'MoscowMitch' hashtag trends after election security bills blocked

Bubbajim

Staff
In brief: Republican Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader, on Thursday morning blocked two bills put forth by his Democratic colleagues which had aimed to improve the security of elections. Given the focus on foreign interference in recent elections, notably Russia's "meddling," McConnell earned himself a new nickname in the process -- #MoscowMitch.

Former Special Counsel to the US Department of Justice, Robert Mueller, testified this week on the two volumes of his report investigating election meddling during the 2016 Presidential campaign. Whatever your views on his testimony and the conclusions reached on obstruction of justice, Mr. Mueller was clear about one thing – Russia had attempted to influence the election, and would do so again.

Not 24 hours later, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked two bills submitted by Democrats that aimed to secure future elections, and the public has been quick to react. On Friday, the hashtag #MoscowMitch trended, as people voiced their disapproval of McConnell’s decision.

The two bills had sought to require paper ballots, greater funding of the Election Assistance Commission and an obligation on campaigns to inform the FBI of any offers for help from foreign governments.

On the Senate floor on Thursday morning, McConnell said “it is very important that we maintain the integrity and security of our elections in our country.” So he agrees with the Democrats’ goal, but clearly believes that the bills as presented were not best designed to meet that goal. McConnell called the bills “highly partisan,” and coming from “the same folks who spent two years hyping up a conspiracy theory about President Trump and Russia.”

McConnell didn’t go into specifics as to why the bills were “highly partisan” in his eyes, other than stating that they had only had one Republican vote on their side when they had earlier passed through the House of Representatives, therefore the bill must be partisan.

In response, Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer said that if McConnell objected to the bills as proposed, “let’s put another bill on the floor and debate it.” That didn’t happen, so as of yet, there are no new efforts to secure future US elections in the wake of Robert Mueller’s testimony.

Permalink to story.

"Russia had attempted to influence the election, and would do so again."

Yeah..they've been doing that since the late 60's. China has been doing it since at least the the late 80s. The difference this time is that the Democrats were certain that with nearly the entire TV and Internet media in their pocket they couldn't lose. Turns out the Internet is a two-edged sword and voters either didn't like what the left had actually been doing to the country or the other side's propaganda was just more compelling. So the response, as always, was a never-ending witch hunt for hanging chads. I guess Hillary was really peeved about not being able to sell more uranium to Russia or overthrow more governments that actually have reasonable diplomatic relations with America.

As for the bills, Its likely just another case of the Democrats attaching some poison pill they know the GOP won't swallow. They always do this and the Republicans do it almost as often. The difference is that the media will actually report it when its the latter camp's rider. Every bill put forth by democrats is the same now: more power for government and more free stuff for people who have no legitimate right to it. How do the *grandchildren* of 9-11 first responders have any claim to taxpayer dollars? For that matter how is every secondary consequence of a terrorist attack even the government's responsibility? You sign up to be a firefighter or cop and you should EXPECT to be in harm's way. There are multiple funds and support organizations already in place to deal with long-term injuries and other side effects of CHOOSING to do a dangerous job. But hey, once you're $19 trillion in debt I guess the numbers don't even really matter anymore. We're just circling the drain as the billionaires like Nancy Pelosi fine-tune their exit strategies.

Fair elections have always been the enemy of CONServatives, but it is much more pronounced now.
What surprises me more about the new nickname is that he didn't get it much sooner.

And psycros, that is the biggest collection of stupid I have seen in quite a while. (Well, since Trumps last comments).
Funny, it's the democrats who are trying to change how the USA (a democratic republic) votes with the electoral college (just because their candidate fairly lost). But no, it's somehow only the republicans, who also have to fight against the left leaning mainstream media.

Ps. If you're going to call someone out (@psycros), at least have the balls to do so properly, and with a proper rebuttable lol

The electoral college is outdated by 250 years give or take.

Point one -
Fair elections have always been the enemy of CONServatives, but it is much more pronounced now.
What surprises me more about the new nickname is that he didn't get it much sooner.

