Missing app icons for microsoft apps

MichaelKnight

Windows 10, typing "store" or "xbox" into the windows task bar search will suggest apps I have installed. But some apps don't have icons anymore, just blank place holder "paper sheets".

This happens only with some microsoft apps like xbox game bar and even the microsoft store itself.

In the start menue the app icons are shown. I updated windows 10 and the apps themselves multiple times in the last months. But the icons won't show up.

screenshot-20220826-004-18_22_12.png

I googled it and checked the microsoft forums but I couldnt find a solution that works for me.

I find computers will do strange things when a piece of hardware is defective. I had a guy's system in my shop that I built 5 years ago with a nice Ryzen 1700 CPU and it was acting up as you described. The search bar was hit and miss and it hiccuped and sputtered. I just didn't know why this machine booted fine but it certainly didn't work well. On a hunch, I took out the PSU and installed and new one, and everything cleared right up. I did this a year ago, so I think I nailed the problem. My PSU tester would have never caught this since it only shows me the voltage of the PSU and it can't show me how it is behaving under load.

I'm not saying your problem is a PSU but you really have to consider something hardware in your machine is acting up. Another way to diagnose this is to just back up all your data and try a fresh install of the OS.

I find computers will do strange things when a piece of hardware is defective. I had a guy's system in my shop that I built 5 years ago with a nice Ryzen 1700 CPU and it was acting up as you described. The search bar was hit and miss and it hiccuped and sputtered. I just didn't know why this machine booted fine but it certainly didn't work well. On a hunch, I took out the PSU and installed and new one, and everything cleared right up. I did this a year ago, so I think I nailed the problem. My PSU tester would have never caught this since it only shows me the voltage of the PSU and it can't show me how it is behaving under load.

I'm not saying your problem is a PSU but you really have to consider something hardware in your machine is acting up. Another way to diagnose this is to just back up all your data and try a fresh install of the OS.
yeah I fear I will try the re-installation one day. but I am scared that some mods are not working anymore then. thanks anyways ;)

Back