Microsoft will roll out full-screen Windows 10 upgrade prompts to Windows 7 users in January

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Windows 7 faithfuls have known that the OS' lifespan is ending for some time now, and Microsoft has been gradually ramping up its efforts to get the users to upgrade to Windows 10. On January 15, that will mean Windows 7 users will be hit with even more irritating upgrade prompts.

Unlike most of these prompts to date, the new notification will take up your entire screen. It will warn you that your system is out of support, and you won't have access to any further security updates or software features; no matter how dire the situation may become. Fortunately, you'll be able to permanently or temporarily dismiss the message if you please.

We should note that, for a sizable chunk of Microsoft's long-term customers, Windows 7 is still the best operating system for their needs. It's powerful, familiar, not overly-streamlined, and -- perhaps most importantly for many -- it doesn't house nearly as many data collection or telemetry "features" as Windows 10.

For those reasons and more, it remains an incredibly popular OS for power users and privacy advocates who are unable or unwilling to make the jump to something like Linux.

Unfortunately, whether you still use and enjoy Windows 7 or not, as we've said, it's end-of-life date is quickly approaching. Official support from Microsoft stops on January 14, 2020, which is just a month away. Naturally, that doesn't mean you will be forced to stop using the OS after that day comes and goes, but it'll be much less secure if you do -- at least, that's what the tech giant claims.

We'd love to hear what our readers think on this topic. Do you still use Windows 7? If so, do you have any plans to swap over to Windows 10 when January 14 rolls around? Let us know in the comments.

Masthead credit: Friemann

Permalink to story.

"that doesn't mean you will be forced to stop using the OS"

I have been contacted by numerous people (I am the IT guy in the family) about having to upgrade and/or buy a new computer. They think Win7 will completely shut down.

What didn't microsoft say? That it will continue to keep working. This feels like a scare tactic just like their forced upgrade and deceitful spamming prompts in years past.

No, I will not downgrade to Win10. I would like to build a new rig, but I am not going to bow down to them. Unfortunately most of my games won't run in linux - even new ones. Newer ones won't run on Win7 either, so not only is MS losing money from me not buying their Win10-only game/software, but the hardware industry as well. Congratulations MS!

Just when you thought that Windows 10 upgrades could not get any more irritating...

I've got the best ever upgrade from Windows 10 here, and it's called uBuntu v18

The operating system will continue to run until the computer breaks. However, all update support will end, which means security updates will stop. Consumers typically won't care as much, but businesses will not have a choice. IT services won't continue to support you if you haven't updated to a platform that is no longer easily supportable (both Windows 7 and old Windows Server versions, which nobody really mentions).

I still have a handful of clients that have had systems designed around Windows 3.1 and would not upgrade, no matter what. With the biggest factor being they are not connected to the internet, their systems continue to operate without flaw day in and day out. Just look at how many automakers still design their internal data systems around the old Intel 8088 chip ... more than you think!

I wonder how many users out there understand that Microsoft has been one of the biggest companies to "condition" their users to expect, depend, and demand constant upgrades that serve very little, if any, benefit to the end user? One of these days, one of these days .....

I have been contacted by numerous people (I am the IT guy in the family) about having to upgrade and/or buy a new computer. They think Win7 will completely shut down.

What didn't microsoft say? That it will continue to keep working. This feels like a scare tactic just like their forced upgrade and deceitful spamming prompts in years past.

No, I will not downgrade to Win10. I would like to build a new rig, but I am not going to bow down to them. Unfortunately most of my games won't run in linux - even new ones. Newer ones won't run on Win7 either, so not only is MS losing money from me not buying their Win10-only game/software, but the hardware industry as well. Congratulations MS!

With very few exceptions Windows 7 will run just fine on brand new motherboards and CPUs despite Microsoft and Intel's FUD. This is especially true if all of your hardware is already a few years old. Actually, its a better OS if you have multiple hard drives or partitions..Windows 10 still has all sorts of inexcusable problems in this regard.

I have switched to win 8.1 as I could not bear win 10 background processes, and it works great as for Win 7 (Main pc), No I will never switch unless I have more control over Win 10 spams

I'm pretty sure you can still upgrade to W10 for free with W7 and W8 keys, or clean install using Media Creation Tool.

It is still a push to get you paying. Even if you can upgrade for free, that is not part of their sales pitch. It is no secrete they don't want anyone upgrading for free at this time. I'm certainly not going to bank on being able too.

I've had Windows update turned completely off on all my #7 PCs for years. I didn't get any notices from the first round of abuse from M$ to "upgrade" to 10, and I kind of doubt if I'll hear any sh!t from them on this go around.

Oh dear, I guess this means my XP machines are out of support as well. :eek: :laughing:

Last edited:
Been using Windows 10 the day after it came out. Have it on 7 of my computers now. Never have had an issues with it. Sure there's been a hiccup here and there just like anything but nothing major. Have installed it on many of computers . Just upgraded a client's laptop from Windows 7 to Window 10 last week, for free.
No I don't agree with everything Microsoft does, and I like Windows 7, but I like Windows 10 to.
I'll keep a PC with 7 on it just to have like I have with XP, but time to let go and move on. Each his own I guess.

