Monitor not turning on with new graphics card

xnonox

I installed a new graphics card to my PC and it's using a DVI-I to VGA adapter and it's connected with a VGA (Yes, it IS a DVI-I) When I connect it using that the computer turns on, the monitor turns on, and there is nothing displayed on the monitor. The GPU (gigabyte gtx 770 4gb) is in correctly, I've checked many times. I tried using the mobo graphics and when I do, the monitor stays off and I hear one long beep and 2 short beeps. Whenever my PC turns on the light that shows it's 'loading' goes off after a few seconds and a quick tap of the power switch will shut it off completely. I'm so confused as to what to do and afraid I screwed everything up. I think it's a PSU problem but can't be sure. It's more than enough watts as well.

Have you check your memory. To make sure it is still seated. Sometimes it can get jarred loose. When installing other computer parts .

Have you check your memory. To make sure it is still seated. Sometimes it can get jarred loose. When installing other computer parts .
I just did with no luck:(

Also, could it be I'm using a 8 to 6 pin connector that came with psu instead of the 2 4pins that connect to an 8 pin (which only has 6 pins) that came with the gpu? I don't have 4 pins on my psu and I didn't think that would be a problem.

Last edited:
One long beep and two short beeps in some computers mean video failure. Ok one more thing are the the power connecters from the PSU connected to the video card its self? Plus check in the bios and make sure PCI Express is enabled. If you can get it to post the bios.

One long beep and two short beeps in some computers mean video failure. Ok one more thing are the the power connecters from the PSU connected to the video card its self? Plus check in the bios and make sure PCI Express is enabled. If you can get it to post the bios.
In case you missed it, I just ecited this in...

"Also, could it be I'm using a 8 to 6 pin connector that came with psu instead of the 2 4pins that connect to an 8 pin (which only has 6 pins) that came with the gpu? I don't have 4 pins on my psu and I didn't think that would be a problem."

Also I am not 100% on the one beep and 2 short ones. I can't tell if it's one then 3, or one then 2, it sounds sort of strange and I can't explain it. The beep only happens wheen using my mobo as a video out. Do I get to BIOS by pressing the 'F8' key? I was using a card with pci express bfore, but illsee if I can get that to come up.

I don't think the 8 pin would be a problem. But on my psu I had one 6 pin and the 8 pin seperated in to two 4 pins. The beeps are happening to the on board , Because you have the video card installed. Once the video card is installed the bios turns off the onboard graphics in most computers these days. If need to use the onboard remove the video card. Then start the computer the beeps should stop. and the computer will then boot with the on board video chip.... Are you use the same brand video as the onboard chip is?

I don't think the 8 pin would be a problem. But on my psu I had one 6 pin and the 8 pin seperated in to two 4 pins. The beeps are happening to the on board , Because you have the video card installed. Once the video card is installed the bios turns off the onboard graphics in most computers these days. If need to use the onboard remove the video card. Then start the computer the beeps should stop. and the computer will then boot with the on board video chip.... Are you use the same brand video as the onboard chip is?
Not sure what you mean, but it's a gigabyte video card and a gigabyte motherboard, so yes, I think.

Ok your pin connection should be fine. What I am saying is when you try to connect to the on board video. While the card is still installed . You will get these beeps. Due to the fact the on board chip is disconnected in the bios. Ok were you useing a Amd chip be fore or was it Nividia.

Ok your pin connection should be fine. What I am saying is when you try to connect to the on board video. While the card is still installed . You will get these beeps. Due to the fact the on board chip is disconnected in the bios. Ok were you useing a Amd chip be fore or was it Nividia.
Nvidia. I have no drivers installed at all. How would I do that, the pc turns on fine with my old card.

The pc comes on fine with your old card. Is it nividia. If so do you have drivers still installed for it.. But either way this should not matter if they are both nividia.

The pc comes on fine with your old card. Is it nividia. If so do you have drivers still installed for it.. But either way this should not matter if they are both nividia.
drivers are gone, and they are both nvidia. I can try to use the disc with no card put in..

I really fined it hard this new card will not boot. What size is your PSU. Is it 600 or better. Yes go ahead and try install the drivers. See if that makes a differance

I really fined it hard this new card will not boot. What size is your PSU. Is it 600 or better. Yes go ahead and try install the drivers. See if that makes a differance

It's 700w

installing the drivers stopped when there was no nvidia hardware...

Thanks for your help, but at this point I'm thinking about getting a new one. It's unfortunate though, but if anyone has any ideas feel free:)

Your graphics card requires 1 x 6 pin pci express power and a 1 x 8 pin pcie power connection.

Both of these must be plugged in for the gpu to work. You may need to use molex to pci adapters that are usually supplied with the gpu.

What brand and model power supply do you have? Motherboard and ram would be useful too please.

Last edited:
Back