Motherboard not booting up, possible power surge

Hello,

Back story: built a new comp within last 2 weeks, parts bought from newegg

Problem: Last night we had a storm in the area and I think a nearby transformer was blown since while using my new comp a extremely loud POP came from outside, the power flickered for just a moment and my session was not interrupted.

Only problem I noticed immediately was that I lost internet. The computer worked fine.

I'm tired thinking the modem reset and head to bed, I get home today and start up my comp, internet is still down. I go reset the modem and nothing changes, ran windows diagnostic and it tells me I'm either having a hardware or driver issue. I uninstall the drivers and reinstall, it attempts to connect but no dice.(permanent yellow/orange light coming from port, only turns off when I disconnect the PSU cable from the system)

At this point I decide I will cut my losses since the port probably got fried and go pickup a ethernet card. As I'm getting ready to leave I remember I have a old one laying around, find it, disconnect my computer and install the card. Put everything back together and press start....nothing happens.

So..I'm thinking maybe I didn't push the card all the way into the PCI slot, I fiddle with a few things make sure it gets in nice and tight, try again...nothing. Telling myself its a old card and maybe doesn't work I go and buy a new card, stick it in...nothing.

The MoBo's lights turn on, the Ethernet port still light still turns on, I can hear the power go in, but the thing won't start. I cannot tell if its another problem or the board itself is fried (it worked fine for 2-3 startups no issues, after the surge, including a reset for the drivers)

I took the graphics card out, RAM out, disconnected all the drives, still nothing. Am I SOL or did I do something

A important question you may have, No I did not have a Surge protector, I had moved the system to the living room and neglected to bring the surge protector with me :(

Sadly, you did what the Fire Department advises against. That was bound to happen.
A few possible chances are:
1) The CPU got fried
2) The PSU (Power Supply) is busted
3) The HDD is dead
The lights staying on, I've seen, happens when the PSU is retaining the charge unnaturally long.
However, if it is functional and healthy, it's probably the RAM. It's the most electronically sensitive part.
You still can't neglect the mobo being fried.

The power supply is the first thing to swap, because it is directly connected to you house AC power. A surge protector may not have been too useful in this situation either. Only a good UPs (uninterruptable power supply) could have saved your computer from this kind of damage. I have a 1000 watt APC UPs. By the nature of its design, the computer is isolated from the main AC house power

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you (OP will deliver yes?)

After taking Marnomancer's excellent ideas and the near confirmation of Tmagic650 it turned out the Power supply got boned after I interrupted the flow when I unplugged everything. It took me awhile to test each individual item since nothing I have at home is compatible with the new comp.

While my Ethernet port is still out (supposedly forever, I do have a new PCI card for it), I will have to replace the Power Supply in order to get back in gear. Thanks for the advice.

Back