Mophie's unveiled an AirPower knock-off that Apple is selling

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Finally: After being unable to bring a multi-device charging station to market itself, Apple has agreed to sell a pair from the charging gurus at Mophie. They are not quite what Cupertino had promised but are definitely better than nothing — if you can stomach the price.

Apple had promised to bring users a multipurpose Qi charging station called the AirPower wireless charging mat. Unfortunately, overheating and technical hurdles led to Apple eventually nixing the project.

Those who were anxiously awaiting the AirPower mat might be pleased to know that Mophie took up the reins and did what Apple could not.

On Friday, Mophie launched two Qi charging stations, which will be available through Apple. The first is a dual-pad charger can juice up an iPhone and AIrPods at the same time. It also has a USB-A port for plugging in a third device.

The second is a 3-in-1 station that is similar to the dual but throws an Apple Watch charging stand into the mix. The design is slightly different in that there is a slight depression below the watch charger to hold a set of AirPods snuggly. Plus the watch stand is perfectly angled to utilized the Apple Watch's nightstand mode.

Both devices provide 7.5W of output for quick charging. Unfortunately, they can only charge one of each device at the same time. You also will not be able to check charging levels from your phone as Apple had planned with the AirPower.

The dual charger goes for about $100 ($80 from Mophie), while the 3-in-1 is $140. The price seems somewhat steep compared with other multi-device chargers. However, it is $10 less than what Apple was planning to charge for the AirPower.

Mophie also unveiled two USB-C car chargers. One is a $25 single port with 18W output. The other is a 12W dual USB-A port, which sells for $30.

All four of the items are available now through the Apple online store or via Mophie's website next week. Also some Apple brick-and-mortar stores will carry them starting next week as well.

Permalink to story.

Apple should stick an Apple logo on it, with SUPER TINY writing "for use with Apple products" that is hard to read without a magnifying loop. Then charge the same as they were going to charge for theirs LOL.

LOL.. a huge company like Apple could not even engineer a working Charger themselves and have to resort to reselling other QI chargers... Pathetic :)

Apple probably has the least competent engineers in the industry.

I bought one of these off EBay.

I bought it specifically to charge my Apple watch, but I use it to charge both my watch and XS MAX.

They work pretty well once you align the coils.

It’s a shame Apple couldn’t get AirPower to work

LOL.. a huge company like Apple could not even engineer a working Charger themselves and have to resort to reselling other QI chargers... Pathetic :)

Apple probably has the least competent engineers in the industry.
Apple had no interest in making yet another Qi charging base like this one. Apple's proposed charger had an obviously better feature set than this and all the others on the market.

In all the existing chargers, you need to put the device in the right spot underneath a coil to ensure fastest charging, hence the little depression in this one for the AirPods case. Apple's charger had overlapping coils so all spots on the pad had equal charging capability, no fiddling to make the best match. Problem is you need to much power to do that because Qi isn't designed to work that way and it got too hot. They tried to do it better but failed.

Back