for Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

I know why Apple can't do it. It's too hard for them. Apple can't even build iTunes correctly for their own OS much less the regular Windows version. I would give my left arm for an alternative to iTunes that would work with my iDevice.

I know why Apple can't do it. It's too hard for them. Apple can't even build iTunes correctly for their own OS much less the regular Windows version. I would give my left arm for an alternative to iTunes that would work with my iDevice.

Or you could just use a Windows Phone.

I'm intrigued, what's your beef with iTunes?

No need for Apple to be in a rush. Windows RT is essentially DOA, having sold only 200,000 total units worldwide from all vendors in 1Q2013, and because all things Windows 8 can already run itunes, that means only those 200,000 devices can't run itunes. Hardly a market big enough for ANYONE to develop for.

I don't think this is news worthy. Apple needs "special" software to work...No other brand of phone or device is so picky (any that matter anyways) So who really cares....If your an Isheep go to desktop mode, no one likes metro anyways. I'm running windows 8 and the only time I'm in metro is right after boot... I do not even use the windows 8 aps...I use their desktop versions.

It's bloated. Plain and simple. Don't get me wrong. I think it has some excellent features, but it needs a "lightweight" version in addition. This is where a Metro App would be ideal, btw. iTunes is great for syncing up your hardware...but it's pretty top-heavy as a music player. I'd rather use VLC, Winamp, or even Windows Media Player in "minimized" mode while I'm working on the computer. ;)

Cheers!
-Ravik-

Solution = Dump the iDevice. Problem sorted.

iTune is great as it is. I dont need any metro junk. It took Apple way too long to get iTunes 11 out there. This will take another good 2-3 years.

Probably because it sucks so much. I have to manually add all of my songs several times a week because it randomly sends my library to the recycle bin. It also opens up too big where the scroll bars is outside of the viewing area. In fact, there are a lot of bugs with iTunes, as with most software.

Surely there are media players that can sync an ipod on windows?? Winamp, windows media player, surely...??? Pretty much every media player I have used on linux has ipod sync support..

iTunes, downgraded from 11 as it is just an utter failure. I should really replace it but I "love" it too much.

iTunes, downgraded from 11 as it is just an utter failure. I should really replace it but I "love" it too much.
I like it. It is really glitchy though. What do you expect though from someone developing for a competing OS? You shouldnt expect the best lol.

Exactly, it really annoyed me and I simply rolled back to previous version to enjoy the experience, after all there is no real benefits for music listening.

I use spotify for my music nowadays. I dont have a subscription so I cant listen on the go. I love it though when I am doing work.

A guest came through here one evening and said the iTunes is practically designed to hose a Windows computer with extra processes that aren't used or installed in the Mac OS.

OK, personally, I won't go near anything related to Apple. So, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to determine the veracity of the guest's statement.

It made a lot of sense to me, but I confess that I wanted him to be right, and didn't bother to look into it, since I would never install it in the first place.

Amazon used to allow the purchase of MP3 file, without any proprietary software installed, and it was a dream. Then I was dumb enough to order an "Amazon Instant Video", and all of a sudden, I had a bunch of crap running at startup, and immovable video, dripping with DRM. You can in fact, transfer these videos to one more computer, but then you have to install the same crap software, with the same crap results.

So,Redbox it is for me (*), along with purchased CD and DVDs or Blu-Ray.

If iTunes if it serves you well, by all means enjoy it.

(*) I understand that you are in the UK, and don't know the DVD rental landscape you have to deal with.

And here's another of these, "The server did not respond in time", magical double posts!:mad:
Lies, just another day post farming! :D

As someone has mentioned, Spotify is pretty much very solid product and at very manageable price as well. Once you get used to something, it is hard to move away from it (iTunes in my case).

I'd just like to mention I'm not standing up for iTunes, its been extremely buggy since version 11 came out.
It does add extra start-up items and Services for connecting to other Apple devices over the network, it also try's to make itself the default music player which I hate as well.

But if you install it and stop it from being the default player, have an apple tv and apple air speakers and a bunch of iPads / iPhones / iPod touches it works remarkably well, if you don't mind being in Apples Walled Garden that is.

Or at least I can sync and stream much easier than my friend who has Archos tablets, android smartphones, amazon kindles and Sony Walkman's all over the shop...

iTunes is CRAP. Look just how long it takes to start up. How slow it is to manipulate, and I HATE adding music to it because IT DOESN'T SUPPORT FLAC???!!!! WHY NOT! Gawd I hate iTunes so much

iTunes is CRAP. Look just how long it takes to start up. How slow it is to manipulate, and I HATE adding music to it because IT DOESN'T SUPPORT FLAC???!!!! WHY NOT! Gawd I hate iTunes so much

It really isn't that slow, I'm using a vertex 3 (limited by sata2), Q6600 and 6GB of DDR2 RAM, the hard drive that's storing all my music films etc... is a WD Black 640GB.

Even when the computer is first booted iTunes opens up within a few seconds but after being opened for the first time its pretty much instant?

The bugs though I've found is the search function not actually indexing all my music, that's annoying, the new default view is absolutely crap and slows down finding what you want rather than making it easier, its just more "minimalist" styling Apple have added for no reason what so ever. The window refuses to fit the full screen either until you unlock the task bar and move it and move it back, that bugs me a lot.
The Search actually can make it not respond for a second or so, I can let that off though since I have 16,578 sounds, 58 movies and 137 episodes of various TV programs plus all the apps and stuff.

But even with all those flaws (there are many others) I would never call it "slow", not compared to the issues I had with Windows Media player scanning 16,500+ songs.

1) itunes works better on apple os (runs like **** on windows) and sure anyone who has used both will agree.
2) there are alternatives to itunes (minus the app store)
3) you just made your self sound like an uninformed troll
have a good day.

Back