Most Windows 10 PCs are now running the Fall Creators Update

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft in October launched the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, delivering a bundle of small and medium-sized improvements to customers utilizing Microsoft’s latest operating system. If data from cross-promotion network AdDuplex is at all accurate, Microsoft is likely pleased with the update’s adoption rate thus far.

According to AdDuplex, an impressive 85 percent of PCs running Windows 10 have installed the Fall Creators Update. In some countries like Canada, Germany and Finland, the update has a market share of over 90 percent although others such as China and India bring the global average down with adoption rates in the 60 percent range.

The original Creators Update has a market share of 8.1 percent while the Anniversary Update, launched in mid-2016, has a current install base of 5.1 percent.

AdDuplex notes that growth is obviously slowing down as the next major update is imminent.

Speaking of, Microsoft is rumored to be putting the finishing touches on an update tentatively known as the Spring Creators Update. We don’t know a ton about the update, codenamed Redstone 4, just yet although most expect the Timeline feature to be one of its flagship highlights.

Microsoft will likely unwrap the Spring Creators Update at its annual Build conference. This year’s developer conference takes place in Seattle on May 7-9, overlapping Google’s I/O conference scheduled for May 8-10.

Permalink to story.

The spring update is coming late this yr? I remember that march and sept. would be the announcements then the actual rollouts would be in april n oct. thats hows its been the past 2 yrs. I doubt the spring update is coming that late, hell that puts it into summer then a fall one would follow like 3 months later, doesnt make any sense. unless the fall one is now later in the yr now.
the naming of spring n it falling into summer is id*otic.

I have had very little trouble with W10 updates. Here's a thread I created here on TS.
I have found 5 ways to install W10 updates.
1) The preferred way is the automatic update method, but that doesn't always work.
2) You can go to setting and click on Update and Security. Then click on "Check for updates
3) You can go here and click on "Update now". This will give you the update assistant tool.
4) You can also create a media creation tool and give it a try. This is a great tool to have in your desk drawer. It will help you repair and reinstall Windows when issues come up at a latter time.
5) If all the above methods fail you can use the Windows update Catalog to install the updates manually. You should make sure that your computer is compatible and can run W10.
Finally you can also do a clean install, which is the best install of W10 that you will ever get.
PS. Check here to see if your PC can run W10. Here's a good link for getting your PC ready for the updates. I hope this helps someone to successfully install W10 updates.
Here's a link to check if your PC is freezing or locking up when installing the updates
Good luck. I hope you are successful with the updates. They are very important.

Last edited:
Is there a way to disable the stupid windows update? Now it enables the update service regardless how many times I DISABLE it. Also have deleted all task schedules for updates and they reappeared on their OWN. Its complete malware this windows 10...

Is there a way to disable the stupid windows update? Now it enables the update service regardless how many times I DISABLE it. Also have deleted all task schedules for updates and they reappeared on their OWN. Its complete malware this windows 10...
Windows updates are for your protection. IMHO it's not a good idea to disable them.

Last edited:
The procedure below prevents the service from running by changing the account credentials used to run the service. Note that Windows Defender will still be able to update virus definitions, but no other Windows OS updates will occur.
Win+R to open Run dialog (must be administrator)
Open: services.msc
Double click Windows Update service to open properties
Click Stop to halt the service.
Click the Log On tab
Select Log on as: This account: .\Guest
Leave password blank
Click Apply

4 old desktops and 1 very old laptop running windows 10 (2 old desktops are running FCU: i3-530, i3-3240)

Headline should read, "Windows 10 running whatever version Microsoft forces on them."

Headline should read, "Windows 10 running whatever version Microsoft forces on them."
Hi You have a choice to revert back to older Windows versions. Here's all the windows ISO files. Myself I'm staying with W10. Please create a back up image before restoring to earlier windows OS,s. That way if some thing goes wrong, you can always get back to where you were. LOL
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

Here's all the W10 updates. You can use the windows catalog to install the updates manually. You need to start a thread about your problem.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history
https://www.lifewire.com/when-windows-update-gets-stuck-or-frozen-2624439
Nope this does not help with the problem.

The procedure below prevents the service from running by changing the account credentials used to run the service. Note that Windows Defender will still be able to update virus definitions, but no other Windows OS updates will occur.
Win+R to open Run dialog (must be administrator)
Open: services.msc
Double click Windows Update service to open properties
Click Stop to halt the service.
Click the Log On tab
Select Log on as: This account: .\Guest
Leave password blank
Click Apply
Yes! You are golden! It does not update anymore! Thank you!

Nope this does not help with the problem.

Yes! You are golden! It does not update anymore! Thank you!
Hopefully this will last, but I wouldn't count on it. There is a good reason for W10 updates and unless you have W10 Pro, you may still be bugged by updates in the future. Hopefully this works for you. Let us know how things go for you!

Up until the FCU I was quite happy with Windows 10 and it's subsequent updates. But FCU completely crippled pen functionality with my Wacom, and seems to do the same for people using MS own tablet/convertibles with pens. Instead of functioning like a mouse-equivalent, it's now become a finger-equivalent. I was used to operating my PC almost 99 percent with my Wacom pen, now I have to use the mouse for certain tasks because I just can't click on certain things with the pen anymore, or select text on a webpage or document, because then it starts scrolling the page as if I'm dragging my finger on a touchscreen. It's infuriating. I have a desktop PC only! No touch, no tablet.
It's funnny because I would think that "Creators" would be exactly the audience that would be using pen tablets a lot. This update has done nothing except make creators' lives miserable.

Some links to discussions on this issue:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...y-has-Creators-Update-Fall-treated/m-p/133697

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/14277341/

Sadly, after some initial responses by MS representatives who claimed they were going to keep "valued pen users" updated on a solution, they've gone completely silent for weeks now. I'm very dissapointed with MS. Finally with Windows 8-10 my Wacom tablet seemed to be able to work ok (after some tweaks) without stupid cursor rings, ripples, delays and all the other crap we had to put up with under W7, and now this. I was even considering getting a Surface Pro for on the go but I've held off on that purchase until they fix or revert this.
Sadly nobody at MS seems to care.

Last edited:
Back