Motorola lowers the price, ups the refresh rate on the G Power 2022

Humza

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Motorola’s 2021 refresh of the G Power was disappointing, but the upcoming model could end up on the budget buyer’s shopping list, given the $50 lower price point at launch than its predecessors. While there are a few questionable spec changes for the G Power 2022, the 90Hz refresh rate display and 128GB storage option are upgrades worth considering.

The G Power 2022 is still a 4G phone, but most budget buyers will find that perfectly acceptable. They might also not notice that Motorola has switched from a Qualcomm SoC to a MediaTek Helio chip (G37) this time around. The hardware to appreciate in this affordable Android is the chunky 5,000mAh battery, a smoother display, decent cameras and connectivity, and Android 11 out of the box.

Motorola has returned to offering a 4GB/64GB configuration in the $200 base model while increasing the memory/storage combo to 4GB/128GB on the $250 higher-end version. Both variants feature microSD expansion slots for adding another 512GB on top. While the 6.5-inch display is still a 720p LCD, it’s now a faster 90Hz panel that should offer the ideal mix of performance and efficiency. Interestingly, Motorola still boasts a 3-day battery life with this device.

The G Power’s rear triple-camera setup has also been redesigned and now packs an updated 50MP/2MP/2MP array, while the 8MP selfie shooter that's been moved to the top center is unchanged from the predecessor. Other hardware features carried over include the 3.5mm jack, rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity, IP52 water protection, and the USB Type-C 2.0 charging port.

Motorola says the G Power 2022 will be initially available in the US at Republic Wireless and Metro by T-Mobile in the coming months, followed by other carrier versions and universally unlocked models early next year. Canadian buyers will also be able to purchase it around the same time.

Permalink to story.

My wife and I both use Motorola phones, they are actually quite good, great even when you consider the price. We do month to month so we never buy phones as part of our contract. At $200-$300 we can afford to purchase the phone and use it for 2 or 3 years and then purchase a new one if we feel like we need an upgrade. Great screen resolution, great features, great cameras. I hope they keep it up because I would never consider buying a $500-$1000 phone as long as there are great options at a fraction of the price.

Still a huge dissapointment. 720p screen in 2022, mediatek processor instead of snapdragon, mono speaker, bleh.

Oh, it's 90 hz? Well why not do a 640x480 240hz screen then, really get the "fast blurry garbage" effect? The cheaper moto e has a 1080p screen now, why on earth is th G stuck with 2007 peasant resolution? AND the moto E gets a snapdragon 700 series. Just WTH happened to the G here?

I guess I'll have to stop buying moto g powers and switch back to pixel a phones or samsungs.

Last edited:
Still a huge dissapointment. 720p screen in 2022, mediatek processor instead of snapdragon, mono speaker, bleh.

Oh, it's 90 hz? Well why not do a 640x480 240hz screen then, really get the "fast blurry garbage" effect? The cheaper moto e has a 1080p screen now, why on earth is th G stuck with 2007 peasant resolution? AND the moto E gets a snapdragon 700 series. Just WTH happened to the G here?

I guess I'll have to stop buying moto g powers and switch back to pixel a phones or samsungs.

There's a lot of good options the Samsung A series - The Pixel lites- or Pixel get in quick sale or refurnished .

For a lot of people all they need is a decent phone -with a decent camera ( photos taken in good backlight , not too close to lense, or needing no zoom with look great from just about any phone )- ie your classic f8/250 shot from say 5 metres to infinity on 100iso

I bought an A71 5G back in July. Had a OnePlus 7T. Why the "downgrade"?
Because even after the screwing around hack to get ALL of the features of my Galaxy3 watch to work with the OnePlus, it wouldn't. So I got the A71. VERY impressed. Fast enough, clear enough, 2 day battery life (I keep 5G turned off, not needed). Camera is good enough (I have a REAL camera).
If more people would see that a mid range is "good enough" and stop buying the overpriced benchmark winners, maybe the price would come down.

Why not a 900p screen? A little more resolution, but easy on the battery. Still can't find any specs on the Mediatek G37. Must be grand spanking new.

Back