MOG streaming music service is now officially dead

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Less than two years after it was acquired by Beats electronics, MOG has officially shut down. The streaming music service, which was earlier scheduled to be discontinued on April 15, now encourages users to sign up for Beats Music.

MOG was founded in 2005 by former Gracenote CEO and ex MTV exec David Hyman. Although the on-demand subscription service received good reviews, it couldn't gain much traction in an already crowded market dominated by heavyweights like Spotify, Pandora, and more.

The company was acquired by then HTC-owned Beats Electronics in 2012 for $14 million. Based on MOG's experience and technology, Beats in January launched Beats Music, directly competing with the likes of Pandora, Spotify, Rdio and Apple's iTunes Radio.

Hyman, who was brought on to steward MOG but was fired after just seven months, filed a lawsuit against Beats last month, claiming he was ousted so that the headphone maker wouldn’t have to pay compensation as per the original acquisition agreement.

The lawsuit came just a couple of weeks before Apple acquired Beats for $3 billion, including both the headphone and streaming businesses.

MOG's monthly billing ceased on May 1st, and the company said that all annual subscriptions would be refunded on a prorated basis. Users should have also received emails with codes they can redeem until June 30th for a 60-day free trial of Beats.

If you want to migrate your playlists to Beats, you can contact MOG support to get them transitioned.

Permalink to story.

Does that mean I can finally uninstall this from my verizon phone?

Does that mean I can finally uninstall this from my verizon phone?
Exactly what I was wondering. On my old RAZR I always disabled it.

Although on my One M8 it's not preloaded. Motorola phones overall still seem to have the most bloatware.

Back