And psycros, that is the biggest collection of stupid I have seen in quite a while. (Well, since Trumps last comments).
Funny, it's the democrats who are trying to change how the USA (a democratic republic) votes with the electoral college (just because their candidate fairly lost). But no, it's somehow only the republicans, who also have to fight against the left leaning mainstream media.

Ps. If you're going to call someone out (@psycros), at least have the balls to do so properly, and with a proper rebuttable lol

Liar. Most Dems dont want to change the electoral college. The Bernie Sanders types (which I loath BTW) are the people who talk about that. I know Fox and Limbaugh told you otherwise but they are wrong.Again.

And how much time do you think I have to point out the flaws of idiocy? So here is just one for now.
"Billionaire" Pelosi is worth approx. 30 million, so only off by 940,000,000. And again, I know CONServative talking heads call her a "billionaire Elite", but, you know, wrong again.

@psycros I agree with you 100%. You summed up the current state of affairs in the USA quite well -you said it like it is, no BS. The trend of the left is an abomination for this country. The crap their platform is running on right now is beyond ridiculous: free healthcare and housing for illegals, open borders/no borders, student loan debt cancellation, amnesty for all, fascism and the systematic limitation of free-speech, infanticide and 9th month abortions (but save the polar bears (WTF!?)), world will end unless we go green in 12 years, reparations for slave-descendants...still want to vote for the left? Where's the American citizen in all of this that is supposed to come first in his own country.

And how much time do you think I have to point out the flaws of idiocy? So here is just one for now.
"Billionaire" Pelosi is worth approx. 30 million, so only off by 940,000,000.
That's it? Pointing out what's probably hyperbole as your "rebuttal"? Hahaha, that's weak at best.
The electoral college is outdated by 250 years give or take.

Point one -

Liar. Most Dems dont want to change the electoral college. I know Fox and Limbaugh told you otherwise but they are wrong.Again.
Oh, you must be one of those "#NotMyPresident" people. Ignorant of the democratic states passing bills that pledge that the electoral college will vote for the popular vote candidate. Aka the "National Popular Vote Interstate Compact".

Try again with some logic and facts next time, okay?

That's it? Pointing out what's probably hyperbole as your "rebuttal"? Hahaha, that's weak at best.

Oh, you must be one of those "#NotMyPresident" people. Ignorant of the democratic states passing bills that pledge that the electoral college will vote for the popular vote candidate. Aka the "National Popular Vote Interstate Compact".

Try again with some logic and facts next time, okay?

There is nothing more amusing than a CON asking for facts and logic. Thanks for the laughs.

I never said there weren't Dems wanting to get rid of the EC. Pay attention.

And oh, notmypresident is from the Obama days by, guess who.

@psycros I agree with you 100%. You summed up the current state of affairs in the USA quite well -you said it like it is, no BS. The trend of the left is an abomination for this country. The crap their platform is running on right now is beyond ridiculous: free healthcare and housing for illegals, open borders/no borders, student loan debt cancellation, amnesty for all, fascism and the systematic limitation of free-speech, infanticide and 9th month abortions (but save the polar bears (WTF!?)), world will end unless we go green in 12 years, reparations for slave-descendants...still want to vote for the left? Where's the American citizen in all of this that is supposed to come first in his own country.

Life is pretty simple when you rail against straw men.

There is nothing more amusing than a CON asking for facts and logic. Thanks for the laughs.

And oh, notmypresident is from the Obama days by, guess who.
Hahaha that's what I thought. You have nothing substantial to say, so you deflect (again). Shall we take a look?

Funny, it's the democrats who are trying to change how the USA (a democratic republic) votes with the electoral college (just because their candidate fairly lost).
Liar. Most Dems dont want to change the electoral college. I know Fox and Limbaugh told you otherwise but they are wrong.Again.
Oh look, you suggesting that I was a liar and that the Dems aren't changing the EC (based on whatever Fox or Limabaugh have said). Dem controlled states are passing the NPVIC, thus I am not a liar.
Aaaand here's the deflect:
Oooooh, technically right, but not relevant! You know you said something stupid and devoid of facts, and you aren't willing to admit it (Looks like I am paying attention). Typical leftist (did I get that right? Since you're assuming I'm a "CON" lol).

