Microsoft's Surface ranks highest in latest J.D. Power tablet satisfaction survey

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has ranked highest in overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Survey, edging out Apple and other manufacturers to finish in the top spot for the first time ever.

The Redmond-based technology company tallied an overall satisfaction score of 855 out of a possible 1,000 points.

Owners ranked Microsoft’s Surface the highest in three categories: Internet connectivity, variety of pre-loaded applications (is this a good thing?) and availability of manufacturer-supported accessories.

J.D. Power says Microsoft also scored top marks in the amount of internal storage available and the variety of input / output connectivity and has the highest performance in three styling & design attributes: quality of materials used, size of tablet and attractiveness of tablet design.

The firm notes that Microsoft has done an admirable job of attracting early adopters of technology with 51 percent of customers saying they are among the first of their friends / colleagues to try new tech products.

Some would argue whether or not Microsoft’s Surface is actually a tablet or more of a laptop but I suppose that’s an argument for another time.

Apple finished in second place with an overall satisfaction score of 849 followed closely by Samsung at 847. LG and Amazon rounded out the top five with scores of 836 and 834, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Perhaps M$'s bribe to J.D. Power was bigger than both that of Apple and Samsung. A lot of people seem to have high regard for Lenovo's stuff but I fail to see their name make the list. Maybe they never heard about this survey in time and were late to the party or maybe J.D. Power just said to them "You call that a bribe, can't you be a bit more persuasive?".
Anyway, not being a tablet user myself, I'll just believe what they say.

Last edited:
Sure the concept and hardware is awesome...

Let's see a reliability survey. From my unfortunate experience I'm betting the numbers will be considerably lower.

Let's see a reliability survey. From my unfortunate experience I'm betting the numbers will be considerably lower.

Are you trying to say the Surface is not reliable? I have a Surface RT still going strong, although it just sits on the counter for weather & recipe purposes these days. I also have a Surface Pro 4 that I use daily.

Perhaps M$'s bribe to J.D. Power was bigger than both that of Apple and Samsung. A lot of people seem to have high regard for Lenovo's stuff but I fail to see their name make the list. Maybe they never heard about this survey in time and were late to the party or maybe J.D. Power just said to them "You call that a bribe, can't you be a bit more persuasive?".

Maybe that's because people trust Lenovo considerably less after the "Superfish" debacle.

id have to agree.
I have a surface 3 that had to be sent in for warranty twice. FOrtunately their warranty handling service is absolutely brilliant but the fact that I had to do it was frustrating.

The first time was hundreds of permanently stuck pixels, the second was the device was actually somehow warping. I hope that if they release a non-pro surface 5, they work on the design a bit...the "beveled" back edges are more annoying than anything

The only reason I keep it is that its so useful. full windows on a tablet with a digitizer for notes/drawing and a good screen for media consumption is so rare.

Maybe that's because people trust Lenovo considerably less after the "Superfish" debacle.
Perhaps, but not very likely. It's mainly just the tech crowd who knew about it or even remembers it since that happened a while back. Human memory tends to be very short term. The average user probably wasn't even aware of it at all, ever, and it's still used today by all manufacturers but the current versions of it are far better integrated and far less conspicuous.

All this really tells us is that Microsoft fanboys (the only people who own Surface) are even more zealous than Apple evangelists.

Why would they be on the list? Lenovo is known for it's computers not tablets. This is a Tablet survey after all. Most of their tablets are crap just like the rest. Only Apple and Samsung are even considered these days.

The Surface or Surface Pro are in fact tablets with the power of a computer. Just because the Surface 3 and Pro editions have Windows on them doesn't make them a full fledged computer, cause they are not.

The Surface Book however is a full fledged computer that can be a tablet.

There will even be newer models coming later this summer, Surface Pro 5 and the Surface Book 2.

Why would they be on the list? Lenovo is known for it's computers not tablets. This is a Tablet survey after all. Most of their tablets are crap just like the rest. Only Apple and Samsung are even considered these days.
I dunno about that so much. Yes, Apple is the tablet king but if you take a gander at other surveys, Lenovo is right up there with the best of them. Anyway, I never put much stock in surveys, I think a lot of results are just thumb sucked.

I recently bought an AT&T Surface 3 which features Both WiFi and LTE connectivity. There weren't many left in stock when I bought mine so I got the ARM 64 GB model. I promptly added an SD card and loaded Nuance Naturally Speaking, Chrome browser and Office 365.I am a very happy camper.I actually went out the following day to order a new Surface Pro 4 but was shocked to find that the new model did not have LTE connectivity. I'll stick with the one I have until Microsoft gets smart enough to put full connectivity back in the new models.
I just loaded the new versionof Windows 10 last night and everything seems to be working a little better.

I recently bought an AT&T Surface 3 which features Both WiFi and LTE connectivity. There weren't many left in stock when I bought mine so I got the ARM 64 GB model. I promptly added an SD card and loaded Nuance Naturally Speaking, Chrome browser and Office 365.I am a very happy camper.I actually went out the following day to order a new Surface Pro 4 but was shocked to find that the new model did not have LTE connectivity. I'll stick with the one I have until Microsoft gets smart enough to put full connectivity back in the new models.
I just loaded the new versionof Windows 10 last night and everything seems to be working a little better.
LTE will only be on the Surface 3, it was the last Surface to get it. From what I have dealt with and heard, LTE is dead on the Surface. Meaning it likely wont ever come back to any new model. Overall those model didn't sell well, mainly cause they were/would be expensive.

Are you trying to say the Surface is not reliable? I have a Surface RT still going strong, although it just sits on the counter for weather & recipe purposes these days. I also have a Surface Pro 4 that I use daily.
I said my experience hasn't been good. I'm glad to see your RT found a good home though... that is about all the ARM version of Windows is good for. Honestly, I'd of just bought an iPad and been done with it.

Back