Missing hard drive

Hi, My computer has 320 gb hd., I add/installed new 1tb hard disk, and it's working normally, i save all downloaded movies and music in that hd. until the problem came, the icon suddenly disappeared, i looked in the disk management and it's not there, i reboot to see if it will detected but still no luck..i removed the connection of that 1tb hd, but the system did not boot up.. what could be the possible reason and solution for this problem...

thank you very much...

The hard drive could have failed suddenly (It happens, but rarely), or a loosely inserted cable came loose. Cables are notorious for failure as they age and components shrink in dry air or heat. Then it can be an infestation, or Windows error... or heat related issues.
It could also be a failing power supply where one section continues to work, causing the fan to blow air, but the power to the drive or board is dead in some way.
First test would be to unplug and reseat all cables. Then trying another drive.

ray bay, thanks for your reply, i replaced both SATA and power cable, but still same problem, i think you are right that its a hard disk failure,, i checked it again in the device manager and i look for hardware changes (under disk drives) and gives me BSOD..."stop 0x0000007F".. i will try to install it on other pc and i will let you know the result.. thanks. i forgot to mention, the first time it happened, i use system restore and it works, but the second time it failed....

PSU could be going on you or it can't handle the drive. Or HDD controller could be going also. If you change out the PSU and replace it with another one and the issue is gone. Then you know it was the PSU. If it doesn't then it's the HDD controller issue.

no, it's not shown in the BIOS, and i dont think its the power supply issue, because i used the power and SATA cable of the other HD, still not detected, is there a chance to repair and be able to use it again? thank you all for your help....really appreciate it..

See if it is detected in a friend's computer. If it works there, replace your cables and test again.
If not working, get it replaced under warranty. You didn't mention the manufacturer, but some will actually send you a new drive before the old one arrives at their depot.
What is the brand, model, and date code from the front of the drive?

The brand is western digital, WD Caviar Green, 1.0TB
S/N:WCAV55820709
Model : WD10EARs-00Y5B1
WWN:50014EE2A79A8DO
DATE:018 DEC 2009
DCM: DARYNT2MBB
DCX:2010Y5450
Thank you very much ray for your help, i bought this in one of the shops here in Saudi Arabia, where should i get the replacement? should i bring it back to the shop where i bought it? really sorry for disturbing you guys, i'm really new to this...

You should take it back to the store from where you bought it preferably with 'original receipt'. They may or may not give you a replacement HDD immediately.

The Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives have been their most unreliable of the past two years... and the replacement should be easy...
But usually, you have to contact Western Digital on their website, and give them the ID information from the label. We have had Western Digital replace the drive before they received the bad drive back, then await your defective drive's arrival. I don't have a guess at what your shipping charges would be to a Western Digital center, but there must be some in your part of the world.
If you have a reputable store recognized by Western Digital as an approved resaler, they should be able to exchange it... with receipt.
But the first thing they will do is plug it into their computer and see if it detects the drive, so be sure you have tested in in another computer before you waste the effort.

ok, thank you very much, i'd tested it on a friend's computer and it's not detected there also, i have the receipt and i will bring it to the shop where i bought it...please advice me of what brand is best in case i want to buy another HDD..

Seagate and WD are top brands, one failed device doesn't mean they made bad products. I'd suggest you to consider by WD Black Series HDD

You had a Western Digital Green? Right?
Just switch to the Western Digital Black... just a few pennies more...
We are very happy with Western Digital Black, Seagate, Samsung, Fujitsu, and Toshiba.

Avoid TriGem, Hitachi, Maxtor, Western Digital Green, and the very large drives over 750 GB by any manufacturer... as they are trouble whether Western Digital or Seagate or Samsung or anybody else.

The problem with the Western Digital green is that they tried to make one that used little power and saved the environmen... and their engineering or manufacturing was off... resulting in about 17 to 21 percent failure rate. You just had bad luck.

thank you guys for your help, i've receive the replacement for my defective HDD, i installed it and it is detected, i want to know which is better, make the hd as Basic disk or a DYNAMIC...i can't remember which i chose before...

Back