Mophie's new battery pack offers 22,000mAh of capacity

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Go big or go home. That’s the mantra behind Mophie’s new Powerstation AC, a massive portable battery pack designed to juice up virtually any and every device you can throw at it.

The Powerstation AC features a gargantuan 22,000mAh battery and a 100W AC output for charging things like laptops and camera batteries that you’d otherwise need a wall outlet for. There’s also a 30W USB Type-C port with USB-PD charging technology and a USB-A port that offers pass-through power to connected devices before the pack itself starts to recharge.

According to Mophie, the Powerstation AC can deliver up to 15 hours of extra battery life to an Apple MacBook.

It also comes equipped with a fabric wrap to provide protection against scratching (it’s likely going to be in your backpack most of the time and you don’t want it scratching everything in sight).

The Mophie Powerstation AC is available as of writing for $199.95. That’s not exactly cheap but then again, this isn’t your ordinary mobile power bank. It’s massive, it includes support for AC output and has some nifty charging technology built in.

With CES less than a week away, I suspect several members of the media will want this for their trip to Vegas.

Permalink to story.

It's a shame that there isn't a standard that allows phones to run off these battery packs instead of simply charging the internal battery. Battery degradation becomes a real issue with the internal battery.

I think I can make one with three times the capacity for that price. Although it would take up more space. But for me it is the capacity that matters more than space.

It's a shame that there isn't a standard that allows phones to run off these battery packs instead of simply charging the internal battery. Battery degradation becomes a real issue with the internal battery.

I believe once the phone is at 100%, it should switch over to just drawing from the USB charger (unless it cannot provide enough charge)?

This still represents 1 cycle though; yes, it'd be great to be able to only charge it to 80% and then run from the charger... (you can with some custom kernels, but it's rare!)

There's lots of 50,000mAh battery banks on ebay for less than $20. Some are pretty nice. I've bought 3 different brands now and haven't had any issues with any of them. Why some people pay $200 for less power storage, I have no idea...

This sounds more like a press release written by Mophie rather than a tech article by Techspot. I'd expect tech experts to be able to point out 20,000 mah powerbanks (even ones with usb c pd) have been in the market for a long time and can be easily obtained at a fraction of this price.

This item is no where near ground breaking and a tech website should be able to give it's own input and assessment of this power bank instead of writing about it like it's the start of 2016.

Which one have you bought?

I think all 3 of the ones I've bought are technically "unbranded". I'm actually looking to get another and have my eye on the ones with LCD displays on them telling the % of charge remaining. Here's the ones I've bought already:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50000mAh-B...hash=item2a46cba245:m:mI9YN-vfGEM4yPKeIor_kkw

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-...hash=item2119256aa9:m:mpaFvEp2Oy98yY5NCT9muGg

and I couldn't find the 3rd. It's all white with no flashlight, 2 USB ports, and microUSB is how it is charged.

Back