Monitor goes black for 2 second then picture comes back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok what happens is as the title say my 20" monitor goes black for about 2 seconds then the picture comes back comes back, the monitor power light does not go out so i know its not the monitor going of and on. It happens while watching movies and just doing every day normal work on the systems. This is happening on 2 system which are being built for friends.

System 1

20" ACER AL2002W 1680 x 1050
Asus M2A - VM not the HDMI version
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (65W) Dual core socket AM2 2.2Ghz, 512 KB x2 L2 cache
System 1- OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800mhz Platinum XTC Revision 2 2 x 1GB sticks
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HD 7200rpm
LG GH20NS10 Black SATA DVD-Writer 20x
350 watt power supply 20/24pins Model number IP-S350AQ2-0 made by POWER MAN

System 2

20" ACER AL2002W LCD 1680 x 1050 60 Hz
Asus M2A - VM X1250 onboard graphics not the HDMI version
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (65W) Dual core socket AM2 2.2Ghz, 512 KB x2 L2 cache
Mushkin HP2-6400 DDR2-800 High Performance Series 2 x 1GB sticks
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HD 7200rpm
Hauppauge WinTV GO-PLus NTSC 44981 REV E199 TV tuner (the one with the mushkin ram)
LG GH20NS10 Black SATA DVD-Writer 20x
350 watt power supply 20/24pins Model number IP-S350AQ2-0 made by POWER MAN

- Increased the voltage to the ram to 2.1 volts that solved the ram problems i had.
(would crash everytime i ran memtest86 or any memory test software)
- Replaced the motherboard on one system to eliminate a problem with the on board video or the dvi port.
- Used different ram on one system to make sure it wasn't the ocz ram which is why one has mushkin.
Changed to the vga cable to see if that solved the problem checking now by watch 2 movies one at a time.
Next thing i will do is change to a 19" to see if it happens there.

I want to have both dvi and vga working fine so my friend can use the dvi for the computer, and the vga for here laptop.

Any help would be appreciated

Not really a trouble shooter but have you checked the drivers are compatable? and that the os is supported for each.
Newbie, but just a thought.

drivers are compatible

I checked and the drivers are compatible and up to date.
Also it seems to work with the vga cables connected, just has the problem when dvi is connected. I tested the vga for about 5 hours with no problems, also the other system that doesn't have the tv tuner seems to be working fine no problem with the screen going black for a couple of seconds. Which leads me to believe it maybe that the 350 watt power supply isn't enough.

If anyone could confirm this or give me any other possible solutions, I would appreciate it.

similar problem: black screen with M2A-VM HDMI

Hi pnave01!

I|ve got a similar problem, if found your post goggling. I've got the M2A-VM HDMI bord, and as soon as i go to 1680x1050 the screen goes black from time to time for a sec or so. Sometimes it is quite often, sometimes it is rare. If i switch to a lower resolution it is fine. I also see a little bit of snow on the left down corner, again sometimes worse sometimes hardly there.

Did you figure out what was going wrong in the end?

Best
julek

Never did just switched to vga strange thing is that it works fine on one comp but the other it doesn't you may wanna try returning the board and getting a new one seems to be just a bad batch of boards.

i have the same problem i got an Samsung 22 in wide screen running at 1680x 1050 and i have the same problem. I have an EVGA 8800GT and i was looking at the specs. and i saw that my resolution is not on the resolution chart but the card supports higher resolutions... the screen blacking out does not really bother me it only happens to me right when i load up and i only have a 45 second load time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back