Modder builds AMD-powered gaming PC inside an old GameCube

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Sleeper PC builds – those packing serious power in an otherwise unassuming chassis – are among my favorite. These projects often involve some creative thinking in order to get modern hardware to physically fit. Such was the case with another type of build I recently stumbled upon – repurposing old hardware for a completely different use.

YouTuber Tech By Matt a short while ago set about building a competent gaming PC inside of an old GameCube chassis. After picking up a broken console on eBay, he disassembled the system to have a look inside.

With a blank slate to work with (albeit with some serious real estate restrictions), Matt picked up an ASRock DeskMini A300 system and stripped it of its motherboard, power supply and a few other accessories.

From there, he had to make a custom motherboard tray which meant trimming out a lot of the GameCube’s internal mounting points and fabricating a plate out of sheet aluminum.

One of the more challenging aspects of the build was figuring out how to make the front controller ports on the console functional with the PC. Matt also wanted to add an optical drive but decided to skip this step as it simply would have been too difficult considering the system uses proprietary optical discs that are smaller than standard CDs.

Full system specs are as follows:

• AMD Ryzen 3 3200G processor
  • ASRock A300M-STX motherboard
  • Crucial DDR4 – 3200 SODIMM 8GB x 2 RAM
  • OCZ RVD400 512GB NVMe SSD
  • 50mm cooling fan

The good news here is that there wasn’t a ton of customization needed for this build meaning most average techies should be able to pull off a similar creation without too much effort or skill needed.

Masthead credit: Gary L Hider

Permalink to story.

What a great project! I liked the amount of detail he went through in the video (enjoyed the monotonic narration somewhat less...).

I'm keeping an old gen one PS3 around to have little fun with...was going to make a cooler out of it, not sure yet.

What a horrible hack job!

I was cringing at the way he butchered the Gamecube case, no finesse, no real planning...truly horrible way to work.

If you're gonna do this sort of thing, at least put some effort in to it.

What a horrible hack job!

I was cringing at the way he butchered the Gamecube case, no finesse, no real planning...truly horrible way to work.

If you're gonna do this sort of thing, at least put some effort in to it.

Remember, when modding your game cube:
2.jpg
know when to stop.
1.jpg

Back