With very few exceptions Windows 7 will run just fine on brand new motherboards and CPUs despite Microsoft and Intel's FUD. This is especially true if all of your hardware is already a few years old. Actually, its a better OS if you have multiple hard drives or partitions..Windows 10 still has all sorts of inexcusable problems in this regard....[ ]....
IDK if it's still true, but my Gigabyte Z170 board's EUFI BIOS had a function called, "USB 3.0 hand off", which allowed you to install Win 7 direct from DVD with absolutely no problem with stalling from lack of USB 3.0 drivers whatsoever.

After the OS was installed, Win 7 would find the 3.0 drivers, and you could set the BIOS to "hand off" or transfer control of the USB 3.0 ports to the OS.

Been using Windows 10 the day after it came out. Have it on 7 of my computers now. Never have had an issues with it. Sure there's been a hiccup here and there just like anything but nothing major. Have installed it on many of computers . Just upgraded a client's laptop from Windows 7 to Window 10 last week, for free.
No I don't agree with everything Microsoft does, and I like Windows 7, but I like Windows 10 to.
I'll keep a PC with 7 on it just to have like I have with XP, but time to let go and move on. Each his own I guess.
Welcome to Techspot.

With that out of the way, as you might guess we've had threads upon threads of the Windows 7 versus Windows 10 topic, for years now.

What is more often true than not, it is always the "rookies" who pronounce their undying love and admiration for Windows 10 most vigorously and aggressively.

Sometimes I ponder the source and sincerity of these proclamations. But that's just the way I think. I'm an "each his own" kinda guy.

Security update is very important and more important than compatibility. I had bad experience of not installing latest security patch. so, it's better to upgrade from windows 7

Forgive us if we don't believe you. We may need a bit more convincing.
I was desktop admin in 2004 during windows malware season. the antivirus was up to date, but because the latest windows patch wasn't installed, the sasser worm still managed to force reboot hundreds of computers.

most hacking attacks were based on situation that many computers were not patches.
wannacry, heart bleed, shell shock hacking attacks wouldn't happen if admin keep their systems patched up to the latest.

I've had Windows update turned completely off on all my #7 PCs for years. I didn't get any notices from the first round of abuse from M$ to "upgrade" to 10, and I kind of doubt if I'll hear any sh!t from them on this go around.

Oh dear, I guess this means my XP machines are out of support as well. :eek: :laughing:
Same here. Updates are off for so many years and I don't have any antivirus installed. And yes, I do backups of important data.

Welcome to Techspot.

With that out of the way, as you might guess we've had threads upon threads of the Windows 7 versus Windows 10 topic, for years now.

What is more often true than not, it is always the "rookies" who pronounce their undying love and admiration for Windows 10 most vigorously and aggressively.

Sometimes I ponder the source and sincerity of these proclamations. But that's just the way I think. I'm an "each his own" kinda guy.
I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Your saying since I'm new, I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm being aggressive in my comment. And with undying love?

I'm surprised they allow such rudeness on your part in the forum.

Perhaps the "addict" should punder this.
Stop living in self.
"The greatest enemies of us are resentment, jealousy, envy, frustration, and fear".

I have switched to win 8.1 as I could not bear win 10 background processes, and it works great as for Win 7 (Main pc), No I will never switch unless I have more control over Win 10 spams
I also choose windows 8.1 over 10 bit because my haswell laptop doesn't work well with windows 10. using bluetooth or even waking up from standby crashed the system.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Your saying since I'm new, I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm being aggressive in my comment. And with undying love?
I've drawn the (admittedly perhaps incorrect conclusion), that some of the newcomers gushing over Win 10, could be M$ shills.

A conclusion which is really not hard to arrive at, when you see a roll call of veteran members trashing the product.

How so? A topic without counterpoint is dead in the water. You appear to be overly sensitive. I have absolutely no intention of baking you a cake for joining

Perhaps the "addict" should punder this.
You can't even spell "ponder", please spare us the philosophy lesson.
Stop living in self.
"The greatest enemies of us are resentment, jealousy, envy, frustration, and fear".
I haven't really observed any quality in you that would warrant, " jealousy, envy, frustration, and fear".

And as far as being an "addict", that's a title I embrace. Keep in mind I can dole out a whole lot more relevant content, than if I was trying to pass myself off as an "ambassador".

A final thought, As for this:
One post doesn't give you any say in how things should be done here.

Conversely, I could opine, "you're really presumptuous to think that you have that privilege".

But I won't, since you're the new guy. I'll just say "Welcome to Techspot". (and let the chips fall where they may :laughing: ).

3.14 rates about, just switch off all 'updates' and use a decently supported browser and AV!!

MS will have people switch to Windows 10 eventually, even biggest Windows 7 advocates will have to buy a new PC sometime.

MS will have people switch to Windows 10 eventually, even biggest Windows 7 advocates will have to buy a new PC sometime.
Much obliged.... ;) ...

5e41UcE2_400x400.png

Back