Motorola Droid 4 unboxing, hands-on video

Julio Franco

Staff member

The Droid is dead, long live the Droid. The Motorola Droid 4, that is. This time around, Motorola's keyboard-toting Android smartphone features a 4-inch qHD resolution display, a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, dual HD capable cameras, and support for Verizon's uber fast LTE data network. It also offers users the best keyboard available on a horizontal sliding to date - it's that good.

On somewhat of a downer, no matter that Google now owns Motorola, the Droid 4 started shipping this weekend still running Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread. Motorola has promised an update to Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich for the second quarter. Check out the video below for unboxing and initial hands-on impressions of the new device:

Keeping in tradition with its predecessors, the Droid 4 has a slide-out landscape QWERTY keyboard beneath its display. The Droid 4's keyboard features five rows and edge-lit keys for easier typing in the dark. Despite the slide-out keyboard, the Droid 4 is still just half an inch thick.

motorola droid android motorola qwerty smartphone

The Droid 4's 4-inch display runs at 540 x 960 pixels with scratch and scrape resistant glass. It has 16GB of internal storage and supports microSD memory cards of up to 32GB in capacity. The phone's primary 8 megapixel camera features 1080p HD video capture and the device is compatible with a variety of Motorola's Webtop accessories. The new Droid 4 became available this past Saturday for $199.99 from Verizon.

Permalink to story.

I just got the Droid Razr with the bigger battery. It doesn't have the slide keyboard but it sure is thin. D4 looks basically the same but thicker. So far I like the OS but I am definitely looking forward to updating to ICS. I would have preferred the 4460 in the Nexus but the 4430 is plenty fast and uses slightly less power.

Back