So, try again with some logic and facts. And this time don't deflect.

Last edited:
What utterly amazes me is that anyone defends any politicians. Utterly laughable that so many people hate one side while loving the other when they are so similarly morally corrupt. IMO many politicians start out as real human beings but the whole broken, deranged system grinds that humanity out of them very quickly.
Yes, the ideals are quickly beat out of them and they become the very thing that they started out hating.

Although there are a few like Chris Christie, who couldn't do a job involving manual labor, so they set their sights on being, "god dammed fat and god dammed important", at a very early age.

An NPVIC bill has been introduced in all 50 states. And is in force in all of 15.

Though I can see why a CON would not want it. Without the ancient EC we would probably never see a R. president again.

Yep, Heaven on Earth.

Do any of you really want ro go bad to the "hanging chad" debacle of 2000? :https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h916.html

Our balloting machines aren't online, and the officials at the polling stations work from 8:00 AM until 10: PM as it is. With paper ballots mandatory, there's a chance you wouldn't get election results for a day and a half.

If voters listen to and believe every piece of hogwash and bullsh!t the Russians stuff into their iPhones, I don't see how that's the US government's fault.

An NPVIC bill has been introduced in all 50 states. And is in force in all of 15.

Though I can see why a CON would not want it. Without the ancient EC we would probably never see a R. president again.

Yep, Heaven on Earth.
That's what I thought. Grow a pair next time, hit that 'reply' button to who you're replying to (I know you know about it), don't try to weasel your way out of things, and learn to admit when you're wrong.
You've proven yourself to be worse than any "DemocRAT" or "CONservative" (as the id!ots on both sides like to do).

Oh, and FYI, I am not a republican or democrat. So nice assumption and all, they made for a good laugh.

"Russia had attempted to influence the election, and would do so again."

Yeah..they've been doing that since the late 60's. China has been doing it since at least the the late 80s. The difference this time is that the Democrats were certain that with nearly the entire TV and Internet media in their pocket they couldn't lose. Turns out the Internet is a two-edged sword and voters either didn't like what the left had actually been doing to the country or the other side's propaganda was just more compelling. So the response, as always, was a never-ending witch hunt for hanging chads. I guess Hillary was really peeved about not being able to sell more uranium to Russia or overthrow more governments that actually have reasonable diplomatic relations with America.

As for the bills, Its likely just another case of the Democrats attaching some poison pill they know the GOP won't swallow. They always do this and the Republicans do it almost as often. The difference is that the media will actually report it when its the latter camp's rider. Every bill put forth by democrats is the same now: more power for government and more free stuff for people who have no legitimate right to it. How do the *grandchildren* of 9-11 first responders have any claim to taxpayer dollars? For that matter how is every secondary consequence of a terrorist attack even the government's responsibility? You sign up to be a firefighter or cop and you should EXPECT to be in harm's way. There are multiple funds and support organizations already in place to deal with long-term injuries and other side effects of CHOOSING to do a dangerous job. But hey, once you're $19 trillion in debt I guess the numbers don't even really matter anymore. We're just circling the drain as the billionaires like Nancy Pelosi fine-tune their exit strategies.
The big difference with this bill is that it has bipartisan support, and the Republican led intelligence committee is owning up to the fact that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election. Yet Mitch still could not give a f-ck because whatever it takes to win is whatever he will do.

Last edited:
...[ ]....Oh, and FYI, I am not a republican or democrat. So nice assumption and all, they made for a good laugh.

My city hasn't had a Republican mayor in well over 50 years.. Thus, the Democrat who is nominated, will, with virtual certainty, become the next mayor.

You do have to pick a party and register, to have any say in the nomination process. (independents don't get to vote in primaries). Obviously it makes no sense for me to register Republican.

Last edited:
My name is Rush Limbaugh and I support this message.

Back