Monitors power off while gaming. PC still runs fine.

Hey guys,
While playing any game my PC monitors, I'm running two, both power down and enter sleep mode. During this time my pc seems to be running fine. Proof: Skype is running and I can hear and talk to whoever im in call with, and I can still hear my spotify playing with no issues. The monitors just go to sleep/say no signal found. Any help would be Greatly appreciated. Fairly new build, I'd say 4 months old. Video card carried over from previous system as well as PSU and SSD. Monitor power saving options set to turn off after 4 hours of inactivity. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

System specs: CPU-i5 6600k, GPU- Nvidia 770, 750w power supply. RAM-16gb 3000ghz G-Skill, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 128GB, HDD 750gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm, motherboard, MSI Z170A, Water Cooler-NZXT Kraken.

"both power down and enter sleep mode" - which I interpret as there is no signal from the GPU. "any game" - not a specific game, have had several different games experience monitor 'offing' "Skype is running" and "spotify playing" - lots of background program activity

Symptom - monitors go off

Cause? - GPU freeze - something whacked its driver memory space or its operation to give it the 'big sleep'

Root cause? - many to choose from - decide on a logical order and do them - keep notes - check Event Viewer to see if any 'errors' may apply - google "using event viewer" if unfamiliar

Event Viewer errors? fix them
power? remove and reconnect card and all connectors; monitor range of +5v and +12v for variances > 3% from nominal
heat? confirm good ventilation path in case, confirm fan operation, monitor temperature range of GPU with your choice of utility, consider renewing Thermal Paste between Heat Sink and GPU;
software? some utilities and gadgets cause trouble, so if nothing else has helped clean them out, turn them off
drivers? remove all nVidia stuff and use custom install as admin for nVidia drivers only

"both power down and enter sleep mode" - which I interpret as there is no signal from the GPU. "any game" - not a specific game, have had several different games experience monitor 'offing' "Skype is running" and "spotify playing" - lots of background program activity

Symptom - monitors go off

Cause? - GPU freeze - something whacked its driver memory space or its operation to give it the 'big sleep'

Root cause? - many to choose from - decide on a logical order and do them - keep notes - check Event Viewer to see if any 'errors' may apply - google "using event viewer" if unfamiliar

Event Viewer errors? fix them
power? remove and reconnect card and all connectors; monitor range of +5v and +12v for variances > 3% from nominal
heat? confirm good ventilation path in case, confirm fan operation, monitor temperature range of GPU with your choice of utility, consider renewing Thermal Paste between Heat Sink and GPU;
software? some utilities and gadgets cause trouble, so if nothing else has helped clean them out, turn them off
drivers? remove all nVidia stuff and use custom install as admin for nVidia drivers only
What if it does this with my 580 and my 770?

If same thing (both monitors power down while system in use) happens to two different cards, then I would focus on software gadgets and OS drivers, but also monitor voltages for unexpected out-of-spec lows just in case PSU is wonky.

keep notes - check Event Viewer to see if any 'errors' may apply - google "using event viewer" if unfamiliar - share any error codes with name of faulting module/program

Back