Microsoft: We have no plans to create a Zune phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neowin

On Tuesday references to a "Zune Phone" were found in the latest software for the Zune HD. Neowin questioned Microsoft over the findings but a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed the company has "no plans to create a Zune phone."

The spokesperson also stated that one day Zune could be "part of the phone experience," but added there had been no announcements by the software giant regarding how or if that would happen.

Read more at Neowin.net.

Permalink to story.

Thank goodness! They really need to focus on international sales and support of the Zune and its related services. They were here in Canada for gen. 2 without official marketplace support and then they 'backpedaled' on the Zune HD. Hardly enough time for people the realize a real iPod competitor.

I don't think music players have a future anymore... I mean why carry around a phone and an MP3 player when you can get a phone with decent storage and a built in player?

Was reading about this yesterday from istarted blog, was hoping for a phone! Oh well...I'm sure in the future they will release one.

slh28 said:
I don't think music players have a future anymore... I mean why carry around a phone and an MP3 player when you can get a phone with decent storage and a built in player?

Of course they don't, neither do casual cameras...it'll all in time be integrated, but at the moment imo it isn't perfect yet. We'll even be able to enjoy media and games I'm sure :D .

Microsoft is a competitor. They're in the phone business. They're in the MP3 player business. And there's a merging trend to bring these products together into the same platform. I know that they must be researching this future and they'll announce a product when they're ready to. So when I read that Microsoft has "no plans to create a Zune phone." I take that as for now, but we'll see in a few months what changes. They only sliver of doubt that I have is that Microsoft isn't big into the manufacturing business and that they need to rely on their partners to product the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back