MMO Gaming Build for £1200

XenonsSpork

Hi guys, I'm hoping I could get some advice on a new build I'm doing soon. It will primarily focus on MMOs and Wildstar and WoW absolutely must work on it (although it should beast through them). Would be nice if other stuff did too though :D please point out any incompatibilities or things you would do differently :) Thanks in advance!

Specs here:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, XFIRE/SLI

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Seidon 120M High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

A better ssd, use an air cooler like Noctua D14 or 15, phanteks,stronger psu for future sli or crossfire 750 or 850,something like a 450mbp dual band for wireless or something in the ac wireless class, 8gigs would serve you well but 16 is nice to have. Last but not least I7 for just gaming is really just paying far to much for just gaming. One of the newer I5s would serve just aswell and save you a dollar. While the build would run okay, Its price to performance is grossly off. You are building a overclocker that cant overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Freaksamcker/saved/BTwkcf As far as ram wise, the fastest ram within your budget.( 8gigs) Make sure the air cooler will fit in your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd drop down to an 4690k, drop the AIO cooler, the corsair RM series, and put that $200+ saved into a better graphics card.

So you think if I got the i5-4690k + a GTX 780 would be more worth it than what I posted? Faster SSD is a good shout, others have suggested this too. Cheers for the help guys

So you think if I got the i5-4690k + a GTX 780 would be more worth it than what I posted? Faster SSD is a good shout, others have suggested this too. Cheers for the help guys
Yes, much better. Maybe go as far as getting a non k version of your cpu. The mb vrm coolers dont look to be the most robust.

Well I'd like to keep the i7-4790k as in about half a year I'm going to be using Pro Tools which is pretty intensive on the CPU.

An i7 and GTX-770(or AMD equivalent) is a solid pick for a machine, gaming or non-gaming. I'm fairly certain if you needed more power, you would know without needing to ask.

Hi guys, I'm hoping I could get some advice on a new build I'm doing soon. It will primarily focus on MMOs and Wildstar and WoW absolutely must work on it (although it should beast through them). Would be nice if other stuff did too though :D please point out any incompatibilities or things you would do differently :) Thanks in advance!

Specs here:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)

Motherboard

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

USB Options

Operating System
World of Warcraft is not too intensive a game and should work just fine whether you get the i7 or i5. Most of the people I know who play it have different versions of the i5 processor running it right now. As for Wildstar though I have not experimented much with it yet other than noticing my friends GTX 550ti is not enough to drive it on a 1080p monitor full maxed out (But then again its ancient). Your build should suffice for the MMO world and since you seem to need the powerful CPU, stick with the i7.

If your planning on overclocking, you can just stick with air if you do not want to mess with a liquid cooler on these chips. A hyper212 is cheap and will push it to the max with excellent temps. But thats up to you in the end just is a way to save a couple of bucks.

I do not think you need that high speed of ram or that much for that matter. You could just get DDR3 1866 8gb in a 2x4gb config which is sufficient for most tasks in this day and age and add more later. You could then put some of the savings to a bigger SSD which would be better in the long run for installing games and programs to it.

Lastly I see you want wifi, why not just buy a board with wifi built in and save yourself a slot.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Z97-PR...&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+Z97+wifi#productDetails

Just food for thought.

Lastly I see you want wifi, why not just buy a board with wifi built in and save yourself a slot.
As an additional note WiFi is not integrated in the motherboard. WiFi is an additional component that can be replaced if it goes faulty. As GhostRyder said, if you need the standard card slots available for other things this is definitely an option.

Think I'm going for the 780 but keeping the i7 in the end too :p Pretty much all the time my desktop will be wired to the router, the wifi card is only there when there are problems with that (I move around a lot) so if I have to take it out of the PCI slot it's not a massive deal

Think I'm going for the 780 but keeping the i7 in the end too :p Pretty much all the time my desktop will be wired to the router, the wifi card is only there when there are problems with that (I move around a lot) so if I have to take it out of the PCI slot it's not a massive deal
Its more of just a preference for me at least. With built in Wifi modules in a motherboard it just makes things simple because they normally do not take up much room and when you do not want to use it just have to unscrew the antenna connectors. I just like them better than the usual PCI/PCIE wifi adapter because its one less thing to worry about when moving a machine around (Not that they are heavy adapaters, its just one less thing to worry about in general) and it just takes up less space/gives you an extra expansion slot for something else depending on how your motherboard is setup (PCIE slot configs I mean).

Also I do not think you would need a 780 for your build, but if you can fit it in go for it! But if your strapped on cash, you should be happy with a GTX 770.

Final build is this:

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
USB Options
Operating System

Didn't see that last one before I just posted - I'm not too bothered about the wireless card, it's a pretty cheapo one and as long as it works for testing I don't mind, it can also be replaced easily too :) I want a future-proof machine (or as much as you can) so I've gone for the 780. Hopefully this should beast through anything and I can add some more RAM when my money reserves have refilled :p Overall costing me £1290

Didn't see that last one before I just posted - I'm not too bothered about the wireless card, it's a pretty cheapo one and as long as it works for testing I don't mind, it can also be replaced easily too :) I want a future-proof machine (or as much as you can) so I've gone for the 780. Hopefully this should beast through anything and I can add some more RAM when my money reserves have refilled :p Overall costing me £1290
I would at least just get a kit with 2x4gb sticks instead of a kit with 1x8gb. Dual channel memory has significant more performance than a single channel does

I don't know where your ordering from, but these are on sale for a pretty good price right now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-Rip...UTF8&qid=1404235104&sr=8-3&keywords=DDR3+1866

If you plan to upgrade to 16gb, I think I would stay with the single 8gb temporarily. Throughput is technically half but it's not really a big deal.

IMO could do a lot better for the PSU and the cooler.

Hyper 212 is okay, Thermalright true spirit 140 or true spirit 140 power is really good and should't cost more than $~50. I've seen the Noctua U14s for $65.

As for the power supply, I've seen the XFX TS 550w go for only $26 after MIR which is really great. Seasonic G 550w, Rosewill Captone/M 550w, NZXT Hale82, Cooler Master V550, Seasonic M12II are all good, just look for the right deals. I've seen most of these go for around the $50 price range or less.

Last edited:
Well the RAM upgrade will be in about 2 and a half months when I go back to uni and have money again so I won't be waiting for ages. My price range started at £1200 and it's already at £1290 so I don't really want to spend any more. Parts seem to be more expensive in the UK too.

Well the RAM upgrade will be in about 2 and a half months when I go back to uni and have money again so I won't be waiting for ages. My price range started at £1200 and it's already at £1290 so I don't really want to spend any more. Parts seem to be more expensive in the UK too.
How much does the current ram stick you have picked cost and what site are you looking at?

MMOs arent really that demanding. A 780 is MORE than enough. I would avoid Kingston SSDs personally. Get something like a Samsung 840 Pro or 840 EVO, or even their new 850 Pro. Also, I recommend toning the RAM down from 2133MHz to 1600MHz. It will save you some cash.

People are suggesting toning the RAM down from 16GB to 8GB. I would agree, but it matters what games you are playing. 8GB is the least you would want but 16GB would be future proof.

I have ordered what I posted in the last one now but I went for 2 x 8GB RAM sticks at 1600MHz :) Thanks for all the help!

Back