Microsoft's $2.5 billion acquisition of Mojang suddenly looks like a great investment

Shawn Knight

Staff member
microsoft launching portal teachers minecraft classroom gaming education mojang virtual reality augmented reality hololens microsoft hololens

When Microsoft purchased Minecraft creator Mojang for $2.5 billion late last year, many questioned whether the Redmond-based company overpaid. Those perplexed by the acquisition were assuming that Microsoft would simply rely on a sequel to recoup most of its investment.

While a sequel is almost certainly in the cards, we now know Microsoft had much bigger plans for Minecraft.

The popular sandbox building game has been prominently featured in Microsoft’s public HoloLens demonstrations and could very well be the killer app when the augmented reality headset comes to market. And now, Microsoft is positioning its franchise for success in yet another industry: education.

microsoft launching portal teachers minecraft classroom gaming education mojang virtual reality augmented reality hololens microsoft hololens

The root experience of Minecraft involves creating, exploring, mining and managing resources. Mojang discovered early on that these traits can also serve as a powerful teaching tool.

Shortly after its launch, some forward-thinking teachers started bringing the game into their classrooms and using it to design history lessons, explore mathematics, physics, computer science, writing and more.

Elementary students in Seattle, for example, are using Minecraft to calculate area, volume and perimeter as part of a Saturday math program. In Los Angeles, middle schoolers are using Minecraft in their humanities class to learn about world religions by visiting local sacred sites and researching international locations then building them in the game.

Educators also noticed that students were solving complex problems through collaboration and learning about leadership and digital citizenship.

To further the initiative, Microsoft has launched a new portal designed to give educators a forum to share their ideas and receive inspiration. The site isn’t fully operational just yet but the trailer above gives you a pretty good idea of the direction Microsoft is heading.

In less than a year, Microsoft has taken Minecraft and injected it into two additional industries. Education is already a proven moneymaker and if predictions prove accurate, augmented / virtual reality will be the next big thing in technology. Combined with the revenue it’s already making from game and merchandise sales and an inevitable sequel, Microsoft’s $2.5 billion acquisition looks vastly different than it did last September.

Permalink to story.

It still seems unlikely, but Teachers are finding ways to use Minecraft as the medium for Education. There is even a notable turn-up of students and fewer absences when Minecraft is in the classroom.

I'm still waiting for a version to pop up in the online Microsoft Store that works on the Surface RT. But I doubt that will happen...

I'm waiting for greedy M$ to ruin Minecraft and make you pay for mods, or patches or something. If they don't I'll gain respect, I currently have none for them.

I'm waiting for greedy M$ to ruin Minecraft and make you pay for mods, or patches or something. If they don't I'll gain respect, I currently have none for them.

Wow, you "M$" haters really don't give up do you? There are some things I hate or dislike about MS and some things I like or love about MS.

"...digital citizenship."

what...?? Shawn, you're killing me here!

Here is my opinion. Minecraft can only be made better. Currently there is nothing to ruin.

Are you serious? I mean, if it's not your thing then it's just not your thing. As far as "nothing to ruin" goes, it seems like you're saying the game is sub-par. Obviously there's substantial evidence with the millions of copies sold that you're off the mark there.

Or I completely misunderstood your intentions, and if that's the case I say sorry and good day sir.

If u created minecraft yourself & Microsoft paid u 2500 million US dollars, I doubt u or anyone would call it a failure. Its a hit, not to me as I don't like the game but a hit nevertherless.

Back