Modem resets itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

WooDChiP

I have had a Motorola SB4100 cable modem from comcast for several years and recently it would "reset" itself and disconnect me from the internet for anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The modem would act as if you just unplugged it and would start up again, this is happening many times each day. Could it be a problem with the modem? Comcast? Maybe the coaxial cables or splitter?
any responses appreciated

Cable modems can be troublesome with age, but you should first ask the ComCast techs to look downline to see if everything appears to be working ok. They can run a series of tests to see if anything suspicious is happening.
Infestations, drivers, Microsoft Updates, can also cause these symptoms. As can dirty CPU fans, worn out CPU fans, worn out power supplies (always my first suspicion), and other hardware.
Sometimes all it takes is a cable replacement. Humidity? Cables shrink and become brittle at the connector points as they age.
Usually a cable modem replacement does not fix the problem.

i have motorola sb5120 cable modem. has started giving me problems after only 2 years use. i have to unplug it then plug back in a few times to get it to connect with internet. happens rarely but is a pain.

maybe motorola should be avoided. maybe time to try wireless

I got a new modem today from my isp, and all is good so far... looks like replacing the modem did the trick after all..

i forgot to mention that the modem i was using was 5ish years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back